Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video files not syncing in Premiere Pro CC

Video files not syncing in Premiere Pro CC

I am using a Tricaster Mini HD-4 that I recently updated to the latest software version.

I set the Tricaster to record the main out and two camera ISO files. When I load the files into Premiere, that start out pretty much in sync, but by the time they get an hour in, they are way off. Not just milliseconds, but some more than a second.

Is there any settings that I may have wrong?

I am brand new to the Tricaster, just beginning to explore if this is the platform I want to use for streaming my church services.

Thanks for any help.

John

Hi John,

Do all the camera inputs match the Session format on TriCaster? Meaning, if for instance your TC Session is "1080i" is that what the cameras are set to output also?

Just wondering because the camera iso shots record whatever is coming into TriCaster from camera, while the main PROGRAM recording is going to match the Session settings. So maybe the MAIN recording is 1080i while a camera might be 24p or whatever? You can check in Premiere, just right-click each clip in the Project Bin and check Properties for frame size and frame rate, then match that against Sequence Settings. Ideally, you want the Sequence and all clips to match. If clips have different frame rates, that could account for audio drift.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Another question is when you play the file in Premiere, does it always start in sync and fall out as playback occurs? (Even if you start playback an hour down the timeline?)

Does it play in sync in the TriCaster DDR or using a tool like VLC Player?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Is there a method to get VLC to playback in sync from multiple files? In the past I would open 3 or 4 VLC instances and hit play on each but I couldn't start then in sync. Would be cool to have this option.

I recorded three streams on the tricaster, the first was the program out which shows that is MP4/MOV h.264 4:2:0 1920x1080 29.97 in a .mp4 file, The other two were direct iso from camera 1 and 3 and they show that they are MPEG4 4:2:2 1920x1080 29.97 in a .MOV file . My sequence is also 1920x1080 29.97, I made the sequence from the Program source file.

Do the two ISOs stay in sync the whole way? I have never tried to sync the h264 stream record with the ISO. Not sure how dropped frames and other events would be handled.

The audio that was recorded to the cam 1 iso stays in sync with itself throughout the video. However, the other two cameras start together but get more off as the video continues, and not at the same rate it appears...

As an add-on, I lined up the two iso cameras at the beginning, and they get out of sync with each over time.

Are you recording everything to the same drive?
    I though it was best to only record two sources to one drive at the same time.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    Is there a method to get VLC to playback in sync from multiple files? In the past I would open 3 or 4 VLC instances and hit play on each but I couldn't start then in sync. Would be cool to have this option.
    This will get you very close (I'd say within a frame), I use it for demos all the time to playback multiple clips with VLC Player.

https://kanelp7.wixsite.com/kanesworld/vlc-syncplay
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank you will take a look!

Honestly, at the moment I would expect a) your recorded files to be slightly different overall lengths than one another, and b) even if trimmed to the exact same starting point, to drift a bit over long periods.

Regarding a, recorders are not started and stopped in perfect sync. Point b) is more interesting though. It's next to unheard of for even identical model cameras to truly have identical clock rates. If the cameras aren't genlocked, and I assume they aren't, you're going to get a little drift over time.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Regarding a, recorders are not started and stopped in perfect sync. Point b) is more interesting though. It's next to unheard of for even identical model cameras to truly have identical clock rates. If the cameras aren't genlocked, and I assume they aren't, you're going to get a little drift over time.
    Just to clarify between your comment and Jeff's, Steve: Are you both saying that when the Tricaster recorder is set directly to an input, it is recording that input *before* the resolution and framerate matching the Tricaster performs on each input in order to make it useful to the session? So an ISO recording would come out as whatever resolution, framerate, and potentially drifty clock is supplied by the camera, regardless of the session resolution?
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

I haven't tested this, but that's always been my understanding, that ISO recordings will match the source. For instance, using a 1080p session and a camera source is 720p, the ISO recording of the camera is then 720p.

That said, I've never known video cameras to be "drifty". For decades, I have done multi-camera shoots of long events (weddings/recitals/plays) with mismatched camera models for NLE editing later, and the 2 or 3 camera source clips never drift even a frame after 2 or more hours. Audio from an audio recorder will definitely drift! But not the video. Think of it this way - TV displays do not allow for drift - they display an exact amount of frames per second, and if the source is not delivering those frames at the precise expected rate...gonna have glitching. If a camera recorded video at a non-standard rate, like 29.85 that would be a huge problem!

So, I don't know why your clips are drifting, but I doubt it's the camera source. Where I have heard of folks having issues (in an NLE) is when mixing footage of different frame rates like 24p and 30p. But if all cameras are the same frame rate that should not happen.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    I haven't tested this, but that's always been my understanding, that ISO recordings will match the source. For instance, using a 1080p session and a camera source is 720p, the ISO recording of the camera is then 720p.
    This is correct. However, it's always been my understanding that diverse sources, given an identical and sufficiently long time span, will almost always have a different frame count. As a matter of fact, a method of countering this issue is one of the highlights of NDI 4, as I understand it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast