Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave + Storm Granular Solver

Lightwave + Storm Granular Solver

Hellooo,

to promote Storm I made this Particle Ballet simulation:

So it is simmed with Storm and then imported into Lightwave using the nextlimit plugins.
    Here's a link to the Storm Forum: https://effectivetds.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=113
    and the buy page: https://effectivetds.com/resources/fx-tools/storm/

Storm is in an Early Access stage and customers will get free updates until version 1.0.

Feel free to share

Happy simming!

Wout

Are these Nextlimit plugins required to interface Storm with Lightwave? Are these Netlimit plugins readily available?

Can we make portions of the model (or certain grains?) glued to another animated deforming object?
    Last edited by Carm3D; 09-02-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

"All war is deception." - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Carm3D View Post
    Are these Nextlimit plugins required to interface Storm with Lightwave? Are these Netlimit plugins readily available?

Can we make portions of the model (or certain grains?) glued to another animated deforming object?
    Hey Carm

Storm currently exports in .bin, .abc and .prt. Lightwave's alembic file loader doesn't allow for meshes with a variable vertex count unfortunately. The .bin particle import through the Nextlimit plugin is pretty smooth for importing the bin files. These plugins are readily available. You can get them from the Nextlimit site by signing up for a trial.

If you're interested, you can play with the Storm demo: https://effectivetds.com/resources/fx-tools/storm/ ( scroll down, middle of the page )

I'll get back to you on your last question. ( Colliders in Storm have a "stick" parameter , if you crank that value up it should allow you to 'glue' particles to a (deforming/animated) mesh (imported through.sd / .abc/..)=> I've asked the developer so I can be sure to give you the correct answer )

Sounds promising thanks! I hope the ones that are sticky are not all or nothing.. Like if we wanted to put a soft body belly in between a ribcage and pelvis.. We wouldn't want other parts of the belly to accidentally get stuck on these bones.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

Quite nice.  

Just remember that motion blur won't work. (as far as i know)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

That's what RSMB is for
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

Quote Originally Posted by Wout View Post
    Storm currently exports in .bin, .abc and .prt.
    Hey Wout, have you tried exporting a sim directly as .abc (Assuming that is Alembic) where all of the particles appear on the first frame and no others are generated?

Also, I sent you a private message.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

Sounds promising thanks! I hope the ones that are sticky are not all or nothing.. Like if we wanted to put a soft body belly in between a ribcage and pelvis.. We wouldn't want other parts of the belly to accidentally get stuck on these bones.
    Hey Carm, so I did a little test for you : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14_Stick_to_deformed_mesh.[0001-0157].gif 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	145868

What you see here is a simple plane deformed in Layout with bones, exported as .abc into Storm. Then using the Sticky feature on the collider, the particles now stick to and follow the motion of the deformed geometry. Is this what you were looking for ?

Hey Wout, have you tried exporting a sim directly as .abc (Assuming that is Alembic) where all of the particles appear on the first frame and no others are generated?

Also, I sent you a private message.
    I haven't tried that, that's a good idea. Yes .abc is alembic .

I was just testing the mesher in Storm ( still alpha/beta) and I can get a mesh into Lightwave buuuuuut Lightwave deforms just that one frame with an mdd reader in the deform panel. So that looks, well, horrible haha.
    Last edited by Wout; 09-03-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Quite nice.  

Just remember that motion blur won't work. (as far as i know)
    There's a couple of tricks I discovered that allow for motion blur. One is to use the Deform / "morph target"=> point it to a mesh/particle sequence from the next frame and then animate the morph: 0% at frame 0, 100% at frame 0.95 , back to 0 at at frame 1, and then loop that in the Graph Editor

The .bin particle import through the Nextlimit plugin is pretty smooth for importing the bin files. These plugins are readily available. You can get them from the Nextlimit site by signing up for a trial.
    Last I tried this I was unable to get the rfrk for lightwave. Seems the RF demo only has the main software, no connectivity plugins.

Quote Originally Posted by squarewulf View Post
    Last I tried this I was unable to get the rfrk for lightwave. Seems the RF demo only has the main software, no connectivity plugins.
    I emailed Nextlimit, told them I downloaded the Realflow 10 demo (which I did), and wanted to see if it would work with Lightwave. Then I asked them where can I get the plugin that allows me to bring Realflow data into Lightwave. They replied asking me to tell them which version of Lightwave I am using. So I am assuming I will get the plugin soon.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

Hey Carm, so I did a little test for you
    Oooooh baby! That is getting close! Certainly closer than I was yesterday. I saw in a tutorial video of Storm he used an effector to paint what looked like a weight map on his grains. I am hoping this will let you specify which grains should be sticky and which will not be sticky. So I would want to know if certain defined grains will stick while the rest only stick to eachother and dangle free. But I can play with that when I download the demo. I am encouraged by what I see here.. Thank you!
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

Quote Originally Posted by squarewulf View Post
    Oooh, it seems they completely removed the Lightwave support and plugins ?. Hmmm..

EDIT: oh cool CARM3D asked, I'm curious to see what answer they give you

Oooooh baby! That is getting close! Certainly closer than I was yesterday. I saw in a tutorial video of Storm he used an effector to paint what looked like a weight map on his grains. I am hoping this will let you specify which grains should be sticky and which will not be sticky. So I would want to know if certain defined grains will stick while the rest only stick to eachother and dangle free. But I can play with that when I download the demo. I am encouraged by what I see here.. Thank you!
    I think that maybe you're referring to 'sleeping particles" in that video? Red colored particles are asleep and the effector was a mesh to wake them up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast