Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Connect - deselect points after use..?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    The difference is that the slice tool after you slice between two points, it is still active and you can not continue to pick another set of points and slice them..not without the slice tool making another cut between the previous cut you have made and to the next point you are about to pick to slice to another point, you will have a cross section cut that you do not want, the Line pen tool however will let you split between two points and continue to pick another set of points and split..without creating the same unwanted cross section...do you not see the difference and what I mean? with the slice tool you have to drop the tool and pick it up again and start slicing..with the line pen you do not have to do that.
    Ah, yes. The Penny has just dropped. Thank you for your very patient explanation!

I'm not expecting you to write a lengthy dissertation on how the Line Pen works for retopoing over a background mesh, but that's something else I need to look into... It's something I will be able to make use of, but retopo isn't something I was aware the tool could be used for. But then I hadn't paid it any attention until yesterday.

But to sum it up, using the line pen tool for splitting as you want is better and faster than the slice tool.
    Agreed. Now I understand you, and have tested it more thoroughly.

Then again ..shift-t for triple and then merge trigons is probably faster...but can also sometimes yield cutīs in directions you do not want.
    Yeah, I like this method. If I create my n-gons with 'quad friendly' numbers of points and layout, then so far there's been no tidy-up required. certainly the fastest method so far.

Cheers,

Derek

Some free plugins to help convert ngons to quads...

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...try/quad-skin/

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...cm_polydivide/

http://thespread.faulknermano.com/index2.html (QuadSkinPatcher)

There may be more free and definitely a few paid options as well.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 09-04-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Thanks Kryslin,

Got it working now.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuzo View Post
    Ah, yes. The Penny has just dropped. Thank you for your very patient explanation!

I'm not expecting you to write a lengthy dissertation on how the Line Pen works for retopoing over a background mesh, but that's something else I need to look into... It's something I will be able to make use of, but retopo isn't something I was aware the tool could be used for. But then I hadn't paid it any attention until yesterday.

Agreed. Now I understand you, and have tested it more thoroughly.

Yeah, I like this method. If I create my n-gons with 'quad friendly' numbers of points and layout, then so far there's been no tidy-up required. certainly the fastest method so far.

Cheers,

Derek

Though the line pen can be used for retopo, I think itīs a bit problematic if you try to follow the poly normals and try to project it on the mesh, difficult to have the created lines or mesh avoid being inside of the backroung mesh, thus hard to see where the lines and polys are when using a mesh in the backgroun layer, and you may end up snapping completely wrong.

What you can do though is to try to shape it with the line pen tool in front or side views, but first ...pull your main model back from the origin..that way you ensure you do not snap to wrong parts, but then you wonīt have it conform to the backgroun main mesh, what you could do then is to simply select the newly created polys and use heatshrink to conform to the model.

I think blender has some more advanced tools for avoiding the new created mesh to go inside the main mesh, but I have yet to follow those tutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12