Thread: NDI cameras now best way to set up Network Access

NDI cameras now best way to set up Network Access

I just received 3 Panasonic HN-130s. I have a recommended switch with POE+ and have done some tests with excellent results so far. Working at a university, IT is locked down and they are not happy about having an unmanaged switch on the network. Although I've explained NDI and pushed them toward resources. I have to come up with a plan B if my switch tests don't work they way they want to. So I have a usb 3 to network adapter. Now to my question. Would it be better to configure the usb adapter to access the outside network for streaming or use the adapter to talk to the switch and have the internal card access the outside network? Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I used a wireless router plugged it into the switch and set it up to access the switch and not the network, this allowed me to use phones with the NDI app as sources and it worked well with no issues. So I would try going the switch route.

Oh, I see that you're at UCF, I'm in Oviedo right down the block.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Same issues in the UK. IT want a nice secure network, real world usage doesn't dictate that. The last conference we streamed I asked for an unrestricted port for speakers laptops. I was told "we recommend WiFi". My reply "NDI doesn't work over WiFi we need a wired connection. We need a port", "We recommend WiFi". Total brick wall.

My end solution was to get the lectern computer logged in on the network, remove the cat5e and put it on an unmanaged Cisco switch I had acquired. This was then uplinked (spanning tree) to my own NetGear WiFi router for DHCP; no connection to the outside world. I was also able to connect my NDI cameras to the Cisco. None of the speakers could use the internet though.

That's an good idea thanks. I was actually going to also see if I can limit one port on my switch to access the outside network. I don't know if my switch has that capability. Thanks. We'll have to meet up sometime.

The problem I had with that, was that my IT folks said "Network security first, you could potentially make a bridge with that connection". Hence why we went down the route of total disconnect. A total pain!.