Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Maps than Bones

More Maps than Bones

This might be a question that RH is more knowledgeable in dealing with, but I'm sure others have had too at some point.

I've brought in an FBX exported from Daz. This gives the FK rig but also weight mapped geom. For humanoids, those maps work pretty well in use when converting the rig over to RHiggit2.

No so much with non humans such as with this Great Dane.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeadWtMaps.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	425.0 KB 
ID:	145736

In RHiggit, using the Quadruped Digitigrade preset, you get a Head & Jaw bone. The Jaw geom is wt mapped on it's own, but the head has many more & specific areas mapped as you can see.

Is there a way of assigning more than one map to a bone?

If not, is the best approach just to make new maps? I'd like to keep the originals, maybe for morph purposes or such later on if the geom size doesn't start ballooning up too much.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

I think these are extra weights that can be used with facial rigging. Just ignore it. You can assign the same weight to different bones, but you cannot assign different weights to the same bone.

Most of those are for facial rigging and can be ignored if you don't have any. However, you might have to make a "dog_head_<char. name>" weight map for the head.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    Most of those are for facial rigging and can be ignored if you don't have any. However, you might have to make a "dog_head_<char. name>" weight map for the head.
    Right, that's what I was getting at I guess.

I'll see if the older tools for weight working in Modeler are still happy in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    I think these are extra weights that can be used with facial rigging. Just ignore it. You can assign the same weight to different bones, but you cannot assign different weights to the same bone.
    Would be nice if such a tool existed I'd think.

I believe that 3rd Powers Paint weights has a combine weights tool, which is effectively the same thing as assigning multiple weights to the same bone. Of course there is nothing really wrong with modelers weight tools.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    I believe that 3rd Powers Paint weights has a combine weights tool, which is effectively the same thing as assigning multiple weights to the same bone. Of course there is nothing really wrong with modelers weight tools.
    It's largely testing what still works & even just finding things. Was watching a not that old vid that erikals did using a wt map selection tool that I'd used some time ago, but just couldn't find it since probably 2018.x. Turns out it's now a python script; ...\LightWave_2019.1.0\support\plugins\scripts\Pyt hon\Modeler\CommandSequence\selectbymapinfl.py

So, I got that installed & working along with Mike Greens blur tool so think I'm ready to tackle this.

Of course there is nothing really wrong with modelers weight tools.
    Well, they're a bit basic, but if you're willing to deal with certain needs manually (as in, you figure out the math yourself), they'll do the job.

That said, I do think Paint Weights is a "must-have plugin" at this point. Modeler<->Layout sync pushes stability risks, and manual alternative is a significant workflow hitch. Avoiding a bunch of Modeler<->Layout round-trips is a significant benefit (IMO), and on top of that, PaintWeights offers broader/deeper weight mgmt. toolset (and superior UI/UX in many ways). Being able to generate wmaps/vmaps "on-demand" in Layout enables other useful workflows, as well.
    Last edited by jwiede; 08-10-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Well, they're a bit basic, but if you're willing to deal with certain needs manually (as in, you figure out the math yourself), they'll do the job.

That said, I do think Paint Weights is a "must-have plugin" at this point. Modeler<->Layout sync pushes stability risks, and manual alternative is a significant workflow hitch. Avoiding a bunch of Modeler<->Layout round-trips is a significant benefit (IMO), and on top of that, PaintWeights offers broader/deeper weight mgmt. toolset (and superior UI/UX in many ways). Being able to generate wmaps/vmaps "on-demand" in Layout enables other useful workflows, as well.
    They got me thru. I used the CombineWeights tool to build up from what was there. Don't know if the results are vastly better or not, but good practice.

Had to revisit Body Builder in Rhiggit a couple times to refine but no real issue other than trying to see the controls in a structure as convoluted as this dogs foot. He has a mouth structure too that I'm going to leave alone for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AckMe018_003.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	738.1 KB 
ID:	145739

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post

I agree. Modelers weight tools tend to break down if you want per bone weights. They work reasonably well if you have skelegons properly named and generate them, but it’s not like the skelegon tools Are particularly good either. Modeler’s tools are fine for separation maps or editing a few maps here and there, and are quite good for non-bone weightmapping. Paint weights is an order of magnitude more powerful for bone weighting.

Paint weights is an order of magnitude more powerful for bone weighting.
    Do you have a link for that? Could find with the usual search.

Yeah thanks for the Paint Weights reminder, just added that to my plugins collection.

I was always on the fence about this one because I expected NewTek to implement this in Layout. It should be native in Layout since long and Metamorphic is very slow for any vertex map action. So finally I have this important feature added to Layout.

The license file (including the previous plugin licenses) was provided within minutes by 3rd Powers / Masahiro Hasegawa.

3rd Powers rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Yeah thanks for the Paint Weights reminder, just added that to my plugins collection.

I was always on the fence about this one because I expected NewTek to implement this in Layout. It should be native in Layout since long and Metamorphic is very slow for any vertex map action. So finally I have this important feature added to Layout.

The license file (including the previous plugin licenses) was provided within minutes by 3rd Powers / Masahiro Hasegawa.

3rd Powers rocks!
    I remember this now. Had it on my "to get" list as well and also figured that Newtek would implement.

How are the docs for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I remember this now. Had it on my "to get" list as well and also figured that Newtek would implement.

How are the docs for it?
    It comes with a 20 page pdf reference, great documentation for a plugin!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast