Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connect - deselect points after use..?

Connect - deselect points after use..?

Hi,

I use the 'connect' tool a lot to split polygons. I tend to use the pen tool to draw a n-gon, then turn it into quads by selecting pairs of points, and using 'connect'.
    I'm a bit frustrated though, as after using 'connect' it leaves the points selected, so I have to manually deselect them before moving on to the next pair. It's a bit of a pain.
    I vaguely remember that the tool used to deselect the points after use, but I'm not sure if:

1) my memory is playing tricks on me

2) There is an behaviour option I haven't stumbled across

3) Maybe there's a better tool that does what I want. Add edges comes close, but there's a lot of dragging and right-clicking.

Any thoughts..?

Cheers

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by kyuzo View Post
    Hi,

I use the 'connect' tool a lot to split polygons. I tend to use the pen tool to draw a n-gon, then turn it into quads by selecting pairs of points, and using 'connect'.
    I'm a bit frustrated though, as after using 'connect' it leaves the points selected, so I have to manually deselect them before moving on to the next pair. It's a bit of a pain.
    I vaguely remember that the tool used to deselect the points after use, but I'm not sure if:

1) my memory is playing tricks on me

2) There is an behaviour option I haven't stumbled across

3) Maybe there's a better tool that does what I want. Add edges comes close, but there's a lot of dragging and right-clicking.

Any thoughts..?

Cheers

Derek
    Maybe you confuse that with the make poly tool "p" I donīt think connect has ever behaved like deselecting the points after using connect..I think that is how it works and it works like that in edge mode as well with edges selected after a connect cut between edges.

slicing is the same, often you may want to slice just one part and continue to use it on other parts without having it active with a continuous slice.
    There is an option to change how a modeling tool behaves, for quick cut and bandsaw and make poly, but nothing unfortunately for the newer slice, line pen and connect tool.
    I would want to enable continuous draw with line pen, and for slice disable the active tool so I can slice directly on other parts.

The Line pen tool may/should work in this case, you just need to set it to snap to vertex only.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Maybe you confuse that with the make poly tool "p" I donīt think connect has ever behaved like deselecting the points after using connect..I think that is how it works and it works like that in edge mode as well with edges selected after a connect cut between edges.

slicing is the same, often you may want to slice just one part and continue to use it on other parts without having it active with a continuous slice.
    There is an option to change how a modeling tool behaves, for quick cut and bandsaw and make poly, but nothing unfortunately for the newer slice, line pen and connect tool.
    I would want to enable continuous draw with line pen, and for slice disable the active tool so I can slice directly on other parts.

The Line pen tool may/should work in this case, you just need to set it to snap to vertex only.

I would give you a tip though, if you use the pen tool to draw some shapes and want to have them divided into quads, simply just triple it "shift-t" then construct merge triangles, mostly this will yield quads connected just the same as if you would have manually connected it, but it depends a bit on how you want it to connect.

Coffe not working yet on me...thatīs why I accidently made a quote by myself, and not editing the last post.

This is what I use, it is based on a script by Ernest Chan with some modifications.. it was too long ago to remember where this came from.
    Code:
    @script modeler
    @name Connect+
    // created by Ernest Chan
    // use at your own risk.

main
    {
    	selmode(USER); // user selection

cmdseq("Connect"); // run Connect command

cmdseq("Deselect All"); // run Connect command

}
    Last edited by Danner; 09-03-2019 at 08:43 AM.

I thought I made something that OP was asking for...8D
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    I thought I made something that OP was asking for...8D
    Thanks, it works just fine under Lightwave 2019.

The question though, what is fastest and smoothest..to use it or use line pen?

With lilne pen you have to snap your cursor exactly on the vertices..connect + doesnīt, but no further key input is needed once you place your mouse cursor on the vertices with the line pen tool,
    though you still have to choose the pen either through a button or shortcut..so that is equalized with a plugin that you need a shortcut for anyway.

With connect + you have to select both two points, either manually point by point or lasso select then hit whatever shortcut you set it to be.

if you plan to connect several segment and a lot of connections, maybe the line pen is smoother as long as you have no problem of accuracy when hovering over the vertices, that way you only need to start the tool then click and click to the next point without having to select all the time.

Thanks very much for the varied suggestions guys.

Prometheus: Thanks for giving your recollection that the behaviour of Connect hasn't changed. The slice tool is one which seemed to have passed me by in my jump from 9.6 to 2018, but it looks like it's doing what I was using the connect tool for, so that's going to be a big help.
    Good tip about using triangulate and then merge triangles. I will definitely give that a go, as it wil speed up some parts of my work.

Danner & Ernest Chan : Thanks for that script to run connect and then deselect. I'll definitely tuck that away too.

This is why I love this forum. I ask a question, and get three solid solutions.

Cheers,

Derek

Okay, quick follow up..

Inspired by Ernest's lscript, I'd like to do something similar with 'Create Rows'.

A mild irritation I can now see a potential to fix, woudl be to run 'Create Rows', then 'Merge Points', then deselect the points.

I've tried:

cmdseq("mergepoints");

and

cmdseq("Merge Points");

but LW doesn't recognise either of them. Where would I find the command to merge points?
    Also, as it throws up a panel, requiring 'enter' to be pressed, is there a way to build that in? preferably before the final deselection, so only the new points are merged.

Cheers,

Derek

Thanks very much for the varied suggestions guys.

Prometheus: Thanks for giving your recollection that the behaviour of Connect hasn't changed. The slice tool is one which seemed to have passed me by in my jump from 9.6 to 2018, but it looks like it's doing what I was using the connect tool for, so that's going to be a big help.
    Good tip about using triangulate and then merge triangles. I will definitely give that a go, as it wil speed up some parts of my work.

Danner & Ernest Chan : Thanks for that script to run connect and then deselect. I'll definitely tuck that away too.

This is why I love this forum. I ask a question, and get three solid solutions.

Cheers,

Derek
    Ok..but I think you are a bit wrong...or mixed it up?
    Why do you use the slice tool? I mentioned previously that it will not drop the tool but have a continuous cut unless you drop it, it is the line pen tool that you can draw between points without dropping the tool and without selecting points, and it will not select the points after you make the cut either...so use the line pen tool and not the slice tool.. itīs located just below the pen tool.

Cheers Prometheus,

I'm often creating organic features, using the pen tool to draw a n-gon which follows (typically) a curved or flowing shape, with even points on both parallel (ish) sides, which I then link up so it ends up as a curved series of quads. This is where I've been using 'connect'.

Slice lets me do the same thing but without selecting points - I can click on a couple of points, and it splits the poly. No point selection is needed before, or left afterwards. The slice tool stays active, and I can whiz along my n-gon turning it into a series of quads.
    For what I'm doing, Line Pen seems to do the same.

Line Pen obviously does other stuff too, but I haven't had much of a play with that yet - it seems to me that it's prime purpose is to create chains of 2pt polys..?

Derek

Line pen demo and a few other tricks for converting ngons to quads:

https://youtu.be/83OoQujm8RA?t=170
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Okay, quick follow up..
    Inspired by Ernest's lscript, I'd like to do something similar with 'Create Rows'.

A mild irritation I can now see a potential to fix, woudl be to run 'Create Rows', then 'Merge Points', then deselect the points.

I've tried:

cmdseq("mergepoints");

and

cmdseq("Merge Points");

but LW doesn't recognise either of them. Where would I find the command to merge points?
    Also, as it throws up a panel, requiring 'enter' to be pressed, is there a way to build that in? preferably before the final deselection, so only the new points are merged.

Cheers,

Derek
    There is a dedicated lscript command for merging points, unsurprising called... mergepoints(distance);

If you omit distance, it merges points that are on top of each other.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    There is a dedicated lscript command for merging points, unsurprising called... mergepoints(distance);

If you omit distance, it merges points that are on top of each other.
    Cheers Kryslin.

How is that different to the line I tried:
    cmdseq("mergepoints");

What change should I make to get it to work? My knowledge of lscript is, sadly, practically non-existant...

Thanks for that video link Raymondtrace, If anything it reinforces in my mind that the Line Pen tool isn't the best one for what I'm doing, though that Fix 3-5 snippet was another tool I've overlooked for too long.

Cheers,

Derek

cdmseq(); passes a command to modeler, whereas mergepoints(); is a function call within modeler's lscript engine.

The merge points button on the menu, which is what cmdseq("mergepoints") (or somesuch) would call, brings up the UI for the modeler command, whereas mergepoints() has no UI, and just does it, passing the distance parameter (if included), then merging all the points.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Cheers Prometheus,

I'm often creating organic features, using the pen tool to draw a n-gon which follows (typically) a curved or flowing shape, with even points on both parallel (ish) sides, which I then link up so it ends up as a curved series of quads. This is where I've been using 'connect'.

Slice lets me do the same thing but without selecting points - I can click on a couple of points, and it splits the poly. No point selection is needed before, or left afterwards. The slice tool stays active, and I can whiz along my n-gon turning it into a series of quads.
    For what I'm doing, Line Pen seems to do the same.

Line Pen obviously does other stuff too, but I haven't had much of a play with that yet - it seems to me that it's prime purpose is to create chains of 2pt polys..?

Derek
    The difference is that the slice tool after you slice between two points, it is still active and you can not continue to pick another set of points and slice them..not without the slice tool making another cut between the previous cut you have made and to the next point you are about to pick to slice to another point, you will have a cross section cut that you do not want, the Line pen tool however will let you split between two points and continue to pick another set of points and split..without creating the same unwanted cross section...do you not see the difference and what I mean? with the slice tool you have to drop the tool and pick it up again and start slicing..with the line pen you do not have to do that.

Line pen can be used for retoping over a backdrop mesh, or close holes like after having extruded walls, then going from the walls outside edgepoints, you can cap that hole to be a ceiling, or floor depending on.
    You can also use the Line pen to create wall sections, since it by using middle mouse will let you draw the lines straigth in desired axis, once snapped and closed right ..you will have a flat poly, so you can bevel inset the wall thickness in flat mode, then extrude it to proper height.
    Hereīs where I would actually want the line tool to have a check option to continue draw without having to click and snap to the last point, but for splitting a flat poly...a no continue draw mode is prefered.

But to sum it up, using the line pen tool for splitting as you want is better and faster than the slice tool.

Then again ..shift-t for triple and then merge trigons is probably faster...but can also sometimes yield cutīs in directions you do not want.

And the line pen if executed right on flat polys, will have the same polycount as if you would have used slice or connect if you look at the statistics for edges, points, and polys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast