Thread: Macros Pads

Macros Pads

Hello.

What is everyone’s favorite macro pads to use with their Tricaster? We’ve been using X-keys, but they keep falling apart on us, so I want to try something new. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Imry

Hi Imry,

I've assembled and used a large number of different X-Keys panels and have also placed them with many of our customers and no issues of "falling apart" - what specifically is happening? If it is just the keycap cover coming off, I did once get a "bad batch" that did not retain tightly and they were promptly replaced and no more problem.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

We have 4 x-key units. 3 are installed in our control rooms. One is mobile with our TC Mini.
    All have lots of caps falling off. Just from normal usage. Nothing special.
    We put the caps back on, and they fall off again.
    It's gotten to a point where we don't even both with the caps, and just leave them all off. That's not great.

Interesting, I only had that ever happen that once with the bad batch and replacements were fine. Any chance the labels underneath are interfering with the fit of the keycaps? I print and cut my own key labels and if paper stock is too thick, or not quite trimmed small enough, the key cap doesn't get to snap on completely then due to interference. Xkeys Support has always been very helpful to me - I'd email them and tell them your keycaps won't stay on, they will probably send replacements at no charge.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

I'll try that.
    I don't think it's the labels. They're pretty tight.

Remove the keycap and hold it upside down. Place the label inside the keycap. It should float, meaning move freely/loosely in the cap. If it is tight/wedged in there, the caps WILL NOT stay on since the label is keeping the cap from seating fully. If you turn the key cap over and the label does not just fall out - it is too tight, cut too large, and will cause issues.

I use the .pdf key templates from Xkeys.com to create my labels in Photoshop and print them. When I cut out the labels with a scissors, I cut on the INSIDE of the template lines. I often use glossy photo paper for more vibrant color on the labels, looks much better, and even that thicker material works fine as long as label is cut small enough to float, not jammed tight into the cap.

Thanks

Jeff
    Last edited by JPulera; 09-04-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    Jeff Pulera

I have heard good feedback about the Novation Launchpads. Color coded. Recall others using sharpie to lable buttons and could clean them off with rubbing alcohol

Thanks! I ordered a Novation pad. Should arrive next week. We'll see how it does.

I spoke with X-Keys. They said this is known issue with the model I got. Nothing I can really do about it for now.

Which model of X-Keys should I avoid please?

We use (or used to use) X-keys XK-24 USB Keypad.

Andrew Carlson
    I've used Touch OSC a lot with ipads. Its a bit of work to make all the keys assign "notes" to them but you get total control of the layout. There's a pretty good "Tip Jar" post about using it. I can send photos and out layouts that we use if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by imryh View Post
    Hello.

What is everyone’s favorite macro pads to use with their Tricaster? We’ve been using X-keys, but they keep falling apart on us, so I want to try something new. Any ideas?
    LivePanel offers a lot of possibilities for external control.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")