Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Secure Reliable Transport (SRT)

Sorry, SRT out from Tricaster is not easy over internet how to configure it. Was better if Newtek made the settings for SRT stream much more easy, and to enumerate the 3 modes. For me not worked with any settings, i needed to take another PC solution for stream.

I agree it can be a little confusing, but the SRT standards pretty much dictate what we had to provide in terms of simplifying control options. I'd recommend working with Support to figure out the nature of the problem. (Obviously, it was tested before release, but there's always the chance that something 'broke'.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I just tired it with VLC Player and had no issue getting SRT output from the TriCaster.

Can I ask what is confusing about the SRT output options. There are two options.

1. 'Host Local SRT Stream', the only thing to pick is the port number. This one only runs in SRT listener mode, but if gives you the URL to enter on a caller system right in the window.

2. 'Output to a Remote Server', here you have to punch in the options that the remote system is using (same information needed to create a SRT URL). This one can run in SRT caller or listener mode, but the checkbox will determine in which mode you are trying to access the remote system. I would think that you typically would be using this in caller mode to with the remote system in listener mode (the checkbox is checked).

I'll admit that SRT can be confusing just in it's general nature, but I think the options above lead you pretty well as to what you are trying to do. Of course, getting it to work over the Internet can involve port forwarding on the router, but that is a separate issue from the TriCaster.
    Last edited by kanep; 09-20-2020 at 12:09 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Just to look at Kane's #2 scenario from a different angle, if the remote receiver is (or must be) in one mode, you need to set the other mode on the TriCaster.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Yes I've been attempting to use the host mode wirh a server running in the system.

And, as a point of interest, I've successfully been able to use SRT inbound as a source.

Will connect up with support this week and reflect back here any results.

Fritz

Support says it won't work on the 8000. I'm assuming that it's in there for newer models and they failed to remove references to it in both the code and the Read Me.

Unfortunate. I guess I'll have to use an external NDI-SRT convertor (from Garaninapps.com).

Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    Support says it won't work on the 8000. I'm assuming that it's in there for newer models and they failed to remove references to it in both the code and the Read Me.

Unfortunate. I guess I'll have to use an external NDI-SRT convertor (from Garaninapps.com).

Fritz
    If the SRT option is showing up in a system that doesn't support it, please bug it Fritz - unless Support already did.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

After working with Kane, it appears that the 8000 (and possibly other legacy systems) Windows firewall is defaulted to block the SRT stream. If you turn firewall off, runs fine. I'd guess the installer didn't make allowances for this.

Anyone know what the settings in Windows firewall (for Windows 7) that should be set to accommodate the SRT streaming engine? I don't just want to let it run "open" without any security.

Thanks!

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

OK, I opened the port suggested by the SRT stream dialog (10000) in the Windows firewall and all is good. I opened for both TCP and UDP traffic. I just did a search for Windows 7 firewall and a page had details walking me through the wizard to add it in.

Looking at the stream now, across the internet, and it looks great. VLC plays it out beautifully.

Fritz

Assuming this is common to 8000's running AE3, and that Kane is reading this thread - this should go into a kba.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Yes sir!

Oh, and a little detail, I just set it up for Inbound connections even though the transmission is going out. The external client is establishing the conneiton in this case so the rule is for Inbound.

:-)

F
    Last edited by fgolman; 09-22-2020 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apples1337 View Post
    And that's awesome, but while I'm now able to get my SRT ingest working just great, I want to try and get RTMP ingest working and I just can't seem to get it right. So i'm hoping someone can provide a little guidance.. or a guide, to guide me.
    Alright, y'all, I'm having trouble with this.

I can't quite seem to follow guide for setting up SRT ingest into the Tricaster. I'm trying to stream out from OBS - first on our local network, then over the Internet.

I have a DHCP reservation for my Tricaster at 10.1.20.196; I have port forwarding in the router set to forward port 2727 to .196

I have tried the following in OBS:
    srt://10.1.20.196:2727?mode=caller
    srt://10.1.20.1:2727?mode=caller (thinking the router would route it)
    srt://my.public.ip.address:2727?mode=caller (tried this both on the local network and on a hotspot)

In the Tricaster IP input tool, I have created a new Webstream or File, and put in:
    srt://0.0.0.0:2727?mode=listener - thinking this would allow the Tricaster to listen on its own IP address
    srt://10.1.20.196:2727?mode=listener - trying to force it with its current IP address

No matter what I do, OBS comes back with "Invalid Path or Collection URL."
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Question for you:

If both OBS and TriCaster are on the same local network, why not use NDI to go from one to the other?

Would seem to be a lot simpler.

Fritz Golman

I think he is testing to get there.

Perhaps the first step is just to verify that the TriCaster is working with itself, then expanding out from there. Setup the SRT output in TriCaster and use that same URL as an SRT input into TriCaster and see if that get that working.

Once there, then expand out to the next system. Routing won't have any effect on the local network. However, if the firewall is active (like in Frtiz's case) that can stop the packets from making it into the TriCaster. Try turning off the Windows firewall and see if that makes any difference.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    Question for you:

If both OBS and TriCaster are on the same local network, why not use NDI to go from one to the other?

Would seem to be a lot simpler.

Fritz Golman
    Because the eventual goal, once I get SRT working, is to put this OBS system in a pelican with a Peplink Transit Duo for our OB system.

I feel fairly confident that if I can get it working on the local network, I can get it working on the internet or over the VPN. But so far I'm not even able to raise an SRT call.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast