Thread: Importing Lower Third w/Alpha Channel from FCP X

Importing Lower Third w/Alpha Channel from FCP X

I have used the instructions found here, and no luck. I cant seem to get it to keep the alpha channel on import.
    https://www.newtek.com/blog/tips/imp...nto-tricaster/

Please help!

I have AE 2 on a Mini 40.

Going to assume you have a Mini - the TC40 is an entirely different machine.

How are you testing whether the alpha is working - using the clip in a DDR assigned to DSK overlay?

Are you certain the alpha was present in the source before exporting from FCP X?

It will be helpful if you can share what the original source of lower third anim was, what you did with it, prior to exporting per the instructions in link you provided. That might be the key, assuming the export was correct.

You might also consider whether the lower third could be run from an Anim Buffer rather than a DDR. In that case, one can export an Image Sequence from NLE (series of stills with alpha, like .png format, rather than a video clip) and then just use ASE (Animation Store Creator) to create an Anim Buffer animation from those stills. I often prefer that workflow since it frees up a DDR.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Yes, I am using an DSK. I have the mini and created a event using a alpha lower third from FCPX library. I then followed the export instructions per the link i provided then imported via the tricaster import option and it does not show transparency.

I don't suppose the clip, prior to import, is small enough to upload here?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

If you bring the Exported clip back into FCP, does the overlay work there? Just to determine if the export is definitely bad or if something in TriCaster is the issue?
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I wrote that article. I was only concerned with graphics applications exporting a media file with alpha channel (After Effects, Fusion and LightWave). For NLE systems, the steps are for exporting video with no alpha, which is what the article documents.

I went back and tool a look, while TriCaster can import ProRes, is doesn't support alpha on import. FCP-X has a limited selection of alpha export options (ProRes 4444 and ProRes 4444XQ), TriCaster will import both, but the alpha is stripped in the process.

I would recommend running the file thru a graphics tool that can export with alpha channel way that TriCaster likes. BMD Fusion is a free choice and I have the steps documented for that.
    Last edited by kanep; 08-20-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

When we were using out T-40 V1, I would do lower thirds in After Effects, render them out with the alpha as a part of the file and play them from a DDR.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Quote Originally Posted by Stream View Post
    When we were using out T-40 V1, I would do lower thirds in After Effects, render them out with the alpha as a part of the file and play them from a DDR.
    I have step by step instructions on this exact workflow for current TriCaster models with After Effects on both PC and Mac.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.