Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: LightWave 3DŽ 2019.1.2 is Available Now - Updated!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Your findings seem to be in line with what tech support told me originally "that it is a firewall issue" The only software firewall I have is the Windows one so I'm going to keep it on for now. Microsoft must have made some changes to how the firewall works in 1903 to be causing these issues with so many users.

Not sure about your Modeler config problem but be sure to set " run as administrator" for Modeler and maybe that will solve it.
    Well, there's another twist to this issue that may point to a memory issue. I found that clicking the Modeler button in Layout, editing an object, then saving it in Modeler, not only does the object not update in Layout, but if you manually load a second copy of the object, Layout loads the old (cached?) version. If I remove all copies of the object in Layout then load a fresh copy, it loads the updated object saved from Modeler. I submitted this as a bug report. Hopefully they can squash this pesky bug soon.

Got to witness to a layout save of object with bones, then modeler is Poof, gone..it just shuts down and I had to reload again...not sure if that was talked about here, but this is in 2019.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Got to witness to a layout save of object with bones, then modeler is Poof, gone..it just shuts down and I had to reload again...not sure if that was talked about here, but this is in 2019.1.1
    yea, I found that this type of crash may actually be caused by windows itself, it seems to be related to the way windows handles its focus, especially if you are using multiple monitors, I find that that if I start in modeller, send to layout, wait a few seconds, then click on the outer part of the window (title bar) to gain focus, when change back to modeller I save all objects, then save scene (not save all), click modeller drop down in layout, wait a few, then click window title bar of modeller to gain focus all goes smooth with no crash,
    if you just click from one app to the other often it will work but 25% to 50% of the time it will crash or just vanish instantly, oddly its only modeller that has that issue just vanishing, layout usually crashes with the windows error, and more often than not will let you save everything before you close the dialogue.
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    yea, I found that this type of crash may actually be caused by windows itself, it seems to be related to the way windows handles its focus, especially if you are using multiple monitors...
    Never had this issue with all the plenty software I use, no issues with Windows (10) and multi monitor setup with any other application.

Stability got much better in later LW2018 and 2019 versions. It's far from what I call rock stable and the Layout / Modeler split doesn't help here. Since I never use Modeler, I don't experience so many crashes anymore. And NewTek's update pace since LW2018 is very good.

Blender is also not more stable then LightWave from my little Blender experience.

My main 3D application almost never crashes, even when using many 3rd party addons and render engines or various other graphic related applications.

Also I do switch between multiple virtual machines running on the same machine on different screens frequently without ever having a stability issue.

I cannot imagine that these crashes have anything to do with Windows or using a multi monitor setup / changing application focus but with the way LW is working internally.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Well, there's another twist to this issue that may point to a memory issue. I found that clicking the Modeler button in Layout, editing an object, then saving it in Modeler, not only does the object not update in Layout, but if you manually load a second copy of the object, Layout loads the old (cached?) version. If I remove all copies of the object in Layout then load a fresh copy, it loads the updated object saved from Modeler. I submitted this as a bug report. Hopefully they can squash this pesky bug soon.
    Well, 2019.1.2 is updating between Modeler and Layout again, with no issues. No changes on my end, and as far as I know, Windows has not updated. Maybe it will only last until I reboot, but I'm happy that it's working at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Well, 2019.1.2 is updating between Modeler and Layout again, with no issues. No changes on my end, and as far as I know, Windows has not updated. Maybe it will only last until I reboot, but I'm happy that it's working at the moment.
    Yeah, it was working for me yesterday but today it's not.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

yea, I found that this type of crash may actually be caused by windows itself
    What in the scenario you describe makes you believe the defect is in Windows, as opposed to Modeler/Layout?

Support's been blaming firewalls for years, without providing any substantial proof that the firewalls are actually behaving incorrectly.
    Last edited by jwiede; 08-30-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

One thing I noticed, trying the config unset / config set remedy.

The unset failed, across the board.
    Last edited by Kryslin; 08-30-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

I found that hub with 2019.1.0 and 2019.1.2 is not working.
    Check out what's going on with the object list in Modeler:

CST Microwave Studio 2019.08.31 - 01.26.02.01_4.rar

Hub with 2019.0.3 is working properly.

Actually all versions are behaving the same, when Modeler is launched from Layout sometimes connections is established properly and Modeler works fine and sometimes the connection is not established and Modeler can't talk to Layout.
    So it all depends on the way Modeler starts, if it starts ok it will work great until you quit it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    What in the scenario you describe makes you believe the defect is in Windows, as opposed to Modeler/Layout?

Support's been blaming firewalls for years, without providing any substantial proof that the firewalls are actually behaving incorrectly.
    just the fact that the crashes for me happen if you don't focus on the correct app at the correct time, including any other apps (which incidentally is when some users on FB etc has said a crash can happen, eg go to email or photoshop then back then try to send modeller, also can cause freezing for some with users) it still could be the firewall/security as there have been quite a few app/folder monitoring features added, such as "Ransomeware protection, User folder protection (that one I guess could play all sorts with configs and temp files etc), App and browser control, Device security" each time widows changes or adds these features it has a habit of turning them up to full, especially after big updates (every 4 weeks or so I have to go in to my media server and turn off password protected sharing as my L.G. smart tv doesn't have a password input feature but on every major patch update windows turns it back off again!) any of these could maybe mess with the app as you change focus as that app may call on a service or input change at that point
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

We need an answer from LW3DG.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

The hub has historically been a source of frustration. It's not just a Windows thing, it's on Macs too.

just the fact that the crashes for me happen if you don't focus on the correct app at the correct time, including any other apps (which incidentally is when some users on FB etc has said a crash can happen, eg go to email or photoshop then back then try to send modeller, also can cause freezing for some with users)...
    If the crashes were happening as often in other apps while engaging in the same focus change activity, that would indicate the defect is more likely in Windows. That it's overwhelmingly Lightwave that crashes uring such focus change operations, while other apps continue functioning just fine under similar circumstances, strongly indicates the problem is in Lightwave's code.

Think about it, during all those focus shifts, the other apps are dealing with similar events/callbacks/APIs in response to focus changes just as Lightwave is doing, yet they're usually not the ones crashing, it's overwhelmingly Lightwave apps that are crashing in such situations. Were the issue in Windows, you'd expect all apps to have similar odds of crashing in such situations. When probability is striking down a particular app, and not others dealing with similar situations, that's an indication the fault lies in how the crashing program is dealing with those situations in its own code, as opposed to the fault being in common code pathways shared between apps (which would make it as likely to occur in other apps).

Couldn't really parse the rest of your post. Are you perhaps pregnant? You're missing your periods.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567