Thread: LW 2019 instancing

LW 2019 instancing

I could remember way back I did a scene of a Martian landscape and got the rocks to follow the curves of the landscape. I seem to have forgotten how I did this now. Tried instancing one rock multiple times but they don't follow the curve of the terrain. They float above it. Any help? Been away from using lightwave for a bit.

In the instancing window under rotation, select alignment>normals

Also make sure your base rock model is modeled at (0,0,0) with some portion in negative Y to allow for sloping ground. Use the Instancer type of Surface, and then randomize Scale, Stretch and Rotation. Sample scene attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Instancer_RocksOfSurface_0000.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	145763

The ground is just a 100x100 box with 50 segments for displacement with a Displacement Map applied. The rock "base" was modeled with a Tesselated sphere Jittered and Subdivided (metaform) three times with decreasing size on the Jitter.

mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks guys and especially MonroePoteet for the example scene.

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    Also make sure your base rock model is modeled at (0,0,0) with some portion in negative Y to allow for sloping ground. Use the Instancer type of Surface, and then randomize Scale, Stretch and Rotation. Sample scene attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Instancer_RocksOfSurface_0000.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	145763

The ground is just a 100x100 box with 50 segments for displacement with a Displacement Map applied. The rock "base" was modeled with a Tesselated sphere Jittered and Subdivided (metaform) three times with decreasing size on the Jitter.

mTp
    Oh just loaded up the scene and there is only one rock and no surface included. I can see it in modeler, but something is amiss in layout. I Maybe need to adjust something.
    Last edited by genesis1; 08-15-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Scrub that. Just reloaded and its now working. Weird it didnt work the first time.