Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PRO Render Bus just left without LW

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    GPU rendering still needs ALOT of work. It wasn't that much time ago I had a chat with a guy usually using Octane with LW that had to resort to LWs native render engine because the transition time for Octane was, alone, the rendertime when using LW Native.

EDIT: The reason I remember that conversation was because it was in a chat where multiple people were talking about the AMD Threadrippers, and he whished that he had one because of this issue, and if he had one of those Threadrippers, the renderingtime would have been very close to what Octane would produce, after the lenghty transition time, which the CPUs, apparently, didn't have to process because all was accessed directly in RAM.
    cpu and gpu both have their intolerable trademarks, I hate waiting for cpu renderhair in fiberfx, cycles blows lw hair rendering out of the scalp.
    volumetrics in fluids..Cycles much much faster for feedback tweaking to a certain resolution, but it gives the freedom to tweak it in a decent speed, ultimately you may end up still having to use the cpu for higher resolution renders since lowering step size length in blender may cause the GPU to give up, but there is the thing..blender allows you to tweak it fast with gpu, and final render in cpu while you go for coffe break, in Lightwave you have to wait will trying to tweak..and wait while final rendering..I take the double approach anytime.

Still love the volumetric approach for clouds though, neither blender, modo, or houdini does it the same way for fast setup that can look decent...the houdini cloudfx is a different beast but has to be cooked and it doesn´t render as fast I think as VPR..which does an excellent job often for standard volumetrics at a fairly large scale and at full screen view.
    You can set up materials for clouds in a similar way and using volumetric materials and noise in blender, I looked in to that..but it takes a bit more to tweak it..and not by far as easy as Lightwave.
    And I miss all the Lightwave procedurals in other software..bet Lighwtave has one of the most jampacked procedural libraries out there...if you count in DPont nodes of course.

LW 2019 is criminally underrated for hi-rez print renders. The VPR works amazingly well with multiple viewports, way better than Max Arnold. But yes hair rendering in LW will hopefully improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    LW 2019 is criminally underrated for hi-rez print renders. The VPR works amazingly well with multiple viewports, way better than Max Arnold. But yes hair rendering in LW will hopefully improve.
    For stills work... and with the denoiser... The only package that can beat that is probably Blender, if you can get the workflow and want to get "for free"... Blender cost ALOT to develop so, please... donate if you like it!
    Last edited by Cageman; 08-16-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Lightwave 2019 serves my needs for now. LW 2019 + DB&W Extrader + ODTools + Uberpass. Perfect for print work.

Would probably switch to Affinity software for "post" Lightwave but Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop & Indesign still have a stranglehold.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez)
    Would probably switch to Affinity software for "post" Lightwave but Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop & Indesign still have a stranglehold.
    I've heard a lot of good things regarding Affinity... I do not use it myself yet, but it seems like freelancers are walking that path. And that is not a bad thing.... gettiing away from subs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez)
    I've heard a lot of good things regarding Affinity... I do not use it myself yet, but it seems like freelancers are walking that path. And that is not a bad thing.... gettiing away from subs.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    You're joking, right? Forum and FB group activity are both pretty abysmal even compared to last year (let alone prior years) -- f.e. check posts/persons/day stats. The "forum viewing stats" don't appear to use any particular real-world process/methodology, nor are in any way cross-checkable, so are about as useful as RNGs stats-wise.

Also, please clarify how your assertions on forum activity directly or indirectly suggest increased sales of LW2018 or LW2019 over prior releases?
    Hey - just noticing what appears to be an increase in traffic in the last few months. And hey with 195 countries in the world and if NT averaged 100 upgrades per country that's a pretty nice dollar figure for them.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quite a few folks considering upgrading in my circle. Many Lightwavers still using 2015...and Adobe CS6 for that matter. There is potential for a surge in sales if the right upgrade comes along. For me 2019 is an exceptional value and no brainers upgrade for $395.

Unreal rendering is getting better and better. LW team made a wise choice. I do wish they had kept Mark on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Quite a few folks considering upgrading in my circle. Many Lightwavers still using 2015...
    That's kind of the problem, many "active" customers are still on/using LW2015.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

It is a problem. Maybe a 2020 Modeler-centric upgrade will finally convince holdouts. The more people that upgrade, the more resources LW team have to improve the program.

How likely is that without a modeling centric developer?

I am guessing the next release will reveal the capabilities of the current team. Some smart folks in there almost certainly able to flex beyond their original roles.

I don't know why they would invite the community to respond to a pretty comprehensive Modeler Questionnaire if the team were not at least considering taking on Modeler. The questions show they seem well aware of Modeler's weak areas. Do they have the resources to address them? I have no idea.

Want Blender to get better? Donate. Want Lightwave to get better? Upgrade. Don't see the value in investing in Lightwave now? Fine. Maybe the next release will change hearts and minds.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    That's kind of the problem, many "active" customers are still on/using LW2015.
    Or 11.6...
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

seen quite a few noobs and a few "last one I had was 8.5s" posting on various facebook groups, so maybe all this going subscription and cutting off old perpetuals by other larger companies is causing a big ship jump,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

I don't get what the fuss about prorender is.
    I'd like lw to also jump on the gpu rendering bandwagon but prorender is not the way to go.
    It's by far the worse gpu renderer out there.
    I have played around with it in c4d and it's performance is terrible for a gpu renderer.

Why would anyone want that?
    Don't we already have enough redundant tools in lw?
    You want another socket monkey?

Prorender is barely faster than the native cpu renderer in c4d.
    Lightwave isn't missing much by not having it, even Foundry realized prorender wasn't going to cut it for modo, hence the decision to overhaul the native renderer in modo.

Prorender is a waste of resources and time.
    Last edited by Hail; 08-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    seen quite a few noobs and a few "last one I had was 8.5s" posting on various facebook groups, so maybe all this going subscription and cutting off old perpetuals by other larger companies is causing a big ship jump,
    Only for indies and hobbyists. And you'll see the biggest migration of those users to Blender.

@Hail, ProRender was being added to Modo for the sole purpose of improving the API for third party renderers to plug into Modo. It helped recent improvements to the Octane implementation.

The new path tracing renderer had nothing to do with ProRender.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 08-17-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast