Thread: Help me with few answers...

Help me with few answers...

Hi to everyone!
    I have some questions about TC1:
    1. The encoders built in TRICASTER are hardware built in (like an external encoder) or software encoders (like OBS Studio)?
    2. The color correction is on Tricasters side (it modify the NDI signal at the end of the signal) or it "communicates" with a Bird-dog or Connect Spark and it tells how to encode that video?
    3. I can use a specific graphic only on 1 item from the DDR? Example when I have 5 videos in DDR and i want to play all, only i want to have a specific LOGO on the 3,4 videos from playlist?
    4. Can I send somehow separate fill and key for grapics on SDI or NDI?
    5. Can I have one out on SDI and other on NDI program out?
    6. Can I have the output from a m/e (different from program) to SDI (or NDI) to send it to a graphics generator computer, and from there to send back to Tricaster and send to program?
    7. TC1 has only 8 bit Color Precision?
    8. The SDI outputs are 3G-SDI on 8 or 10 bits?
    9. NDI can communicate with AIMS, ASPEN, SONY NMI devices?
    Last edited by kencee; 08-31-2019 at 05:20 AM.

1. Perhaps a 'hybrid' is best way to describe it. It is software, but the encoding takes place on the nVidia hardware GPU.

2. TriCaster's built in color correction is on the local end. Some NDI encoders like the Connect NC1 allow for color correction on the source end before it is turned into NDI. However, I'd always recommend using the camera's built in color tools first.

3. Yes, you could do this with macros. You could assign a macro at the start of clip 3 to turn on the logo and at the end of clip 4 to turn it off.

4. Yes, there is the ability in a M/E to turn the alpha into a B/W output for SDI output.

5. Each output on the TC1 is SDI and NDI simultaneously. In HD or lower resolutions, you will have four outputs, you can have four separate signals coming out of the unit, use the SDI and/or NDI as needed for each one.

6. Yes

7. It's a bit more complicated then that. Internally, video processing is done at floating point YCbCr 4:4:4:4 (more than 8-bit). NDI itself works at 16-bit color, which gives very accurate conversion between YUV and RGB color spaces. SDI input and output wise, the video is at 8 bits, but they will accept 10-bit SDI video input, dynamically rounded to 8-bits.

8. The SDI outputs are 8-bit color, fully compatible with 10-bit gear.

9. I'll break it down.

AIMS: This isn't a standard, but a marketing group. I'm assuming you mean SMPTE 2110, to which the answer is YES. There is the 'Connect NC1 IO IP' which will convert NDI<>2110 up to four channels per unit. You can find information about this product on the NewTek website.

ASPEN: This is Evertz's IP protocol, as I understand Evertz has joined the AIMS group and has been working on transitioning to SMPTE 2110. Unless you already have ASPEN installed at your facility, it is unlikely you would be installing this now.

NMI: This is Sony's IP protocol. Sony is a founding member the AIMS group and has been transitioning to SMPTE 2110. Unless you already have NMI installed at your facility, it is unlikely you would be installing this now.

Basically, today, you have SMPTE 2110 and NDI. You can connect these together.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for your answers!
    About the 8 bit BNC connectors I was wondering why Newtek did not used 10 bit connectors?
    Do u think in future we could select different output on SDI and NDI?
    If I buy tomorrow a TC1 what is the latest hardware revision and the latest software?
    The units from USA are same in Europe or they have differences?
    Thanks.

The vast majority of video is produced using 8 bits. Be aware that not all cameras output 10 bit color either.

Some systems might limit you to choosing SDI or NDI for each output they offer. TriCaster give you four outputs, each in SDI and NDI. You can have something different on SDI and NDI, you can have four things different!

The latest software for TC1 is Rev 7-0-190802 (released beginning of August).

TriCaster units in Europe are the same as the US, other than the power cable.
    Last edited by kanep; 09-01-2019 at 07:54 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for your answers!
    About the 8 bit BNC connectors I was wondering why Newtek did not used 10 bit connectors?
    Do u think in future we could select different output on SDI and NDI?
    If I buy tomorrow a TC1 what is the latest hardware revision and the latest software?
    The units from USA are same in Europe or they have differences?
    Skype TX is integrated in TC1? Or i have to buy extra software for bring 2 channel of Skype?
    Thanks.

Two channels of Skype TX is integrated into TC1. You will need to download the free Skype TX Control software onto another computer to operate them (make calls, answer calls, etc).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank U!

I am back for a question, somebody told that newer models of TC1 has USB-C on motherboard. I need to check what version of hardware is too? Which is the latest TC1 hardware revision if there is?

The current systems do have USB-C on the motherboard. They aren't marked as what version motherboard, but the USB-C systems have been shipping for many months now.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.