Thread: X-15 nice detailed free model...

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar

X-15 nice detailed free model...

This X-15 model looks rather fine, but is in sketchup format.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...1a3e555/X-15-1

Anyone able to convert it into something Lightwave can digest?

Nick
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

Quote Originally Posted by starbase1 View Post

Nick
    i dont see that model containing any textures.
    in such case you can just save it out yourself..

the polys will be tripled no matter what..
    so if you want quads you habe clean it up.

you can do the save with the online version...if you do not have it installed.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    i dont see that model containing any textures.
    in such case you can just save it out yourself..

the polys will be tripled no matter what..
    so if you want quads you habe clean it up.

you can do the save with the online version...if you do not have it installed.
    There's a free online version?!

Nick
    It's also downloadable as a Collada file on the same page which you can load straight into Modeller. Unfortunately, that model seems to be incomplete though.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Give this a shot.

X-15(Converted).zip

I ran the sketchup file through Polytrans. It creates a number of separate parts so load the Scene file to put them together. You'll still need to do a lot of clean up on the geom it looks like.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

There's a free online version?!
    Yes..
    Sketchup Mk main download nowadays ..Is Online, they do have a download version still though..donīt have a link to it now though.

I think I prefered the free download version though, rather than the free online version...it feels they have hidden so many tools under other tools right now..will check the latest download version when I can.
    Those are the free ones, not the pro version that is commercial and has more export options.

I recall some of the older sketchup version, I have it somewhere on my older computers...I had a free ruby lwo export which I felt was the best choice then, but since sketchup updated that ruby script will not work in later sketchup versions, and you have to update if you want to access the model library.

Download online version here..
    https://www.sketchup.com/plans-and-p.../sketchup-free

I tried a jas 39 gripen model and collada versions, itīs the same there..missing a lot of parts...when importing to Lightwave.
    Then I tried the same collada file in Blender collada import, and it worked fine and then I exported to obj and opened in lightwave, worked fine as well.

The x-15 model though, I couldnīt open that in blender, it just freezed or hanged the blender system..may try again later.

But otherwise..it may be better to load later sketchup collada models in to blender and then save to obj for lightwave import, there should be sketchup importers for blender..but I havenīt tried that yet.

What a pig to get out of 3dwarehouse! All the export formats come out fubar, not just in LW but in eveything.

I had to download the old sketchup 2017 stand alone version export the model to this format, open it in sketchup 2017 then save it out to FBX import into meshlab and then save it out as obj. Then load this into LW and set up all the surfaces.

I think 3dwarehouse is exporting rubbish corrupt formats.

Here it is...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x-15-1.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	275.5 KB 
ID:	145846
    Attached Files Attached Files

[QUOTE=XswampyX;1577327]What a pig to get out of 3dwarehouse! All the export formats come out fubar, not just in LW but in eveything.

I had to download the old sketchup 2017 stand alone version export the model to this format, open it in sketchup 2017
    then save it out to FBX import into meshlab and then save it out as obj. Then load this into LW and set up all the surfaces.

I said this BEFORE it is NOT, for once, Lightwave's fault. SKetchUp is a DOG of a Modeler VERY sloppy

with its parts & A NIGHTMARE with texture husbandry . BE WARNED its takes years of time to repair

This is Castello St. Angelo, Roma an sketch-Up import on Collada.

A Roman landmark I did for a film (to be seen through Alphaed out windows)

It was a toe curler to it get right.Attachment 145848

[QUOTE=ianr;1577328]
    Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    What a pig to get out of 3dwarehouse! All the export formats come out fubar, not just in LW but in eveything.

I had to download the old sketchup 2017 stand alone version export the model to this format, open it in sketchup 2017
    then save it out to FBX import into meshlab and then save it out as obj. Then load this into LW and set up all the surfaces.

I said this BEFORE it is NOT, for once, Lightwave's fault. SKetchUp is a DOG of a Modeler VERY sloppy

with its parts & A NIGHTMARE with texture husbandry . BE WARNED its takes years of time to repair

This is Castello St. Angelo, Roma an sketch-Up import on Collada.

A Roman landmark I did for a film (to be seen through Alphaed out windows)

It was a toe curler to it get right.Attachment 145848

I wonder why collada seem to have been some sort of universal standard for interchange, both blender and lightwave have issues of opening some models, at least from
    sketchup, and daz isnīt doing a good job either of exporting out something decent.

And huh XswampyX..that was a long stretched workflow to get it in to lightwave.

I downloaded this sketchup importer for blender..(0.18 version) supports 2017 skp files
    https://github.com/martijnberger/pyslapi/releases

Installed it first on blender 2.79.3 didnīt recognize it in the drop down import menus.
    Installed it on blender 2.79b and that worked, though I am a bit confused which one of the versions is the later one of blender, the 2.79.3 is release date earlier than 2.79b..but at the same time with a higher release number and also a mark o being a branch of 2.8

So use this sketchup importer with Blender 2.79b and it should be ok to go..perhaps for many other sketchup models if needed, seems at least a bit easier than using sketchup first, then fbx export/import, then meshlab then lightwave.

Of course, if the lightwave team puts their mind to it for yet additional interchange improvements, which obviously seem to be needed from us users..they should do a sketchup importer.

To bad the old sketchup lwo export ruby script doesnīt work.

Splash screen of working blender version with the sketchup 0.18 import addon..

Name:	Blender 27.9b  working.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	615.6 KB 
ID:	145849

Splash screen of the blender version that doesnīt work..

Name:	Blender 2.79.3  not working.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	145850

@Prometheus Wow, excellent importer! I tried various 2017 skp files from the Warehouse, and so far no issues.

Great find! Just download Blender 2.79b portable (zip), install the importer, and start browsing the Warehouse. I wasn't aware of that importer (Or I forgot...).

Thanks!

[edit] some models with textures have issues after import, but nothing that cannot be fixed.

I tested the 2.79b download, and that works fine with the 2017 sketchup importer. Get it here:
    https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.79/
    Last edited by Rayek; 09-02-2019 at 01:21 AM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Don't visit the forums for a few days and it all goes nuts!

Thanks to all for the thoughts, and conversions.

I would recommend everyone to not use the online version, download the 2017 version instead, it has 3ds,fbx,obj,dae (collada)kmz,wrl,xsi,dwg,dxf,ifc export..while the online version exports only to stl,dxf and dwg, that means Iīm never going to log in to use that anymore..Ever, with the exception if I would need it to download a model.

Canīt believe Trimble are crippling sketchup with limiting the export options compared to the desktop version, itīs unusable for exports in any decent manner, and both the UI interface and customizing it (where is the preference and option to set toolbars as you want) they also do a good job of hiding tools like having the offset tool under the push tool, and like you are supposed to know that

Heres the downloads for sketchup desktop 2017...
    https://www.sketchup.com/download/all

Now, with the sketchup importer for blender, it imports a model you create with the textures already assigned and good to go from scratch, but you can not export it out as obj as it is from blender to lightwave and expect the textures being there from scratch, you have to unpack the textures in blender to the temp directory or other location and once in lightwave, the UV map will be there and surface material name ..but you have to locate and assign the texture from the upacked files from blender.
    Also to note, I got those parts assigned with a texture showing up in lightwave with 100 transparency, so you need to turn that off.

See images of the online version and the desktop version, and how it looks like with textures when going the route from sketchup 2017 save, and import to blender with the sketchup importer, then unpack textures and export to obj, then import to lightwave and re-locate/assign the texture.

Next is to check and verify proper scaling.

Name:	Sketchup 2018 online.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	145895

Name:	sketchup 2017 desktop.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	145896

Name:	sketchup_blender.jpg