Thread: Warping Texture (40th)

Warping Texture (40th)

Hi,

I added a Warping 3D procedural texture,
    in all RmanCollect Textures and Nodes versions.

Based on Domain Warping notes from Inigo Quilez.
    Warping is a set of various ways to combine Fractal Brownian Motion (FBM),
    combining colors as well, mainly used as 2D textures, they are implemented here as full 3D procedural.

-Apply as procedural texture to surface color, bump channel or any other texture channel.

-Select "Smoke I","Smoke II","Swirl Smoke","Turbulence","Fluid I","Fluid II","Fluid III",
    "Alabaster","Corroded" or "Rust-Marble".
    Of course those names don't reflect all possible usages, depending how the texture is set and applied
    against a black or white background, with pure luminosity or diffusion/specularity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corroded.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	145874 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alabaster.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	145875 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rust-marble.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	352.6 KB 
ID:	145876 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marble.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	145877 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluid2_frost.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	145878

-Two Colors may be blended with different methods, classic "Mixing" or more complicated "Mixture",
    with "Mixture", Colors may be inversed in tone and intensity.

-All types have a "Frequency" for increasing details, "Offset" for animating and "Seed".

-There's no blending Color with "Swirl Smoke", has also specific "Swirl" ans Steps" parameters.

-"Corroded" has a special "Color Shift" parameter used with "Mixture" blending,
    this add spectral colors to grey (Colors set to white and black).

-Note: Bump is often unusable with high octaves/frequency texture type.

Several sample animations, first is a scene with 3 Null and HV Sprites (smoking)
    one has Texture displacement,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smoking.gif 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	145879 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	displaced_fluid2.gif 
Views:	81 
Size:	884.6 KB 
ID:	145880 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluid3.gif 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	145881 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turb2.gif 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	145882 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluid2.gif 
Views:	51 
Size:	970.6 KB 
ID:	145883

Denis.

Like this one, thank you very much.

Very nice ! Thanks Denis
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Cool

Nice one Denis. Downloaded and I will check it out soon.

Thanks, and you are at it again with textures..great.

One thing, not related to these ones.
    Some of your textures like Gardner clouds, they do not have any falloff functions, I think neither nodal and texture versions.

That falloff function is important when you want to address a cloud falloff from bottom to height etc, and I havenīt figured out a way to adress it with nodes properly and easy..so why not implement falloff for those, just like
    all other lw procedural generally have.

Thanks for the new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...Some of your textures like Gardner clouds, they do not have any falloff functions, I think neither nodal and texture versions...
    When using Texture procedurals native or else, you get always falloff parameters,
    since this is a builtin feature, you can get it also in the Procedural node.

About RmanCollect nodes, depends of the amount of work, backward compatibility etc.

btw, in the native 2D procedurals nodes, but can't get the falloff to work in 2019.

Denis.

...Some of your textures like Gardner clouds, they do not have any falloff functions...
    I added Falloff panel tab to nodes in RmanNodeCollect, all versions.

Denis.

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post
    I added Falloff panel tab to nodes in RmanNodeCollect, all versions.

Denis.
    Awesome,you rock..you deserve your own sticky threads.
    This have a great impact on how you can flatten or have bottom areas lesser affected by the cloud noise, without having to wrestle too much with nodes.

I do see an issue with some of the rman node textures when it concerns the falloff, the fallof works...but if you look at the other native textures, if you reference a texture to a null and use world coordinates, which is what you normally want to use for changing the texture scale and position, with native textures ..you can still change scale within the texture even if they are referenced and using world coordinates,

so if I set a fallof with the fbm texture to have a flat bottom, I can then also move the texture within the texture position values..whic also impacts where the fallof is happening, with rman textures you can not do that, so I will have the same falloff and texture position that doesnīt respect these individual postion options.

I do see an issue with some of the rman node textures when it concerns the falloff, the fallof works...but if you look at the other native textures, if you reference a texture to a null and use world coordinates, which is what you normally want to use for changing the texture scale and position, with native textures ..you can still change scale within the texture even if they are referenced and using world coordinates,

so if I set a fallof with the fbm texture to have a flat bottom, I can then also move the texture within the texture position values..whic also impacts where the fallof is happening, with rman textures you can not do that, so I will have the same falloff and texture position that doesnīt respect these individual postion options.
    Not sure to follow your description,
    If I set a 3D Texture nodal, native or RmanCollect to a Null Reference and World Coordinates,
    in both cases, texture scaling has no effect on texture & falloff, but both are scaled with Null scaling,
    (edit) OK I see it.

Denis.
    Last edited by dpont; 09-12-2019 at 10:48 AM.

...with native textures ..you can still change scale within the texture even if they are referenced and using world coordinates...

I modified the Reference transformations to be combined with Texture transformations,
    instead of pure replacement.

I didn't test this fully, to know if this mimic the native procedural nodes behavior with Reference.

Older scene or preset using Referenced will behave differently, in this case reset
    all texture transformations.

Denis.

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post
    I modified the Reference transformations to be combined with Texture transformations,
    instead of pure replacement.

I didn't test this fully, to know if this mimic the native procedural nodes behavior with Reference.

Older scene or preset using Referenced will behave differently, in this case reset
    all texture transformations.

Denis.
    It now works here, You are super Denis, thank you for your speedy work on this...awesome.
    I have to do some things for you soon.
    See you around.