Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video File Corruption

Video File Corruption

I work for a School District and we have recently installed a new NDIHX-PTZ1 camera in our Superintendent's Conference room; for the second time in a row we have had issues with entire meetings being lost/damaged due to a power cut, the first time the power was cut by a user who unplugged the camera at the tail-end of a meeting to ensure privacy for other meetings that were to take place later in the afternoon and the second time was yesterday when a thunderstorm rolled through and the power glitched for just a second and we lost the second workshop meeting in a row. When I access the file that's recorded on the Tricaster the properties only show a file size but there's no other file details such as "Video Length, Frame Width/Height, Data rate, total bit rate, frame rate, etc..." These issues have caused our Board Members and Superintendent to lose confidence in the NDI camera as well as the abilities of the Tricaster itself. We have tried numerous file repairing programs and none of them can fix the problem or restore the file(s); I still need to see about repairing yesterday's workshop file and seeking any advice to remedy this issue of files being lost due to power cut/failure...this is not good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Files example 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	145828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Files example 2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	145829  

Video File Corruption

This is the second time in 2 weeks this has happened, the files I was recording from my NDI camera into my Tricaster 410 are "broken" after a power interruption and now I cannot view them. We have tried numerous repair programs with no luck and this is becoming a problem we can't keep running into as a School Board. Any advice on how to fix these?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Files example 1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	145831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Files example 2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	145832

Looks like you are talking about the H.264 recording? The recording of QuickTime is better format for this. In many cases, if something happens that messes up the recording, you can open it in the DDR's of the TriCaster which will repair the files.

A UPS might be worth while investment as well.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Only 1 case would warrant the UPS, (which we have but it just-so-happened to be in need of batteries); someone pulling the power cord on an NDI camera 4 rooms over renders a UPS useless; I did record the video in both formats, H.264 & .MOV, yet neither one was repairable in the recovery/repair programs we tried. Please explain this process of repairing the QuickTime file in the Tricaster's DDR's...?

Just add the corrupted .mov to a DDR and that can sometimes fix it

Still not clear on the NDI issue - were you iso-recording the camera, or recording PROGRAM? Have never seen a disconnected source actually cause the recording to stop.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

This is still an unclear process on how to repair the file...are you saying all I have to do start the Tricaster up, begin a new "Live Production", import the file as it is in the attachment(s) above and it will be fixed? What exactly does "add the corrupted .mov to a DDR" mean other than the process I just explained?

As Kane said, just import the .mov into the DDR...that's it, no extra steps. No guarantees, but can repair the broken/missing header so the file works. This only applies to the TriCaster .mov recording files and not .mp4 files

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera

I was recording PROGRAM, and the power cord being pulled from the NDI source did not cause the recording to stop, it caused the issue with the file as shown above attachments and in this state it will not play. As a matter of fact, my controller was indicating, (judging by the lights), that all was still normal with the stream/encoding process.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm trying this now and it's "transcoding" so I will let you know what happens.

This process works! Thank you for the fix!!
    How do I export that file out of the DDR into a format I can upload to our streaming service or YouTube?

Glad you had some success there! You can right click the DDR file and there is an option like "Export" or "Add to Export". Export settings are accessed at top of screen - select a preset for the format you want to Export to and it will transcode the file. This is for Advanced Edition, process may differ for Standard Edition.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Great to hear it worked. Besides the Export feature that Jeff mentions above in the TriCaster. I transfer the media to another system and like to use 'Handbrake' to compress the file into H.264, Handbrake does a great job compressing media (and its free!).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

[QUOTE=mfrancisco1;1577218]I was recording PROGRAM, and the power cord being pulled from the NDI source did not cause the recording to stop, it caused the issue with the file as shown above attachments and in this state it will not play. As a matter of fact, my controller was indicating, (judging by the lights), that all was still normal with the stream/encoding process.

- - - Updated - - -

That still seems very odd that the stream was still going but the file got corrupted.
    --
    John Alexander

TriCaster Mini (HDMI)
    Spark Connect
    Sony HXR-NX5R
    Sony NX-5U
    Canon XF105

yes, it's happened twice now within a week.
    I'm going to do some more testing to see if this is a real problem or I hit the unlucky lotto twice in a row...this is the appropriate place to ask questions about these "odd" things that occur from what I understand Johnny.
    Last edited by mfrancisco1; 08-30-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Twice because the camera feed stopped? I though one was that and the other was a power outage?

Power outage isn't that surprising and honesty, not really the fault of the TriCaster.

I'd like a step by step if it is because of a dropped camera feed if you are able to reproduce this, recording shouldn't become corrupted because of an issue like that.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Glad you had some success there! You can right click the DDR file and there is an option like "Export" or "Add to Export". Export settings are accessed at top of screen - select a preset for the format you want to Export to and it will transcode the file. This is for Advanced Edition, process may differ for Standard Edition.

Thanks

Jeff
    Hello,

I have had similar problems where the tricaster will randomly freeze up during a long meeting that lasts 5+ hours and I lose the entire recording. I have tried what you are describing and nothing happens. What format do you specifically recommend in the recording tab? We use "high quality" because of H.264 of the smaller file size and comparability of VOD, but I have used all other formats (quicktime, MPEG-2, AVI) and attempted to recover files and I get nothing. It just remains greyed out in the DDR 1 tab. I'm really trying to find a way to not lose an entire recording when the tricaster does occasionally lock up. This might happen once a month out of 40ish streams but when it does it's tough to explain why the recording was lost forever. I'd take any suggestions.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast