Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Lightwave 5.6 on Irix

  1. #1
    The Real Homestar. Intuition's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    2,636

    Lightwave 5.6 on Irix

    Hello everyone, been a while since I checked in here at the Lightwave forums.

    It is great to see Lightwave didn't die and begin to have regular updates and releases again.

    A while back I joined an Silicon Graphic community (NekoChan) to maintain the old Irix machines from the mid 90s to early 2000s.

    I have an Octane and O2.

    That community died off and a new one sprung out called Irix network. I have been making videos of the older Vfx software that used to run on Irix.

    There was a small window where Lightwave ran on them and I did a little video on it recently. I am not looking for subscribes or likes or anything as I am not trying to promote the channel as it is something I do here and there when I have time....

    ...but.. I thought some here might want to take a peek at an old Lightwave version in action as well as see it on a rare OS as Irix.

    Great to see Giger, Jwiede, Prometheus, Cageman, Fez, Greenlaw, Lightwolf, Maurocor, Lewis, Erikals, JasonWestmas, WyattHarris, Dodgy, and others still lighting up these old halls. Sbowie still here keeping people civilized too?

    Anyways, check out the old 5.6 Lightwave if you want.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMQF...ature=youtu.be

    There are some Softimage 3d, Maya, and Houdini vids there as well if you care to see them.

    Intution.
    Casey C Benn.
    -----------------
    KC

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,535
    Nice to see someone still using SGI's.

    I have a collection of various SGI machines myself and built some from individual parts. One machine is a 16 CPU Origin R14k with Craylink and of course some Indy, Indigo2, Octane, Octane2 and O2 beauties, love them all - my wife not so much but to be honest it's years since I powered anyone of them up. Cheers!

  3. #3
    ack ack Markc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,370
    I remember attending a vfx festival in London in the late 90’s, ILM where on stage with SGI machines demonstrating some shots from Jurassic Park in Softimage.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

  4. #4
    Registered User jbrookes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    212
    I had an Octane a while back too. It went to someone who also decided to fire up the old apps.

    Thanks for posting the videos. I logged many many hours on v. 5.6.

    I don't recall having the 'squished sphere' issue though (at least not with 5.0 on IRIX and definitely not in 5.6 on NT).
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    403
    I remember when it ran on MIPS machines, and that was right around the time of the SGI purple box. Forget what it was called. Anyway, I remember running a couple of "Screamer" boxes on a network. Was connected up to our Amigas. Every time somebody crashed their Amiga, it crashed all the machines on the network, so you could hear it coming your way.

  6. #6
    Almost newbie Cageman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Malmö, SWEDEN
    Posts
    7,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
    Hello everyone, been a while since I checked in here at the Lightwave forums.
    Hey man... Welcome back! What are you up to nowdays, except getting LW to run on Irix on Octanes?
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

  7. #7
    My first job in 1995 was working on an SGI Octane 2 running Irix. Softimage3D and Matador(paint program) were installed on it. I actually had an opportunity to play with the T-Rex rig used in Jurassic Park (1993), I do remember it took forever to update when trying to move him around - it was a heavy rig. I used Impulse Imagine at home.
    Gary Chike

  8. #8
    Huh, this is nice blast from the past man, welcome back.
    Well even today we have Octane for LightWave, it's much faster now-days and a different thing but still nice to have that name back in business .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

  9. #9
    The Real Homestar. Intuition's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Hey man... Welcome back! What are you up to nowdays, except getting LW to run on Irix on Octanes?
    Same thing I have been since 1995. Keyboard. Mouse. Screen. Sometimes wacom tablet. In front of some xyz coordinate 3d application.

    Mostly still in Maya since 2006 with the occasional Houdini need. Mostly Redshift gigs with the occasional Vray/Arnold gig.

    Back in Venice after doing a small time in Hollywood from 2005-2008.

    Last gig was a bunch of simulations for fire and smoke, before that rigging characters, this month it is all prop and environment lookdev.

    3D life.

    One of these nights I'll download the latest Lightwave and see what I have been missing since the core days.
    -----------------
    KC

  10. #10
    The Real Homestar. Intuition's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Huh, this is nice blast from the past man, welcome back.
    Well even today we have Octane for LightWave, it's much faster now-days and a different thing but still nice to have that name back in business .
    I remember we spent so much time trying to get Lightwave to have its own preview renderer since Worley seemed to abandon F-Prime and they finally did it and now we all just have these GPU engines now that do the same thing a decade later. I never used Octane much but that was because I was in a Maya/Vray world from 2008 onwards up until the GPU engines arrived.

    Is Octane now a go to render engine for LW these days?

    People still using Kray?
    -----------------
    KC

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
    I remember we spent so much time trying to get Lightwave to have its own preview renderer since Worley seemed to abandon F-Prime and they finally did it and now we all just have these GPU engines now that do the same thing a decade later. I never used Octane much but that was because I was in a Maya/Vray world from 2008 onwards up until the GPU engines arrived.
    Heheh yeah, FPRIME was ahead of it's time. Nostradamus of 3D rendering

    Quote Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
    Is Octane now a go to render engine for LW these days?
    Nowdays i use Octane for 95% of my rendering stuff, LW Octane has very good integration and feature set overall. Lot of my stuff on WEB (www.ram-studio.hr/portfolio) is LW+Octane.


    Quote Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
    People still using Kray?
    Aparently they do but i've not seen much posts about it.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

  12. #12
    Almost newbie Cageman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Malmö, SWEDEN
    Posts
    7,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
    Same thing I have been since 1995. Keyboard. Mouse. Screen. Sometimes wacom tablet. In front of some xyz coordinate 3d application.

    Mostly still in Maya since 2006 with the occasional Houdini need. Mostly Redshift gigs with the occasional Vray/Arnold gig.

    Back in Venice after doing a small time in Hollywood from 2005-2008.

    Last gig was a bunch of simulations for fire and smoke, before that rigging characters, this month it is all prop and environment lookdev.

    3D life.

    One of these nights I'll download the latest Lightwave and see what I have been missing since the core days.
    Hehe... last time we spoke you were at Digital Domain. As you can see, I'm still at Massive, using LW, Maya, MotionBuilder and Houdini.

    LWs native renderer has been updated quite much, as you will notice. It is using a principled BSDF shader, very close to what you find in Arnold/Mantra and works very well with the PBR workflow (also similar in noise reduction with samples vs camera samples etc), esp if you are using something like Substance Painter. It is a bit slower than the "oldschool renderer", but, if you stick to PBR workflow, it is way, way faster to setup surfaces etc, so... the many times time went into tweaking surfaces, will now be "offloaded" to the renderengine instead, and in many cases, for me, it has lead to being able to do more in less time compared to "oldschool render". This also means that it is alot easier to match renders with Arnold/Mantra or any render engine that uses PBR workflow with principled shader.

    Some really cool things have been added to LW regarding UI as well... CTRL+Space is one of my favourites. Also, you know those pesky dropdown menus, for example in Motion Options, where you have to select a target for a camera, as an example. You can now filter those dropdowns by typing... There is a new navigation system in LW2019 that I've not been using yet. Also, for stills... LW has a built-in version of the Nvidia AI-denoiser (requiers an NVidia GFX card though).

    Oh well... lots and lots more in LW these days to be happy about.
    Last edited by Cageman; 09-01-2019 at 06:59 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

  13. #13
    The Real Homestar. Intuition's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Hehe... last time we spoke you were at Digital Domain. As you can see, I'm still at Massive, using LW, Maya, MotionBuilder and Houdini.
    Digital Domain had three consecutive layoffs between 2012 and 2013. On the 3rd wave they offered to send me up to Vancouver for six months and then bring me back when there was local work. I just saw it as a two fold layer of ruining my staff position. One... by making me sign a contract that would nullify my severance package from the previous contract and ....two... pushing me to Vancouver for a time also giving me a lower rate in a place more expensive to live all so the studios or execs or whomever could save money. I refused. Took my severance and took time for myself for six months. By early 2014 I was back working again after a long needed time off to tend to some health issues. It worked and it worked well. I've been off and on at different places since depending on need. Prologue, Halon, Timber, Mirada, Arsenal, Method, back to Digital Domain a couple times, Nomad Edit, Imaginary Forces, Drive Studios, and now Kevin VFX. Only Timber was a staff position for a year. The rest freelance.

    Its been a good life. I like the change of routine. I can't stress enough for people to fill out as thoroughly as possible a LinkedIn Profile. It is constantly being hit with offers for work. It does my job finding for me since it is a recruiters modern Rolodex now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    LWs native renderer has been updated quite much, as you will notice. It is using a principled BSDF shader, very close to what you find in Arnold/Mantra and works very well with the PBR workflow (also similar in noise reduction with samples vs camera samples etc), esp if you are using something like Substance Painter. It is a bit slower than the "oldschool renderer", but, if you stick to PBR workflow, it is way, way faster to setup surfaces etc, so... the many times time went into tweaking surfaces, will now be "offloaded" to the renderengine instead, and in many cases, for me, it has lead to being able to do more in less time compared to "oldschool render". This also means that it is alot easier to match renders with Arnold/Mantra or any render engine that uses PBR workflow with principled shader.

    Some really cool things have been added to LW regarding UI as well... CTRL+Space is one of my favourites. Also, you know those pesky dropdown menus, for example in Motion Options, where you have to select a target for a camera, as an example. You can now filter those dropdowns by typing... There is a new navigation system in LW2019 that I've not been using yet. Also, for stills... LW has a built-in version of the Nvidia AI-denoiser (requiers an NVidia GFX card though).

    Oh well... lots and lots more in LW these days to be happy about.
    I have always been drawn to render engines first and Lightwave's engine always had a special place in my heart. Though since I use Redshift I can imagine the draw to Octane in LW since it is basically the same idea.

    I am betting if I went back and looked at all the complaint posts I made before Core was announced that most of those complaints have been addressed. It looks like the current LW has almost everything we were asking for in 2008-2009. Thats why I should try it out. Just to see how those requests turned out.

    Also, I am wondering about the CTRL+Space. I used to rave about Maya's or Modo's context sensitive marking menus/pie menus. Is the CTRL+Space similar to that workflow now?
    -----------------
    KC

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •