Thread: Mesh Freezing workarounds?

Mesh Freezing workarounds?

I've added 7 copies of a boned figure to my scene, and now every time I render a test frame each figure takes 30seconds "Mesh freezing", and then when the render is done, another 30 seconds "freezing" before I can start editing again. I've set most of them to display as bounding box, and display subd level 1, but that doesnt seem to help.

Any good work arounds to make this less painful? Most of them dont have to move at all.
    Ocean Byrne
    humble pixel farmer
    www.moceandesigns.com

Is your subdivision order set to "last"?
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

Quote Originally Posted by daforum View Post
    Is your subdivision order set to "last"?
    Yes. ?

Not seeing that it makes a difference in this regard whatever I set it to.
    Last edited by objuan; 08-23-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    Ocean Byrne
    humble pixel farmer
    www.moceandesigns.com

If you do not have to move them, do not use subpatched surface, freeze it in modeler and do not use any subpatches at all,
    you freeze them at the same level in modeler with the help of the general options in modeler, and there you have subpatch divisions, set it the same as you had in layout if that is what you wanted, then hit ctrl-d to freeze it, then sync with layout again...and don´t subpatch it again.

Subd level in layout display has nothing to do with the renderer, it is render subpatch level you need to set for it to affect the render.

But since you do not need to further control subdivisions or have it move, you just freeze it in modeler, and in layout it will render without having to freeze each object.

Just what are render subdivision settings in Layout for the model(s) in question? Unusually high?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Just what are render subdivision settings in Layout for the model(s) in question? Unusually high?
    No. 3 to render, 1 for display, and most of them are set to bounding box so in theory it doest not need to display, but every time I come back from rendering a still it takes plenty of time, as does kicking off a render.

I was thinking along those line Prometheus, though hoping to avoid it. Thanks.
    Ocean Byrne
    humble pixel farmer
    www.moceandesigns.com

Frequenter
    I am not in front of LW right now. But would not having the setting for display (3 instead of 1) and render both the same make a difference here?

This sounds remarkably similar to the issue FiberFX has, and that has to do with the vparms system within lightwave.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    This sounds remarkably similar to the issue FiberFX has, and that has to do with the vparms system within lightwave.
    whats that?

FiberFX has a very annoying habit of wanting to update the fiber data for such things and manipulating objects, bones, the timeline, light settings, at alia. Somethings I can see, but at every user interaction?

Normally, with a few thousand fibers, this isn't an issue. However, moving onto a realistically furred large cat... The lag gets painful. Like 2 minutes for 3 layers of FFX, totalling 4M fibers...

And then, there is the load / unload when starting / finishing the render, and the excessively long "Freezing mesh" at the start of render...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    I am not in front of LW right now. But would not having the setting for display (3 instead of 1) and render both the same make a difference here?
    I think fishhead is right about having the display levels and render levels the same. That should prevent the "mesh freezing" happening all the time.
    Let us know if you resolved the issue.
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

Well sure enough, having Display and Render set to the same number eliminates the long time waiting for it to "freeze" the mesh. It also largely eliminates the purpose of setting a lower display res to speed things up, but glad to be able to deal with this situation quicker...
    Ocean Byrne
    humble pixel farmer
    www.moceandesigns.com

Way back when I was with Rhythm & Hues, our Render Submit tool would match the preview and render settings for objects before it submitted a file, with the option to use the scene's settings if you really wanted that. This only affected rendering and didn't actually change the file's settings, and it definitely sped up our renders by avoiding the 'freezing' step.

I wish LightWave had this feature this natively.