Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arched windows-How would you model them?

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

can't do this tho' ?
    > nuArchitect
    LOL, no :-)

Somebody might come up with a procedural cathedral generator someday!
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

They will.  

Been looking into Blender lately. Some very nice stuff, but some stuff that i found LightWave was better at.

I might make a Blender <> LightWave Bridge using AHK when the time comes. Ain't gonna happen soon.

2.80 is nice. 2.79 not so much.

But nice to see both apps having their potential, and together forming a strong Union.

-------

Not going to go into details, since it always creates a "war" amongst certain parties.  
    Last edited by erikals; 08-16-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

somewhat related, plugin >

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    How about Blender's built-in addon Archimesh-->Panel Window? Non-destructive arched panel windows, and a good start. Takes halve a minute to create a good base panel window with simple tweaking options. Adding the remaining arch geometry by hand is a matter of minutes.

I did mention that previously in this thread in my post nr 4..but it canīt make that kind of windows...se quote down below..

And no Rayek, using archimesh to do this and then later add the arch geometry within minutes..that will actually take a longer time than doing it in Lightwave according to the methods Kryslin and I
    went for.

"Iīm gonna do some blender sessions as well and see whatīs more comfortable to work with, you go the wire tool to adress sections there,
    there is also the archimesh panel windows in blener which can use some arched windows, but donīt think it has this kind of framing to set up.
    One advantage there may be that the rounding resolution is parametrical and can be changed at anytime. "

not perfect, and bad audio, but...

]
    Good to have various alternatives..but I think you get involved in a bit too complicated operations to end the process here.
    Kryslins is good...also try a capsule in z direction, you can set desired radius from the start, then just flatten it all with v and 0 value in z direction, merge points, and unify polygons.
    merge the three sections, the remaining three sections in the top arch level, on one side then on the lower arch section, you could then just delete the mirror side and mirror the whole thing.

I need to record this.

could also be of use >

I'm a fan of using lines and profiler in LWCAD.
    (it's still processing at the time of posting. Will be HD soon enough)
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post
    I'm a fan of using lines and profiler in LWCAD.
    (it's still processing at the time of posting. Will be HD soon enough)
    Yes, good demonstration...and I would have like to have and use it too someday, Ivé tried it ..So I am aware of what it is capbable of.

Iīll get the point, then again..the process is taking longer time than actually doing it natively with the method kryslin described or what I suggested with a capsule to start with.
    LW cad may be more flexible and more exact ..and especially when you want something not exactly built upon the method we described.

For example..you copy a horizontal line, then pull it to the side and then clone it three times, and you need to specify the amount of offset, now...if you would just have selected the bottom part below the arch..in polymode (which you canīt do right there if using lines) and just hit "l" for connect 2 times, then you would have your 3 horizontal splits made with two clicks, such split works only on polys and if you already have a center split, if you would have selected it in edge mode, you would only get one split and would have to reselect and split again.

Edit ...checking basic primitives, the superquadric tool will let you create an arch faster than what I described with using a capsule, the superquadric tool letīyou set a zero z depth length, you wonīt have to flatten it, only set bulge settings as in the image sample, then delete bottom half...rest of the process is extending and dissolve or merge polygons in the arched sections, then bevel the framing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superquadric tool for arch top.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	145785

Or you could:
    - place the image of the window in the background (front view)
    - create the outer polygon (points on one side, mirrored across Y-axis, select, and P for polygon)
    (use a half circle for the arch, like in the other examples people here have shown)
    - create the rectangles for the windows on the left side
    (scale or stretch copies of the arch curve points for the curved arch windows and make them into polygons too)
    - Mirror the polys across the Y-axis
    - Drill -> Stencil the windows (windows in foreground and outline polygon in background)
    - select the windows and cut and paste them to another layer
    - select the face surface of the drilled polygon that comprise the frame
    - Extrude the frame
    - Paste the window polygons into the frame and move them on Z-axis until they're inset as far as you want them to be.

You could use this technique with pretty much any version of LightWave.

Name:	Arch-window_Stenciled.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	145786

That also gives you the option to do all kinds of crazy bevels and to independently mess with the glass geometry, if you so wish.

Name:	Arch-window_Beveled.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	145787
    Last edited by jbrookes; 08-19-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Does it matter how long it takes to make the initial window model if you're going to use it over and over again?
    Once you have it, you can do things like this. Pre-made boolean shape, ready to go.
    Last edited by OlaHaldor; 08-19-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    3D Generalist

Aaand you can reuse the curves to create variations with different profiles. Even engrave a poly loop to add even more fine detail.
    Get on that LWCAD train!
    3D Generalist

Does it matter how long it takes to make the initial window model if you're going to use it over and over again?
    Once you have it, you can do things like this. Pre-made boolean shape, ready to go.
    True.

Get on that LWCAD train!
    Agree, if you use LightWave professionally, there is no reason not to.

Thanks for the Vidz!   

Good to see you popping up here Ola and particularly good to see someone who is proficient with using LWCad put out some fresh vids. Viktor tends to rush over some things that really need to be touched on each time (such as the newish selection process) that I at least tend to forget how to use since I'm not using it every day.

I'm specially glad you showed how to effectively use the Profiler tool though.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to see you popping up here Ola and particularly good to see someone who is proficient with using LWCad put out some fresh vids. Viktor tends to rush over some things that really need to be touched on each time (such as the newish selection process) that I at least tend to forget how to use since I'm not using it every day.

I'm specially glad you showed how to effectively use the Profiler tool though.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Yes, for everyone who wantīs to know the fastest way to do it, and for everyone who doesnīt have lwcad..nor intend to get it.

And yes, once you have made the profil outline, why not reuse it instead of going through the process again everytime you need a window, makes no sense, unless you plan to add divisions etc, in that case for similar processes and results, it matters on how fast and simply you can make it...that was my point, not a competition on who can make it faster....the speed difference is negliable perhaps, but always good to know absolute fastest way..I think.

Once you have it and emphazise it with "which can do this and that"...that is however quite irrelevant for the question on how to model a window arch, it is a good time and option for promoting lwcad though, and
    for presenting the workflow and easy of use...that is of course some of the greatness with lw cad.

Pre made booleans is cool in lw-cad, no doubt about it, native booleans takes a bit longer..but you can simply keep an outline of your window in native lightwave based on the outline edges,or the full polyprofil, extend or extrued it with depth and keep it in a seperate layer, then when you clone or array clone that and the windows, you can just use them to boolean in to the building, and it would be just as fine..not as elegant as with realtime booleans..but it works.

True.

Agree, if you use LightWave professionally, there is no reason not to.

 
    I donīt, I used to though.
    Makes no sense to get lw cad now for me that is, and when I think about it...it made no sense to get the latest Lightwave release at all, being a hobbyist currently
    It just so happened that I liked some stuff in there ..and just was compelled to get it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast