Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leap Motion Control

Leap Motion Control

Does anyone have this $200 device? Does it work with Lightwave VST? This could be quite cool for puppeting facial animation or any part of character animation if the wrist and finger rotation values are visible in VST.

Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

"All war is deception." - Sun Tzu

Carm,
    I have one but haven't had it plugged in in 5 years as the software was quite raw when it was first released.
    Looked at the site and I will give it a new try this week to see how it has improved.
    Lightwave has VST?

I have not seen anyone else talk about this device in all the years its been out. I wanted it for hands, too.

Thanks UnCommon! I look forward to reading about your findings!
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

if anybody knows it will be Dave Vrba @ LW3dG he did Nevron. let us know?

I actually have a partially working plugin for this, that was going to be part of the Ubercam VST tools.

I just didn't know if there was a market for it. No one seems to be using VST anymore.

Maybe this is a chicken / egg situation. It's pretty cool for doing puppetry.

Full support for it will be in Glycon shortly. I might still do a VST plugin though if people would use it.

-Chilton

I'm hearing from someone the Leap Motion gives pretty jittery results.

If you make a VST plugin for this, would it be commercial? If so, roughly how much would you charge for it?
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I've got a LEAP too, I'd be interested if anything progresses.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by Carm3D View Post
    I'm hearing from someone the Leap Motion gives pretty jittery results.

If you make a VST plugin for this, would it be commercial? If so, roughly how much would you charge for it?
    $50 or so, probably.

Here's my reasoning. I swear this is 100% how my brain figured this price out.

You see, the Leap itself is physically small, so software for it obviously shouldn't be too expensive.

But on the other hand, animating hands is a PITA, and I'm doing that right now for a client's project, and holy carp I'd pay $200 if there was something that made this super easy.

Now, my Leap was a gift from a client, so I have no idea what its intrinsic 'worth' is.
    But if I'd paid for it and couldn't actually use it for anything, that would drive me up the wall.

Also, the Leap has four letters in its name, so obviously it shouldn't cost more than $75. But it's silver and black, so it shouldn't cost less than $40.

-Chilton

bit info here, might be of value.

user feedback...

https://www.amazon.com/Leap-Motion-C...ustomerReviews
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

there is Perception Neuron
    unfortunately $1800 now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLQzOD8xCVE
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I have the Perception Neuron. I just thought it would be cool to be able to puppet VST stuff (something PN cannot do) without having to "suit up." I'm thinking I will instead buy a couple of flight sticks for now.
    Carm
    Carm3D.com
    vimeo.com/carm3d

Re Neuron, from what my users are telling me, you can get the same or better results from Glycon with a Vive and additional trackers, for much less.

I'm biased, of course. But damn, those suits are expensive.

-Chilton

Leap motion is a specialty device, I don't recommend it for animation because it is hard to coordinate the gestures to align with an animation efficiently. I still find that just having a limited set of hand poses and having a fast way to cycle between those poses is the fastest workflow for the time being (with ikbooster used for any detail stuff). I do have a valve index that tracks the fingers, but I found that the tracking data is not finessed enough for quality animation... its only useful when the data is applied in 1 of 3 states (hand open, squeezing controller, and hand resting on controller).

A good example of what a good VR headset alone can do. The only hand-keyed elements are the facial expressions, the rest is me doing it live.

Last edited by Ryan Roye; 08-20-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    Leap motion is a specialty device, I don't recommend it for animation because it is hard to coordinate the gestures to align with an animation efficiently. I still find that just having a limited set of hand poses and having a fast way to cycle between those poses is the fastest workflow for the time being (with ikbooster used for any detail stuff). I do have a valve index that tracks the fingers, but I found that the tracking data is not finessed enough for quality animation... its only useful when the data is applied in 1 of 3 states (hand open, squeezing controller, and hand resting on controller).

A good example of what a good VR headset alone can do. The only hand-keyed elements are the facial expressions, the rest is me doing it live.

LOL that is awesome!

If I could control anything in Layout while using a headset/controllers, as well as have access to the timeline/recording controls, I'd pay a big penny for this! (We talked about this before )

Hope you get enough interest from LW users!
    Video and Animation Auteur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast