Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PRO Render Bus just left without LW

PRO Render Bus just left without LW

Just because it doesn't seem to be happening now doesn't mean that it won't be in the future. I've gotta think this was on NT's radar when they fired their rendering developer otherwise why would you do so.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Wary Lamb Rejoining Flock Scott Gammans's Avatar
    They fired him? How do you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gammans View Post
    They fired him? How do you know this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-08-08_0154.png 
Views:	248 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	145727

I can't help being curious too, but when a company drops someone, it can be sad but is not necessarily the same thing as being fired. The gossip-monger in me would like to know the true inside story of Rob/Lino , but too much speculation on this sort of thing can't be healthy.

probably the usual office politics

Seems like those who are still in place would be capable of adding Pro Render or another to LW. Doesn't really make sense to write your own anymore. Look at Modo, Hastings has spent the last 3-4 years writing a GPU renderer, where's the return on investment on that. So in a way it was good business sense to let Mark go. Unfortunately there could have been a number of optimizations Mark could have added since the 2018 release, however we did get GPU noise reduction without him.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    ...Doesn't really make sense to write your own anymore...
    There are some constraints in any reliance on external renderers. You'd need to hope for the persistence of that renderer to remain in the market as long as you do. You'd also need to make sure all your features can be utilized by that external renderer (ie. volumetrics, instances).
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    There are some constraints in any reliance on external renderers. You'd need to hope for the persistence of that renderer to remain in the market as long as you do. You'd also need to make sure all your features can be utilized by that external renderer (ie. volumetrics, instances).
    True that. Hopefully VisRT will share some of their tech as well.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Seems like those who are still in place would be capable of adding Pro Render or another to LW. Doesn't really make sense to write your own anymore. Look at Modo, Hastings has spent the last 3-4 years writing a GPU renderer, where's the return on investment on that.
    Hastings is not just working on Modo. Foundry has other more high profile products, Modo is just benefitting as a result. I think the more important question here is where the return of investment on a CPU renderer that took 3 years to write for LW when everyone else in the industry is moving to the GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Hastings is not just working on Modo. Foundry has other more high profile products, Modo is just benefitting as a result. I think the more important question here is where the return of investment on a CPU renderer that took 3 years to write for LW when everyone else in the industry is moving to the GPU?
    Who knows whether it was a good ROI or not. It does however seem like there is more activity on the LW forums based solely on viewing numbers that we can see since the release of 2018 and now 2019. So maybe sales are up for LW. As far as CPU vs. GPU to me it doesn't really matter as long as its reasonably fast and stable. And fast is relative. In my experience LW Octane is unbelievably fast, but you pay for it in the shader complexity and all the hoops and time to set it up. I'll happily render while I'm away from my computer but when I'm at I need to get stuff done. Now if Pro Render or others was well implemented inside of LW like native - hell yes I'm all for it. I'm not a GPU hater.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

It does however seem like there is more activity on the LW forums based solely on viewing numbers that we can see since the release of 2018 and now 2019. So maybe sales are up for LW.
    You're joking, right? Forum and FB group activity are both pretty abysmal even compared to last year (let alone prior years) -- f.e. check posts/persons/day stats. The "forum viewing stats" don't appear to use any particular real-world process/methodology, nor are in any way cross-checkable, so are about as useful as RNGs stats-wise.

Also, please clarify how your assertions on forum activity directly or indirectly suggest increased sales of LW2018 or LW2019 over prior releases?
    Last edited by jwiede; 08-16-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    GPU rendering still needs ALOT of work. It wasn't that much time ago I had a chat with a guy usually using Octane with LW that had to resort to LWs native render engine because the transition time for Octane was, alone, the rendertime when using LW Native.

EDIT: The reason I remember that conversation was because it was in a chat where multiple people were talking about the AMD Threadrippers, and he whished that he had one because of this issue, and if he had one of those Threadrippers, the renderingtime would have been very close to what Octane would produce, after the lenghty transition time, which the CPUs, apparently, didn't have to process because all was accessed directly in RAM.
    Last edited by Cageman; 08-16-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    You're joking, right? Forum and FB group activity are both pretty abysmal even compared to last year (let alone prior years) -- f.e. check posts/persons/day stats. The "forum viewing stats" don't appear to use any particular real-world process/methodology, nor are in any way cross-checkable, so are about as useful as RNGs stats-wise.
    The ONLY thing I've noticed on this subject is that, everytime I end up at this forum, there seems to be about 120-150 or so "viewers" of the forum (and I mean specificly LW related forums). During the "dark age" (the time between LW2015 and 2018), I would see about 20-50 viewers.

Not sure what that means though.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    The ONLY thing I've noticed on this subject is that, everytime I end up at this forum, there seems to be about 120-150 or so "viewers" of the forum (and I mean specificly LW related forums). During the "dark age" (the time between LW2015 and 2018), I would see about 20-50 viewers.

Not sure what that means though.
    It probably means that newtek didnīt deliver anything these years..so ergo, why would any calculate the meaning of that given the context to users obviously finding little interest in there, what you will find is the result of interest in the forum during these ages.
    What One probably should compare in terms of forum activity, that is from 2012-2015 VS 2018-19.

Sales comparisons...who knows?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast