Thread: Virtual Input not visible in StarLeaf

Registered User RichardGatarski's Avatar

Virtual Input not visible in StarLeaf

Hi,
    Seems that the StarLeaf app v3.6.33 (video conference system) does not show anything if "Newtek NDI Video" (latest 3.8) is selected as Camera. Checked that it works just fine with Skype.
    Guess it's an issue with StarLeaf, what should I ask their support in an attempt to have them fix it?
    Thanks,
    /Richard

Hi Richard,

Are you running NDI Virtual Input to convert the NDI to appear as a more common webcam source? Perhaps StarLeaf will accept that input.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Yes I do, and no perhaps. I am using NDI Virtual Input to have an NDI source on the system appear as a web am. That works just fine in Skype, but StarLeaf only lists "Newtek NDI Video" as a source, if selected nothing is shown. (to be precise, either a black frame or the last frame from the laptops webcam when that was selected as a source.
    Side note, the audio from Newtek NDI Video works fine as a mic input in StarLeaf.

Have you tried adjusting the graphics resolution and/or frame rate of laptop display that is providing the NDI source? What is that resolution currently? With TriCaster, I've sometimes had to adjust the laptop to a "video" resolution such as 720p (1280x720) when other computer-specific resolutions were not seen in TriCaster.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Jeff,
    I really appreciate that you are trying to help me here. But I am afraid the answer lies at the Newtek engineerings desk. I have not found any documentation from them about what the NDI Virtual Input does in technical terms.
    As a reply to your suggestion regarding the resolution, I've tried a few. Even used NDI Scan Converter to make an NDI source of a webcam and then used NDI Virtual Input to make that NDI Source a webcam. Didn't work in StarLeaf either...

What Jeff is speaking about is that the resolution of the Virtual Input camera matches that of the resolution of the NDI source. I've found some software, GoToMeeting and GoToTraining for example, that will not see the webcam video if the resolution is higher than 1280x720. I also have to make sure that I have it set to 1280x720 or lower before I start up the GoToMeeting software or else I have to close the application and restart it again to see the new Virtual Input camera resolution.

Don't know if that is the issue, but might be something to check.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane,
    I have tried 1280x720 at 25p. 29.97p and 30p using Zenvideo's ZEN NDI GradBG to generate the NDI video, but it does not help.
    If you finde it useful I can send you an invite to StarLeaf so, or someone at Newtek, you can try.
    But as I said, I am pretty sure it is StarLeaf who needs to fix, problem is I don't know what to say to them. (Except that they should implement NDI as Skype has