Thread: Oh the Noise nosie nosie, I am starting feel like the Grinch!

Oh the Noise nosie nosie, I am starting feel like the Grinch!

The de-spike seem to work across image but the Noise is still everywhere, What settings need to changed? then, why are the base settings set for poor results? speed? I have been reading the boards for a long time, only post a few times over the years, but this Noise, oh the noise, the Grinch rants on...

The fixes are vague and inconsistent, heck the on-line manual does not show 2019.1.2 windows or tools in the noise reduction section.

Firefly's are still rendered but filtered out, along with some of (All of us) my models fine detail get filtered out.

NT make a camera with settings that remove (not render them it you can) noise, a high detail camera if you will, or is that my time to blow?

I have carefully read through the posts over the Months since 2018 first was released regrading noise there seems not to be a single fix, a lot of patching, but no fixes.

What settings need to set as default to remove the noise?

The Attached has a despike of .8 and cpu 3 and .1

Has any one built and current set of surfaces for today's presets?

Sorry for rant, I just needed to hold my ears is been so noisy.

file:///V:/Architecture/CGW/CGW-Crates/CrateDk.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrateDk.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	145870  
    Ron Schatz
    Image Grille
    www.imagegrille.com

Hey Ron,

I suspect that what you're seeing as noise, isn't really noise. There are settings in several areas that could be contributing but w/o knowing what you're using now, every suggestion would be a futile effort frankly.

FWIW, I never use the noise or Despike as they REMOVE fine detail, nor should you need to.

Lighting, surfacing, Camera & Render settings, etc. can be factors. I suspect though that if I was to examine your scene, I'd find some typical culprits.

Most common point of problems is usually this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shading Model Tab.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	145871

Until you come across a surface that particularly needs it, under the Shading Model Tab, set ALL surfaces to: Glossy Reflections unchecked, Raytrace Only.

Under the Material Tab, set all surfaces Diffusion to 100% and Spec to 0%. Again, you can bring that back on an as-needed basis but until then it'll be fighting you.

This is what I'm typically using for Render Settings:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenderSets.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	145872 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GI Sets.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	145873

I've no idea what you've got going on lighting-wise, but that can be a factor too, but much less than the above.

As an end note, these are my workflow results after watching RebelHills LSR series at least 3 times.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

I haven't used the new PBR renderer yet.

I'm guessing you need more Global Illumination rays or secondary bounce rays (if that's still a thing).
    Try taking out the Fog and see if you have the same problem.

Don't forget light samples too - the defaults are too low. Keep in mind the base settings of a cleared scene are really set up fairly fast VPR feedback.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

and surface roughness, if too high its just going to be noise
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

My guess, increase camera samples, light samples...and ray samples for the GI...it often needs a lot to get away with noise and they seem to work in sync..so donīt expect just light samples would fix it alone,or camera samples.

GI 30-40 rays at least, camera samples maybe 10-20, and the same for lights, check at minor resolutions..and then when it looks smooth, try and decrease light and camera samples if you can without getting it back to uggly noise.

Try this workflow chart: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...Noise+workflow. It's true that it doesn't have pictures from 2019.1, but the principles are the same.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

a Very nice guide.  

sidenote; sorry I couldn't make it when you were in Oslo BeeVee, i was literally swamped/exhausted with work.  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

also see, intel Denoiser - by DPont
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...P-Filter/page5

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    sidenote; sorry I couldn't make it when you were in Oslo BeeVee, i was literally swamped/exhausted with work.
    No worries, Erikals. We were only in town for the evening, but we did have nice Italian at Mamma Pizza, my wife had a crappy fall, and we went to see a charity screening of A Silent Voice at Cinemateket with all proceeds going to Kyoto Animation.

All the best,

B
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM

Those are nice places. And love seeing movies at Cinemateket, they always roll good reels.
    Shame about a fall, next time that happens (happens all the time to me) get one of those stretch bandages. They help a lot.

...had to go out for an Italian Pizza now...  

...hope the Scandinavia trip was Great  

It was a fantastic taster. Next time we want to come for longer (funds willing) and go further north. Where we were the countryside was very like England! I had expected more pines but the trees were oak, sycamore, larch, willow We have friends with the surname Gotland, so it would be fun to send them a postcard from Visby. It was great doing it by train too

B