Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ann: Ubercam 3 now available

Quote Originally Posted by Imageshoppe View Post
    VR hardware newbie question... from a fresh start, what is your recommendation? Oculus Quest? But don't you need a tethered Oculus to use the virtual tracking and viewing real time inside LW as demoed by Kat with Ubercam a few years ago? Is there a best of both worlds device with tether free support and can be hooked up to a PC?

Thanks,
    I can only recommend the quest for anyone who prioritizes mobility and ease of use out of everything else, you essentially sacrifice graphics performance since it runs on a mobile graphics processor.

Oculus rift S is a safe bet, it does what it sets out to and even though I still think VR headsets are too expensive, that's the best value you'll get for VR capability.

I personally use an Index headset/controllers, but its hard to recommend it as a consumer product as some people find it hard to justify paying an extra $500 for the advantages it provides (~30% clearer image, more comfortable headset, controller tech); don't forget you need the very best GPU in order to actually benefit from better image clarity.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by Imageshoppe View Post
    Thanks Chilton, that dome show has been leased out everywhere there's a suitable dome, and an episode of Nova was created from/around it at the time.

Okay, just upgraded Ubercam, will install later this week!

VR hardware newbie question... from a fresh start, what is your recommendation?
    Ryan did a great job summing it up, so I defer to his wisdom on this one.

Oculus Quest? But don't you need a tethered Oculus to use the virtual tracking and viewing real time inside LW as demoed by Kat with Ubercam a few years ago? Is there a best of both worlds device with tether free support and can be hooked up to a PC?
    Oh I have a new solution to this problem, which will be released as a separate solution soon.

-Chilton

Have any more cameras been added yet?
    The website says only the VR cam initially.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ConjureBunny View Post
    Ryan did a great job summing it up, so I defer to his wisdom on this one.

Oh I have a new solution to this problem, which will be released as a separate solution soon.

-Chilton
    I'm about to start Ubercam exploration at the start of the year, with a new dome show project driving the work. I hope to use VR goggles to preview the dome animations, and had the chance last week to try the Oculus Quest. As a first time VR user with nothing to compare against, the experience was a bit better than I anticipated, and I was wondering if with the new features the Quest is implementing if now this headset might be a good "starter unit"?

The wireless nature makes it useful for taking to clients, but apparently you can now also PC tether so perhaps the best of both worlds?

...will the Quest be supported in Ubercam for doing quick render tests? Or should I focus on a different headset. Things move so quickly that even these few months may have made a difference in choices.

Regards,

Jim Arthurs

I know in Ubercam 2, the ‘live’ VR works on the rift (on pc only), so you can look around in layout.
    Not sure about Ubercam 3 though.

I used to render out a 360 image in LW, then drop into KolorEyes (now GoPro VR player), with immediate viewing in Rift.
    Unfortunately my current OS no longer supports the Rift DK2 on Mac.

Havn’t got round to getting a Vive yet (which works on mac)

Frequenter
    Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    I know in Ubercam 2, the ‘live’ VR works on the rift (on pc only), so you can look around in layout.
    Really? Has that ever gone "live"? I know it was demoed by Kat some years ago. But I was thinking it never made it into a released version. Kat, can you chime in?
    If so, I would love to even get back to LW2015 just to see how that helps developing staging for dome...

I'm behind on UberCam lately, and versions. Did the dome camera ever come out for LW 2019? I'm still using it for 2015 at times. Guess I need to upgrade.

I’m sure you could move the camera around with the hmd, and see around.
    This never worked properly on the mac, so can’t confirm.

Frequenter
    Quote Originally Posted by mummyman View Post
    I'm behind on UberCam lately, and versions. Did the dome camera ever come out for LW 2019? I'm still using it for 2015 at times. Guess I need to upgrade.
    Nope. Not yet part of Ubercam3. And the one in 2.6 is not working properly... I used LW20119´s Advanced Camera instead. I am still hoping for the spherical omnidirectional stereoscopic camera in Ubercam3, though.

Frequenter
    Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    I’m sure you could move the camera around with the hmd, and see around.
    This never worked properly on the mac, so can’t confirm.
    That´s interesting. I am on PC Workstation with a Rift in the office, maybe I will have to install 2015 and give it another try when I am back after the holidays.
    @all: Has anyone had that feature working in Ubercam2.x on a PC?

Frequenter

UberRift 2.6.0 - weird license issue

I had a chance to stop by the office and install 2015.3 on my Workstation there which is equipped with a OculusRift.
    After some playing with all things menu and such, I believe I (theoretically, that is) found how to activate Ubercam with the Oculus Rift.
    The thing is, UberCam/UberRift thinks I do not have a proper license and thus will not let me test the UberRift feature :-\
    All regular (Rendering-)UberCams seem fine with my license...

Hints anyone? Kelly? Chilton? Anyone else?

Maybe I just not followed the proper procedure - screen capture attached that illustrates my steps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UberRift_2_6_0__LK2015_3_LicenseIssue.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	146480

Win10 Enterprise, Build 1809, Lightwave2015.3, Ubercam 2.6.0, Oculus Rift (CV1) Oculus App Version 12.0.0.241.268 (12.0.0.241.268)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12