Thread: MDD Playback Eat UP Harddrive Space

MDD Playback Eat UP Harddrive Space

Can anyone tell me if playing a large MDD file with multiple characters will take up one's hard drive space?? Something is, so I'm trying to find out what. thanks

Which mdd player are you using?
    The built-in one, as I recall, loads the whole file into memory while Dpont's loads the file frame-by-frame.

Dunno if this is the problem but something to check, particularly if you have multiple mdds in the scene.
    Robert

Using the built in one. Thanks

If it does load the file into memory, would there be some data written to the hard drive somewhere? Seems to be the case since I see my memory being eaten up and I can't find out where its going!!

If you are playing back multiple mdds and it's over your available ram then its caching lots of ram. (I know you know...just saying it ...)
    You say, "...where its going!" - it's going to be in a temp folder or some such; if you mean where its coming from - I, too, am curious at this point.
    VDBs were the last thing to randomly spew stuff to my harddrive.

I would say, put this into the bug system, if you haven't already.

OK, In the meantime, I'm trying to use Denis Pontonier's mdd plugin. 1st question is: does it read the md scan that I already have, cause I"m not getting anywhere with the mdd player? 2nd question: If not, what steps do I follow to scan and play the animation with his plugin? thanks again. BTW. Lately, the MDD player has been crashing when I play a walkcycle for example. Its only been doing that lately, which is strange.
    Last edited by jimiclaybrooks; 08-10-2019 at 06:05 AM.