Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Terrence Walker Lightwave 2019 musings

Personally, I think the future has never looked brighter for LW. With 2018, 2019, and the update, then the upgrade offer from all prior versions, I mean that seems pretty promising. The problem I see is that with so much change, it seems to be affecting which third party developers are keeping up or letting go. I have mentioned this before, but when I think of LW, I don't see it as a single entity, but rather a constellation of things. And with the right set of 3D add ons, including Orgami D, 3rd Powers, RHiggit, DPont, DBW, and Octane and so on, I think as Rebel Hill has stated in one of his LSR tutorials, you end up with something that's pretty special. So when people generically criticize the program and of course, it's not perfect, I think they are over generalizing because it can become and is more than the sum of its parts. And once you know your way around the program, to me, there's so much you can do with it, it never ceases to amaze me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    Personally, I think the future has never looked brighter for LW. With 2018, 2019, and the update, then the upgrade offer from all prior versions, I mean that seems pretty promising. The problem I see is that with so much change, it seems to be affecting which third party developers are keeping up or letting go. I have mentioned this before, but when I think of LW, I don't see it as a single entity, but rather a constellation of things. And with the right set of 3D add ons, including Orgami D, 3rd Powers, RHiggit, DPont, DBW, and Octane and so on, I think as Rebel Hill has stated in one of his LSR tutorials, you end up with something that's pretty special. So when people generically criticize the program and of course, it's not perfect, I think they are over generalizing because it can become and is more than the sum of its parts. And once you know your way around the program, to me, there's so much you can do with it, it never ceases to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    So, completing and releasing 2019.1, 2019.1.1 and 2019.1.2 is "just resting" rather than "kicking" since the acquisition?

And "Norwegian blue"?

Attachment 145807

Was just trying to be funny with the fact that vizrt is based in Norway if I am not wrong.
    But I guess it wasnīt clear enough.
    And for resting..just pure irony when someone mentions something is dead,and with reference to monthy python, it had absolutely nothing to do with the releases you mentioned.
    Special reference to cleese and palin conversation, where cleese mentions the parrot is dead, and palin goes..nah, itīs just resting..I just love that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    I read "Norwegian blue" as a joke.  
    No, LightWave ain't no "Norwegian blue".

if Prometheus wrote it as a joke, can't say, i'll wait for his reply. 

as for Giger, well... i'll let him answer  

-------------

i'll add this tho' [!]
    There is no denying Modeler has been close to untouched for ~15 years [!]

-------------

VizRT's lack of LightWave acknowledgement has also been unlucky.
    But users have discussed LightWave marketing before, and it is a closed chapter.
    As you guessed, it was a joke, it didnīt occour to me that anyone could see it as anything else, but there you go...I got to work on my comedian skills it seems.

I can see how it could be taken literally, looking at the NT forum history.

case closed.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Was just trying to be funny with the fact that vizrt is based in Norway if I am not wrong.
    But I guess it wasnīt clear enough.
    And for resting..just pure irony when someone mentions something is dead,and with reference to monthy python, it had absolutely nothing to do with the releases you mentioned.
    Special reference to cleese and palin conversation, where cleese mentions the parrot is dead, and palin goes..nah, itīs just resting..I just love that comment.

As you guessed, it was a joke, it didnīt occour to me that anyone could see it as anything else, but there you go...I got to work on my comedian skills it seems.
    Actually, you did fine - your post really tickled me, especially the Norwegian blue part because of Vizrt's nice bright orange logo vs NewTek's blue. Aaaaaand so I just couldn't resist messing with everybody. That's why that at the bottom of it all.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

So, completing and releasing 2019.1, 2019.1.1 and 2019.1.2 is "just resting" rather than "kicking" since the acquisition?

And "Norwegian blue"?

Attachment 145807

Actually, you did fine - your post really tickled me, especially the Norwegian blue part because of Vizrt's nice bright orange logo vs NewTek's blue. Aaaaaand so I just couldn't resist messing with everybody. That's why that at the bottom of it all.

Glad it was perceived as such, I thought that devil mark was made with irony as well..even if you would have taken it really seriously, I doubt you would have marked such emotions in a serious comment post to show your anger, instead of explaining the thing or commenting it only with clear words.

I appreciate the raised level of communication that I see from you in various topics regarding some of the Newteks views or positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    *snip*

Last week I posted how pleased I am with LW 2019 VPR with Exrtrader and ODtools for hires print renders.

The response, from a longtime lightwaver... basically "cool story bro but Blender can beat that...you should donate". In a LW forum.

Why the incessant tactlessness and negativity? What exactly is the goal?
    I guess you read me a bit wrong, and I might have been unclear.

The only package out there that can beat LW in terms of price / performance regarding your work that you described is Blender... which is "free".

I just wanted to evoke the question if Blender really IS free... And no, it isn't. I am still a LW user and will use it, no matter what other people say.

Sorry if I made a comment that wasn't clear... that is on me.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    Aye...

I've seen people actually completing Houdini tutorials in LW. And that is... take a Houdini tutorial and then, instead of doing it in Houdini, do it in LW.

That to me is a bit crazy and speaks volumes about LWs capabilities if you have the brainpower.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    I just wanted to evoke the question if Blender really IS free... And no, it isn't.
    Well Blender absolutely is free. That doesn't mean it doesn't cost money to develop, but for the end user it is absolutely free and every user is under no obligation to ever donate or contribute to its development. You can use Blender for as long as you like, use it personally or commercially, and never give a cent. And I think truth be told, many people do just that.
    That said, I do think if you use any software, Blender, LW, whatever, you should be funding its development. Either through donations or other methods in Blender and buying each upgrade to LW as it comes out whether it has new features you need or not. Because next time a version comes out, it just might and it needs supported to get there.

On the Houdini bit... well, that's a bit of a stretch to suggest LW is capable of Houdini level of work. I'd say almost no other app out there is as capable as Houdini. Houdini is the pinnacle of proceduralism and LW might be one of the least procedural apps out there as far as geometry creation or modification.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 08-26-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    On the Houdini bit... well, that's a bit of a stretch to suggest LW is capable of Houdini level of work.
    No one made that claim, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    I guess you read me a bit wrong, and I might have been unclear.

The only package out there that can beat LW in terms of price / performance regarding your work that you described is Blender... which is "free".

I just wanted to evoke the question if Blender really IS free... And no, it isn't. I am still a LW user and will use it, no matter what other people say.

Sorry if I made a comment that wasn't clear... that is on me.
    Well.. Cageman..my man
    To me Blender has been free as long as I have used it, havenīt spent a single dime on it, though I suspect that will probably change very soon since I am very interested in the hardops and box cutter, probably more so than a future investment in LWcad, have to see what happens in general in the lw workflow ahead though..hoping it doesnīt take too long in lw development before any substantional model improvements are in place, if that is to be in modeler only or in layout as well.

Perhaps the question you refered to and answered could have been put up like, "If blender Basic really IS free, for users?...and that is undeniable a Yes.
    As for houdini tutorial, that doesnīt really say much...You can do a lightwave tutorial or a houdini tutorial in blender if you want to, no idea on what that actually refers to in tutorial complexity, but I guess maybe you ment some nodal trickery, like bryphi has done with tutorials from houdini adapted to Lightwave workflow?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...has been free as long as I have used it, havenīt spent a single dime on it, though I suspect that will probably change very soon since I am very interested in the hardops and box cutter...
    You can get hardops and boxcutter for free...and this is why Cageman is wise to question the concept of "free". Somebody is paying dearly.

While a marketplace sells these add-ons, they (like so many other add-ons) are licensed as GPL. This means one person can buy the add-on and then start to distribute it for free...immediately wrecking the market and any incentive for the original developer to maintain it. Additionally, most add-ons are readable/editable python (open source) so replicas by others (competitors for this fragile market) are easy to create.

Developers of "paid" add-ons can be easily victimized by the GPL ecosystem.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    You can get hardops and boxcutter for free...and this is why Cageman is wise to question the concept of "free". Somebody is paying dearly.

While a marketplace sells these add-ons, they (like so many other add-ons) are licensed as GPL. This means one person can buy the add-on and then start to distribute it for free...immediately wrecking the market and any incentive for the original developer to maintain it. Additionally, most add-ons are readable/editable python (open source) so replicas by others (competitors for this fragile market) are easy to create.

Developers of "paid" add-ons can be easily victimized by the GPL ecosystem.
    And the developers should know that going in. Ton has made that clear that he doesn't want people getting into the business of selling Blender code. You can't go into a clearly defined space with rules, and then declare yourself a victim when other people play by the rules. And the rules of the GPL license state that any code under the GPL license must be free. When you get something off the Blender market that falls under the GPL license, you're essentially paying a download fee.
    But it still works and people still use the marketplace even though they technically can get a copy for free elsewhere.
    To me, I like buying off the marketplace for a few reasons:
    I like supporting developers
    It gives me a one stop place to download updates to the add ons
    Some money goes back to the Blender Development fund

So no one is being victimized.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    ...So no one is being victimized....
    http://www.cgchannel.com/2018/11/man...-bastioni-lab/
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

MB Lab is still being developed but not by the original author i believe.

Also yes some can be got for free if you know where to look (Github), however they are not always the latest versions.

I agree with hrgiger on this, no one is being victimized because the GPL is quite clear.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 08-27-2019 at 01:57 PM.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast