Thread: Lip Sync HELP !

Lip Sync HELP !

Any Lip Sync Experts Out There? While attempting to create lip sync on a character for a music video I ran into the (apparently very common) issue of extreme lag on playback. After trying everything - play at exact rate, reducing subpatch level etc. I decided to copy the head from the character and animate the lip sync on the head by itself. Lightwave handled the morph animation / playback with the head only A LOT better because of the much smaller model / poly count etc.

Is this a method that LW animators use? Separating the head from the body? If so... What is the best way to reattach the head to the body once the lip sync is done?

1. Can the morph shape sequence be saved out and applied the the full model - etc?
    2. Parenting the head model to the body? Etc

Thanks!!

Yes, isolating the lip sync to a separate file is an acceptable workflow. If you're doing morphs you can save out your morph envelopes and apply them to the full body rig. Of course your morphs should be the same.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Instead of a separate file (chopping off a head), couldn't you just have the head in a separate layer and disable/hide the body (and all other irrelevant geometry) in the scene editor?
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    Yes, isolating the lip sync to a separate file is an acceptable workflow. If you're doing morphs you can save out your morph envelopes and apply them to the full body rig. Of course your morphs should be the same.
    Thanks! I'm not in front of my PC now...When you say "save out your morph envelopes' I'm guessing then that there is a save button in morph mixer that allows you to save a file that can be re-imported onto my original character [with head ]
    As long as all the morphs are identical?

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Instead of a separate file (chopping off a head), couldn't you just have the head in a separate layer and disable/hide the body (and all other irrelevant geometry) in the scene editor?
    Hey Thanks for the quick reply!
    I actually tried hiding objects, reducing subpatch level etc in scene editor but it did not help the lagging audio / animation speed issue at all. Does LW still calculate the geometry whether it is hidden or not?
    I did not try placing them on a separate layer

How are you doing lip sync? Just using morph mixer?

I use either Mike Green's plugin (using morphs and papagayo .dat file) or a null system and don't see any lag. What LW version are you on? Also, how long is the audio file, ie a few seconds, 10, 20, 30 or 1 min long?
    It's better to have tried and failed, than to have failed to try.
    Patreon - www.patreon.com/ernesttx

Quote Originally Posted by ernesttx View Post
    How are you doing lip sync? Just using morph mixer?

I use either Mike Green's plugin (using morphs and papagayo .dat file) or a null system and don't see any lag. What LW version are you on? Also, how long is the audio file, ie a few seconds, 10, 20, 30 or 1 min long?
    Thanks!
    It's a very short but high quality audio file.
    Just a few seconds of music with a lead vocal.
    I have a GeForce GTX 1050Ti graphics card (not great but works fine for the most things).
    I have seen a lot of users mention the Mike green plugin with Papagayo.
    Do you have a quick workflow - I've never used it before?

Quote Originally Posted by stevegraymusic View Post
    ...Does LW still calculate the geometry whether it is hidden or not?...
    There may be some calculations in the background but selective visibility has always been the answer to handling large amounts of data.

"The Visibility setting can dramatically affect not only how an object is displayed, but also how fast the display is updated. Moving a 200,000-polygon 100-surface spacecraft around the screen using a textured display surely requires greater computing power than a wireframe six-sided bounding box. There are other reasons as well. Often, in a very complex scene, you may need to play with object visibility options in order to concentrate on certain aspects of the scene."
    ( https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...s/scene-editor )

Quote Originally Posted by stevegraymusic View Post
    ...I did not try placing them on a separate layer
    After doing so, you might explore Mike Green's LayersMC script or OD UberPass to aid in making selection sets to quickly toggle the visibility of non-speaking objects (and/or object layers). Or you can simply use LW's native selection set functions in the Scene Editor.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 08-27-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

The workflow is quite simple - unless you haven't used Papagayo before. You load your audio file into Papagayo, tag in the phonemes and then generate .dat file.

In LW, open Mike's plugin and import your .dat file.

However, your model/character will need the morphs name in a way Mike's plugin uses to read the .dat file and associate the correct morph. The .dat file will be a text file that lists frame number and phoneme, ie AI, MBP, rest, etc. and your morphs need to be named pap.AI, pap.MBP, etc. I'd have to throw a short video together to give you a complete walk through. But, it should operate the same as regular morphs and morph mixer. So, I'm not sure it would give you better performance. Maybe save out a scratch audio file in 8 bit mono rather than a high quality audio file.
    It's better to have tried and failed, than to have failed to try.
    Patreon - www.patreon.com/ernesttx

Quote Originally Posted by ernesttx View Post
    The workflow is quite simple - unless you haven't used Papagayo before. You load your audio file into Papagayo, tag in the phonemes and then generate .dat file.

In LW, open Mike's plugin and import your .dat file.

However, your model/character will need the morphs name in a way Mike's plugin uses to read the .dat file and associate the correct morph. The .dat file will be a text file that lists frame number and phoneme, ie AI, MBP, rest, etc. and your morphs need to be named pap.AI, pap.MBP, etc. I'd have to throw a short video together to give you a complete walk through. But, it should operate the same as regular morphs and morph mixer. So, I'm not sure it would give you better performance. Maybe save out a scratch audio file in 8 bit mono rather than a high quality audio file.
    Cool - I will try that as soon as I get home. It doesn't sound too difficult. Thanks again!

I seem to recall that there is a difference between a point having a morph of zero, and a point having no morph at all.
    Not anywhere near a computer right now, but I'd try making sure that only the head has morph data.
    Perhaps check some points with point info, and try 'clear map' with them selected.