Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PRO Render Bus just left without LW

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Only for indies and hobbyists .
    "Only" is not true. Corporate and government pipelines die hard. Many are still on CS6. But I don't disagree that Blender is disrupting sales for all commercial packages. C4D and Autodesk new pricing reflects this.

Ubisoft of moving to make Blender it's main tool for developing content. https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/artic...urce-Animation.
    And I know of more companies talking about moving to Blender as well (including the one I'm working at.. but just talks as of yet. But the fact that it's even on the table..) With that comes Cycles etc..

The LW team needs to take a hard look at Blender Eevee & UE4, and ask themselves why those are popular (it's a rhetorical question.. I know the answer already) and implement something similar.
    As well as take large efforts in competing with Maya animation tools.

But at Blenders current pace, and now significant industry support.. that window is closing fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gammans View Post
    They fired him? How do you know this?
    He left over a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    Ubisoft of moving to make Blender it's main tool for developing content. https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/artic...urce-Animation.
    And I know of more companies talking about moving to Blender as well (including the one I'm working at.. but just talks as of yet. But the fact that it's even on the table..) With that comes Cycles etc..

The LW team needs to take a hard look at Blender Eevee & UE4, and ask themselves why those are popular (it's a rhetorical question.. I know the answer already) and implement something similar.
    As well as take large efforts in competing with Maya animation tools.

But at Blenders current pace, and now significant industry support.. that window is closing fast.
    Same here wrt blender. Really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    *sigh*

No... Ubisoft will not force us to use Blender. They encourage it for sure, but they will not force us to do so. We will continue to use LW, Houdini, Maya, Modo, 3DS Max etc. Also, the article is about a single studio within Ubisoft; it is the film/television department that is mentioned in the article.

Most people at Ubisoft are working with games.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

I am sure you are mistaken. I heard from a secret source that every part of Ubisoft will be forced at gunpoint to switch all production to blender and blender alone. all 3D asset creation obviously but this also includes audio, programming, bookkeeping. Blender can do everything.

It mentions right there in the article that its the animated film and tv studio is the one switching to Blender so of course that doesn't mean the entire company is. That said, its early days and Blender development pace is increasing so who knows what could happen in a year or two.
    That said, while Blender is quite an exceptional modeler and animation is strong, its FBX is lackluster due to its GPL licensing which forbids them implementing the FBX standard from Autodesk, so the engineers at Blender Foundation have kind of reverse engineered it. So if most people at Ubisoft are working on games, not having a great fbx could be a hinderance. However with Ubisoft and the grant from Epic, I could definitely see some pressure for some new game workflows in Blender.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    I am sure you are mistaken. I heard from a secret source that every part of Ubisoft will be forced at gunpoint to switch all production to blender and blender alone. all 3D asset creation obviously but this also includes audio, programming, bookkeeping. Blender can do everything.
    I told you that in confidence!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123