Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cinema 4D R21 now requires login. Now only Lightwave is left to truly own, I think..

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Do you mean .fbx export in 2.8, seems ok to me. I regularly export from LW to Blender 2.8 in FBX and everything comes through fine, textures, UV's and the nodes are correct. OK precedural stuff has to be baked but apart from that it seems fine.
    I presume this is only with the latest LW versions? I have LW9.6 and even with the FBX converter, FBX rig animations just don't go into blender at all, much to my sadness as I'd love to get my old animations over from LW.
    Too old to die young.

you could mdd it.
    Blender has a MDD importer/exporter.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

you want to know what is a problem for subscription agaisnt perpetual? simple you are hostage of software house, you and your projects.
    i did maya scene 3 years ago, and i can't legally keep old installer of maya active on newer computer, i can't have old render (mental ray), then with subscription i need to open and rebuild all render/shader/ligthing work. Do you tell you to my customer that i can't open old projects to build newer render but i need to redo and often will be different?
    all obviously with sistem emulator for old software, but on win10 i can start and use lw3.9 (yes, i had it :-DD)
    I'm lw user from 3.5 (1991), i can have ability to install (3.5 on amiga) all old version and use and render on same software (i archive annually project with software version of all tools).
    I'm c4d user from 2001 and all scenes i have the ability to open with same software, until r21.
    i used in different facility Maya, i keep scenes, but every times i try to open on newer versions i found tons of error.
    I use adobe after effects from 1996, when they switch to subscription only they assure that you can use and install from cs5 to actual, then last years, due a legal debache with Dolby (adobe won't pay fee for dolby ac3 codec), they decide to delete all and allow you to use only cc2018-2019, but... many projects developed under cc2014 under cc2019 render differently and (worst thing) render slower... i had scene on cc2014 that render in 40 minutes, on same machine under cc2019 render darker and worst dectails in only 17 HOURS!!!!
    and i stop here, i wonn't to annoying you, but subscription is good only if you work today and forget you work tomorrow, but if you work in documentary genre like me, i need to grab again old animation, and old project and restore them to update, often after 8-15 years.
    Danger! Mad Scientist at work

I'm a mad genius, a mad scientist, someone like dr. jeckill and frankestein with a bit of Bugs Bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelinfected View Post
    you want to know what is a problem for subscription agaisnt perpetual? simple you are hostage of software house, you and your projects.
    i did maya scene 3 years ago, and i can't legally keep old installer of maya active on newer computer, i can't have old render (mental ray), then with subscription i need to open and rebuild all render/shader/ligthing work. Do you tell you to my customer that i can't open old projects to build newer render but i need to redo and often will be different?
    all obviously with sistem emulator for old software, but on win10 i can start and use lw3.9 (yes, i had it :-DD)
    I'm lw user from 3.5 (1991), i can have ability to install (3.5 on amiga) all old version and use and render on same software (i archive annually project with software version of all tools).
    I'm c4d user from 2001 and all scenes i have the ability to open with same software, until r21.
    i used in different facility Maya, i keep scenes, but every times i try to open on newer versions i found tons of error.
    I use adobe after effects from 1996, when they switch to subscription only they assure that you can use and install from cs5 to actual, then last years, due a legal debache with Dolby (adobe won't pay fee for dolby ac3 codec), they decide to delete all and allow you to use only cc2018-2019, but... many projects developed under cc2014 under cc2019 render differently and (worst thing) render slower... i had scene on cc2014 that render in 40 minutes, on same machine under cc2019 render darker and worst dectails in only 17 HOURS!!!!
    and i stop here, i wonn't to annoying you, but subscription is good only if you work today and forget you work tomorrow, but if you work in documentary genre like me, i need to grab again old animation, and old project and restore them to update, often after 8-15 years.

Pix, I keep on telling people about the bad erratic render in AE, may I suggest you get Fusion Resolve Da Vinci which will take alot of Ae plug ins Too. Ae needs a massive rewrite & I was told that by Adobe devs too! Should you need a full seat of BMG DaVinci /fusion Pro I have a spare seat... P.M. me?

yes, this is a big issue for me too, most of my contracts have clauses where I have to make scenes projects, and objects available for at least 4 years, for that reason I cant use "rented" software in case a different format is asked for, ive recently been working on some from 2013,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Subscription for many is just a cost of doing business. You want to access your older files for a client, then you pass on the cost of subscription or software to them. That is true whether you are using perpetual or subscription software.
    And yes, its different if you're just a hobbyist but at the same time, hobbyists typically have jobs too so whether you're making it from the software or another means, people typically allocate a portion of their money to their own interests. I was a hobbyist for years and never failed to upgrade to the next LW version whether it was worth buying or not because I wanted to support LW development.

You want to know the problem for perpetual against subscription? Its for the software companies. People buy a perpetual version and then hold onto it for several years, skipping upgrades until they see enough reason or they've saved the money to upgrade. When they do, all the work that developers have done for all those past versions, work they were paid for, is now given to free to that customer. They get the recent version and all the improvements made before that time. And so companies end up giving users a lot of work essentially for FREE. So it means that users aren't supporting the software they claim to love using.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about subscription, hate it or love it, doesn't really make a difference. But try and at least look at it from a developers point of view. There are arguments for both as much as people like to present it as only benefitting the companies. Instead users advocate for perpetual which really heavily benefits the users and not as much the developers.

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    yes, this is a big issue for me too, most of my contracts have clauses where I have to make scenes projects, and objects available for at least 4 years, for that reason I cant use "rented" software in case a different format is asked for, ive recently been working on some from 2013,
    thanks for offer, i use Resolve from version 8, and i'm Ct of resolve and fusion from versione 12, i had three bmd cameras, with three studio license ;-D

I'm a mad genius, a mad scientist, someone like dr. jeckill and frankestein with a bit of Bugs Bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Pix, I keep on telling people about the bad erratic render in AE, may I suggest you get Fusion Resolve Da Vinci which will take alot of Ae plug ins Too. Ae needs a massive rewrite & I was told that by Adobe devs too! Should you need a full seat of BMG DaVinci /fusion Pro I have a spare seat... P.M. me?
    Oh wow. I've never heard of that before. Is that just for the full version or will that work for the free version as well in order to test?

I stopped upgrading all Adobe products after CS6 when they decided to go to their Extortionware model. Even back the, users felt like guinea pigs to some degree with each .5 upgrade. None of that changed other than now having to pay for that privilege.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Oh wow. I've never heard of that before. Is that just for the full version or will that work for the free version as well in order to test?

I stopped upgrading all Adobe products after CS6 when they decided to go to their Extortionware model. Even back the, users felt like guinea pigs to some degree with each .5 upgrade. None of that changed other than now having to pay for that privilege.
    You can download resolve free version that have Fusion tab for free, before to buy studio version. Free version is limited to 4k render output, not have some pro feature like stereo scopic editing and so on, but to test it's great.
    Fusion is far far over After effects, it's a nodal environment like Nuke, had a 3d space, 3d particles, and more in.
    Fusion many years ago was a gift with Lightwave 8 upgrade, when Newtek and Eyon did a join venture for Lightwave users. It's a great tool for compositing, and when you try it ... discover how is powerful editing video under Resolve, audio under Fairlight and i cannot talk about color correction ... it's only a Star wars color managment system (han solo a star wars story). try it and love it.

I'll add that to my to-do list. I'll be out of state for few more months so away from main system.

Although I do some comp work, I use AE more for motion graphics. Pretty heavily invested in AE tools but many are scripts so don't know how/if those would work.

Dabbled with Fusion back in the LW 5.6 days & really liked it, but couldn't justify the price.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

I have kind of stopped using after Effects and Premiere, and use Davinci Resolve and fusion, but I only use it for private stuff when needed.
    If One need to keep up to date with certain software in reference to what is required on the job market, it seems that nothing beats After effects or premiere here in sweden and what job ads are putting up
    as requirements to fulfill unfortunately, so I am not sure if I will start and invest in prescription models for that in order to keep me updated with tools they require or not.
    The job ads over here are almost exclusively After effects, premiere..followed by Photoshop, illustrator and indesign for many kind of marketing jobs or graphic illustration etc.

Edit..did a very recent search through our swedish employment service, found one ad as a photographer and film editor..a search for After effects yields 15 ads..as of today.
    Not exactly sure how the ratio is when searching long term, but I often see a lot of ads which requires the Adobe series.

Requirements..
    Very good knowledge with Adobe Creative Clouds program After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator.
    Also very good knowledge with grading, DaVinci Resolve .

Since the ad requires both premiere, after effects,and Davinci Resolve, it seems to give credit for the Grading tools in Davinci, could be more but that is what is required.

DaVinci is well-established as having one of the best (likely the best) tone grading toolsets available, and has held that title for quite a long time. Hardly surprising that it's acknowledged w.r.t. grading in industry.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

A good software program is a good software program, much like Photoshop CS6 is still incredibly useful today. There seems to be a constant push for more features and faster renders and this and that, but there is something to be said for tried and true. Just like food cooked before there was a microwave. When I think of LW, sometimes I think of the epic battle in BSG and the only reason the ship survived the Cylon attack was because it had not been upgraded and was offline. IMHO, 2020 should be a good year for LW if VIZRT keeps things on their current trajectory.

Photoshop CS6
    Photoshop CS3 here, its fine,

it is not like Adobe added fantastic features to the following PhotoShop upgrades any way.   
    as for DaVinci Resolve versus After Effects, it will take some time for the industry to adapt.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Photoshop CS3 here, its fine,
    Still only running Photoshop CS2 here, though I do keep looking at Affinity Photo and Howler as a possible upgrade or replacement.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast