Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeze particles

Freeze particles

Hi,

The attached screen shows a bubbles scene, generated by emitter. I want the bubbles to freeze around 100 frames to then matrix my camera and have it resume rising upward around frame 200.
    I read about Timewarp pluggin, but I'm not sure I understand it...
    Any advice much appreciated.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bubbels.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	267.8 KB 
ID:	145656  

Download DP kit Particle scan here https://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/p...D_Pointer.html

Scan your particles and create an LWO. Load said LWO, apply the mdd to it using MDD_Pointer. Edit the time using the "mapped time" envelope.

How are the bubbles / particles moving in the first place? Negative Gravity? A Wind dynamic object? Initial particle movement in the Emitter?

In the case of the Wind, you could use a high Resistance value on the particles, use an Envelope on the Wind Power to cut it to zero where you want the particles to stop, then crank it back up to get them moving again.

mTp

I have my emitter velocity set at 45%. Graph editor only affects the generator size when vel is set to 0. I'll try and see if wind can keep them static... Thanks!

I'm not sure of the specific effect you're after, but I'd use a zero initial motion on the Particles, use a Direction Wind to move them up the Y axis, and have the Particles with a non-zero Resistance. The Resistance determines how much the Wind accelerates the particles, and causes them to stop when the Wind is removed. A sample scene is attached, but I don't still have LW10 installed (as it appears you're running), so it's a LW11.6 scene file / objects.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Particles_Bubbles_MatrixBulletTime_rgb040.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	145668 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Particles_Bubbles_MatrixBulletTime_rgb080.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	145669 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Particles_Bubbles_MatrixBulletTime_rgb120.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	145670

Name:	Particles_Bubbles_MatrixBulletTime_rgb160.jpg 
Size:	293.8 KB 
ID:	145671 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Particles_Bubbles_MatrixBulletTime_rgb300.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	145672 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Particles_Bubbles_MatrixBulletTime_rgb360.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	145673

MOV file: Particles_Bubbles_MatrixBulletTime.mov

I setup the Emitter to set the Particle size randomly to size the Hypervoxels, the Resistance is 2.0, and the Birth Rate drops to zero between frames 100 and 200. The UpwardWind is a Direction mode wind, whose Power also drops to zero between frames 100 and 200.

Name:	01_ParticleBubbles_BirthRateStopsTemporariily.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	145675 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02_ParticleBubbles_Resistance&VariableSize.jpg 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	145676 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03_ParticleBubbles_DirectionWindPauses.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	145677

Because the Particle Resistance is only 2.0, once the Wind Power drops to 0.0 it takes a little while for the particles / bubbles to stop. If you want them to stop faster, set the Resistance higher and raise the Wind Power.

mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by squarewulf View Post
    Download DP kit Particle scan here https://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/p...D_Pointer.html

Scan your particles and create an LWO. Load said LWO, apply the mdd to it using MDD_Pointer. Edit the time using the "mapped time" envelope.
    Hi squarewulf. When using particlescan does it generate an .lwo of the particles to apply the mdd?
    Not sure how it works.
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

Quote Originally Posted by daforum View Post
    Hi squarewulf. When using particlescan does it generate an .lwo of the particles to apply the mdd?
    Not sure how it works.
    It has an option to create lwo Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lwmdd.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	145682
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lwmdd.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	145681  

It has an option to create lwo
    Nice, didn't know.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks for sharing your scene file. These are invaluable. I was hoping there would be a specific forum category for any threads that have scene files attached just because they are so useful.

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    Thanks for sharing your scene file. These are invaluable. I was hoping there would be a specific forum category for any threads that have scene files attached just because they are so useful.
    I always save off MonroePoteet's examples for future study even if it's not something I'm currently dabbling with.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Thanks! Quite a complement for me. Glad the sample scene files are helpful.

I like sample scene files (and I have hundreds, if not thousands of them since 1996!) since even myself sometimes go back to an old effect and wonder "How in the World did I do THAT?"

What happens is that I get into "experiment mode" where I'm trying a bunch of rapid-fire changes to get something in LW to work to my expectations and don't necessarily do a good job documenting or remembering the process. For example, dinking with the specific parameters of a Procedural, or fine-tuning an Envelope, etc.

Personally, I wish Prometheus would post his scene files, since regularly he posts some really wonderful stuff (especially the clouds, the nebulas, etc.) and although some screen shots are sometimes included I often try to reproduce the results without success. Again, I think it's background manipulation and fine-tuning which isn't documented and isn't obvious in the screen shots, but could be dug out of the scene file.

Thanks again,
    mTp
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 08-05-2019 at 07:29 AM.

I confess to forum-stalking mTp by periodically digging through his recent posts page to discover these nuggets of wisdom.

Thanks!
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post

Personally, I wish Prometheus would post his scene files, since regularly he posts some really wonderful stuff (especially the clouds, the nebulas, etc.) and although some screen shots are sometimes included I often try to reproduce the results without success. Again, I think it's background manipulation and fine-tuning which isn't documented and isn't obvious in the screen shots, but could be dug out of the scene file.

Thanks again,
    mTp
    Ya, he's a bit stingy at times

Dave Jerrard had some wonderful nebulae stuff he showed some years ago at an LALWUG meeting. Asked him about it & if he was going to divulge anything eventually & that he could easily do a book. He just replied, "Ya, I could", and that was the end of it.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Professionals keep the best tricks to themselves.

Quite understandable. No one in other industries share as much info with others as 3D artists.

I politely ask for info. But I more than understand if the person wants to keep the best tricks to himself.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

@MonroePoteet
    That's awesome, thanks a million!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast