Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: export to FBX textures not working

export to FBX textures not working

If i export to FBX my textures are not showing/working in my model.
    Can somebody tell me the right way to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by triangle View Post
    If i export to FBX my textures are not showing/working in my model.
    Can somebody tell me the right way to do this?
    If you have a technical problem it usually helps providing a little more info.

What software export to what software import? What software versions? FBX version? What type of models? What textures, just Diffuse or more? Scene example?

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    If you have a technical problem it usually helps providing a little more info.

What software export to what software import? What software versions? FBX version? What type of models? What textures, just Diffuse or more? Scene example?
    Sorry

lightwave -> Unity (newest one)
    FBX 201800
    model: just a simple box (all sides a different material)
    Texture: JPG (only need picture)
    Unity it becomes just a grey box with no options to connect the texture

Sorry

lightwave -> Unity (newest one)
    FBX 201800
    model: just a simple box (all sides a different material)
    Texture: JPG (only need picture)
    Unity it becomes just a grey box with no options to connect the texture
    Thanks for the additional info.

My quick test to export in 2019.1.2 using a Standard or Principal Material indeed doesn't export the texture via FBX. I will test further this evening.

OK I did some more testing (I usually only import into LW, not the other way round).

It works when the object is UV mapped. With a simple Planar or Cubic Mapping it doesn't seem to export the texture.

Bummer, I would have expected something so simple to work in LW right away as it does in other 3D applications.

However in Unity (I have the older version 2017.3 installed), the objects don't load with materials, even if that option is enabled. Also the Unity switch in the export settings didn't help with that.

Maybe test in another 3D application first, if the textures are imported. Material export using a Standard material with a Diffuse texture image (jpg) worked with these settings when the texture is using UV mapping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW_Export.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	145830

What version of Unity are you using? I have zero Unity skill so maybe there is a trick or newer version to do it right.

You need UVs for every texture to show up in Unity, and Unreal, and that is true for all 3d software. Unless there is sometihng out there that converts planar and cubic maping to UVs That is how game engines usually work, everything with UVs. You can use a world texture node in unreal to avoid using UVs but as far as I know no software out there converts your plannar and cubiic mappins to the world texture node setup.

Make sure you have a uv map or the object will only have one color applied to the whole thing.
    If you've UV mapped it, you can apply the textures in Unity--no need to do it in LightWave.

But if you already have it looking like you want in lightwave, set your material to standard and make sure you have a texture applied to that material.

Export that (with materials).

That should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    You need UVs for every texture to show up in Unity, and Unreal, and that is true for all 3d software. Unless there is sometihng out there that converts planar and cubic maping to UVs That is how game engines usually work, everything with UVs. You can use a world texture node in unreal to avoid using UVs but as far as I know no software out there converts your plannar and cubiic mappins to the world texture node setup.
    That's not true, of course other software automatically converts every type of mapping. Yes they all need UV maps for importing but unlike LightWave other applications automatically create correct UV maps with the export, no matter if the mapping is used, Planar, Cubical, Spherical, UVW etc. It looks the exact same way when imported into other applications. LightWave just ignores the texture when no UV map is created.

FWIW, I did a quicky test & opened in Daz. No textures or lights among other issues.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

for the record I don't know what's possible on the Unity side unfortunately i don't know the program.
    So i have to give the person doing his side of the job (Unity) correct files to work with.
    He knows Unity but his knowledge of the visual side of unity is limited.
    And i'm also a new user of Lightwave (see my join date) what is also not very practical at the moment...
    But i'm very glad you people are helping me out ^^

Modeler and Layout have an option for exporting FBX which one is better?
    Side note: I find 2 program's for one program also very confusing especially when they can do certain things both...

for the record I don't know what's possible on the Unity side unfortunately i don't know the program.
    So i have to give the person doing his side of the job (Unity) correct files to work with.
    And i'm also a new user of Lightwave (see my join date) what is also not very practical at the moment...

Side note: I find 2 program's for one program also very confusing especially when they can do certain things both...
    I would test the exported files in another application first. There is even a free fbx viewer available for Windows. When you create UV maps in LightWave and export it, it should work fine. For just exporting a mesh with texture I think both are fine and using the same export module but maybe easier from Modeler to UV map it before exporting. If you need more scene details then from Layout.

Completely agree agree, the application split can annoying to work with and limiting besides that Modeler is two decades behind other applications.

LightWave was the first app to export an FBX file that Unity could read perfectly. For awhile it was the only app that would do so, because at that time, no one else seemed to think Unity was going to be a popular platform.

Modeler's export should be kinda perfect without any additional help, if you've set up the UV maps and material correctly. Layout's version has more options because of things like animations that Layout can support (which Modeler does not), but the default values usually work great.

-Chilton

Ah. The Modeler version. Will check that out later then.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast