Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Particle birth from WeightMap

Additional notes...
    As I said..I needed a previous layer on top of the procedural node editor layer, not necessary, you can raise the opacity of the procedura node editor layer to 200% for it to take effect.

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post
    my scene,
    sphere_weight_emitter.ZIP

Denis.

I am testing these on 2019.1.1 and your scene as well as mine didnīt work until I raised opacity of the procedural node layer til 200%
    Maybe it just works without that change in 2015?

This does affect all kind of procedural for birthrate since LW 2015,
    but unfortunatly even with 200% opacity for procedural layer the result is not the same.

Also Alpha and PShop Exclusion, but not correct too, no value under 100%.

Denis.
    Last edited by dpont; 08-13-2019 at 07:38 AM.

And to let you know...

Not only particle emission is possible, just tried it with volume item, used the same node setup..but in the volume item node editor, plugin it to the texture input.. a bit trickie though since you need to match radius of the volume with the mesh size a bit.
    ..but itīs quite cool since I can use metamorphic and paint in the volumetrics almost in realtime with VPR active..but it may be wiser to use only OpenGL..since it could halt the system or crash it..just tested a few minutes of that.

So Now we got...
    1. Weight paint in layout with particle emission from weightmaps..Metamorphic assisted.(working)
    2. Weight paint in layout with volume density distribution from weightmaps...Metamorphic assisted. (working)
    3. Weight paint in layout with Gas solver fluid emission ...Metamorphic assisted ( Not checked yet)

One note though...will not say that it is due to that, but after installing the dp kit and using scenes like this with it..I get a few crashes, but Ivé worked only two days with the latest lw release ..and had no crashes at all until recent installation of the dp kit, but it could be metamorphic as well or other stuff.

Well Well, just to put in into perspective U all, a quote from Lightwiki traffic this year.

o Ian R: Nice, Dave suggest they use that in the Next particle updates to LW3DG if nobody gets it working!👍

o David Ridlen: I dont want to be too pushy. LW particles were last updated only two decades ago.

everybody chuckled after such a great Riden reply !

David Ridlen: I don't want to be too pushy. LW particles were last updated only two decades ago.
    everybody chuckled after such a great Ridlen reply!
    it's possible, Daisuke Ino from DStorm was the one that made it, and last time i checked he was still affiliated with DStorm.
    it's up to NT. but wouldn't bet on it.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post
    You may have a work around,

Nearest Point node set to the mesh,
    Point Info set to the Mesh and Weight map,

Attachment 145749

but approximate, because it only gives the nearest weight,
    not the averaged weight from surrounding points.

Denis.
    Thank you very much Denis, this works perfect!

Your nodes are incredible helpful.

Merci beaucoup ca marche trés bien! Salut

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    just fast, you can solve it by using a (collision object) displaced eraser object instead.

the weight painted eraser object must be approached like this...
    Thanks Erikals!

Note that the scene doesn't work in LW2019 (works in 2015.3). Interesting approach but for my use too much of a workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    3. Weight paint in layout with Gas solver fluid emission ...Metamorphic assisted ( Not checked yet)
    It works (thanks to Denis nodes).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mar_PaintWeights_GasVolume01.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	518.6 KB 
ID:	145755

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    It works (thanks to Denis nodes).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mar_PaintWeights_GasVolume01.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	518.6 KB 
ID:	145755
    Well..sort of, I think I stated three challenges...

1.painting in weigth map for particle birth..works.
    2.painting in volumetric distribution for the volume item..works.
    3.Then gas density production based on weightmap....now, that is not the same as the scene you setup...which in fact is using the weightmap to distribute particles...and those particles is what drives
    the fluid emission..that is not the same thing, I ment checking wether or not you can use the weightmap ONLY for driving the density emission of the fluids....just as you can in blender for instance and not with the help of the particles.

With blender you just paint weightmaps in, then connect the smoke and fire through the mesh used for fluid emission and itīs advanced tab, there you have both vertex group to choose which weight painted map you want, or use texture..from which you can either use an image texture or a procedural texture to determine the distribution.

So no...the Challenge is still open to verify that gas solver fluids with weightmap can be used to drive the density of the fluids, and not with the help of particles...I tried a bit yesterday, but I kept on getting crashing, so I couldnīt stand testing it further.
    using gas density texture channel is working though in the same way almost like tfd and blender, when it comes to using a procedural texture for the fluid distribution.

Ah ok. Didn't try that. Didn't mention the others because you said it worked

The whole Gas Solver thing in LW2019 is way too tedious to setup in my opinion and renders incredible slow in some situations but at least it's there.

I was able to render an animation where it fluids emitts from an object in LW2019 in a reasonable time but it required much tweaking.

Stability got a lot better in the recent version but I also had one crash last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Ah ok. Didn't try that. Didn't mention the others because you said it worked

The whole Gas Solver thing in LW2019 is way too tedious to setup in my opinion and renders incredible slow in some situations but at least it's there.

I was able to render an animation where it fluids emitts from an object in LW2019 in a reasonable time but it required much tweaking.

Stability got a lot better in the recent version but I also had one crash last night.
    yes stability may be better, I suspect..but canīt really swear it to be the case, dponts node may be cause of some crashes, historicly I have had issues with using his nodes..and resulting in crashing..donīt wanīt that to
    put a bad shimmer on Dpont..itīs just a feel I have due to experiencing more crashes once I have installed his nodes, could be other things too.
    Lightwave fellows should bless him really.

As for rendering slow..well..you can of course increase step size to reduce rendertimes..depends on how large your simulation is and what you can get away with quality wise, it may help to instead increase a lights volumetric samples instead, I rarely go under a sample of 10, and for some cases you may need as much as 40 samples for light volumetric samples.

To note is that rendering volumetrics such as fluids with the cpu in blender is probably even slower, but using the GPU is faster than Lightwaveīs cpu..but at certain resolutions of a high res simulation and the need to set low step lenght size to avoid artifacts, the cuda card will probably give up..meaning you are forced to in the end set it to cpu and longer renders, what it gives though is faster previews at a certain quality.

But the current state is way to poor in OpenGL presentation if you compare to a blender smoke openGL, which beats even TurbulenceFD with full fire and smoke presentation at the same time, and the gas solver it is a bit slower than blender simulation speed, itīs a bit difficult to compare with the lousy openGL presentation though.

I think TurbulenceFD is the fastest one to simulate at higher resolutions, and also gives decent quality if having low resolutions, but using the shading system is too slow compared to blender...a must in blender is to use the fairly new principle volume shader, In blender just keep in mind to change and increase the blackbody intensity often around 10 to get the fire temperature to show up...donīt know why that isnīt set by default..it should be.
    I often mix the principled volume shader, by duplicating it, and just change one of the shaders to heat or density instead of temperature, the original shader I leave as it was and then I mix them with the mix shader.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12