Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Cinema 4D R21 now requires login. Now only Lightwave is left to truly own, I think..

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

There were a few but one of the big additions to CS6 wasn't so much with Photoshop, but with AE in that it introduced featherable, variable edged masks. Don't know if that ever got added to later CC versions of PS or not. I used to do much of my stills work in AE as it has a LOT more functionality than PS & much easier to do matting with layers.

And as erikals just pointed out, 15-20 years and minuscule improvements to basic functions & somewhat flaccid new features. Now multiply that by your monthly costs with the CC route. And I have the Production Suite, not just one app.

The AE CC versions got some nice add'l features, but most can be done by other means.

I picked up Affinity Photo primarily due to PS's issues with Open EXR's. Last week I think, I came across a vid for AP showing a very unsung tool that's native to it, but that I'd bought much earlier as a separate tool called Topaz ReMask. It's a standalone but can be used as plug-in for both Affinity and PS.

And as gdkeast alluded to, new doesn't necessarily equal better.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Adobe moved to subscriptions because Photoshop was mostly feature complete. Photoshop was their top seller and they couldn't get upgrade revenue. So they moved to CC. This was admitted in their investor relations documents at the time. Of course, another story was marketed to customers.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I moved away from Adobe a long time ago, although I do still use InDesign (for the simple reason no real alternative exists yet for me).

Photoshop's core is creaking and puffing on all sides. The many limits imposed by the old legacy code should have been lifted years ago, but unfortunately that is not the case.

I've been a very happy PhotoLine user since Adobe went rental only, and PhotoLine is the only advanced image editor which keeps up with me. It outperforms Photoshop in a number of key areas. Although I do have a license of Affinity Photo as well, I find it excruciatingly lacking in the basic workflow and features, and my use of it is limited to HDR and focus stacking.

Digital painting I do in either/both Krita and/or ClipStudio Paint EX.

Even if Adobe would provide me with Photoshop for free, I wouldn't return to it, and prefer PL for all my core image editing.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    I moved away from Adobe a long time ago, although I do still use InDesign (for the simple reason no real alternative exists yet for me).
    Over a decade ago I'd have suggested QuarkXPress over Indesign. But it's become too expensive with few improvements over the years.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

QuarkXPress
    i hope i never have to use that App again. It was 500 miles behind InDesign last time i used it.

also see, affinity publisher vs indesign
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNkJpH-2ysY
    Last edited by erikals; 10-21-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I use Adobe CC because 99% of my customers use Adobe CC and I have to keep file compatibility.

If it were just me I'd be using Affinity.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

i hope i never have to use that App again. It was 500 miles behind InDesign last time i used it.

I do not have indesign privately, but worked with indesign in my two last jobs when doing product catalogs and folders.
    Always interesting to look at free alternatives for personal use, but it kind of becomes problematic if you happen to work for or need to work for a company that most often requires just Indesign and not free alternatives.
    Tried free scribus some years ago but found it to be horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    I use Adobe CC because 99% of my customers use Adobe CC and I have to keep file compatibility.

If it were just me I'd be using Affinity.
    Yeah, indesign has such a stronghold over what most companies use, and thus that is what is required of you to have knowledge in.

Though I wouldnīt invest in a Cheaper indesign alternative, either it needs to be free for personal use, or I need to invest in a prescription on it.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Affinity Publisher has great potential, but is missing a LOT of essential features. These must be added before it can be taken seriously as a real InDesign alternative. The current version is not usable for high end publishing.

That said, The early versions 1(.5) of InDesign were problematic in this respect as well. It will take a couple of years for Publisher to grow into a mature layout app.

I do hope the Affinity devs will do a better job with Publisher than they have with Photo, though. Photo is still missing core essential things for high end printing.

The missing 1bit image support is just one in a fairly long list of missed opportunities so far. And the developers have stated they will never add proper 1bit image support in Photo, which I think is incredibly short-sighted of them.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Affinity Publisher has great potential, but is missing a LOT of essential features. These must be added before it can be taken seriously as a real InDesign alternative. The current version is not usable for high end publishing.

That said, The early versions 1(.5) of InDesign were problematic in this respect as well. It will take a couple of years for Publisher to grow into a mature layout app.

I do hope the Affinity devs will do a better job with Publisher than they have with Photo, though. Photo is still missing core essential things for high end printing.

The missing 1bit image support is just one in a fairly long list of missed opportunities so far. And the developers have stated they will never add proper 1bit image support in Photo, which I think is incredibly short-sighted of them.
    That kind of settles it then, no use waiting a lot of years ..well maybe 10 years or a bit more to retirement, better opt for keeping up to date with indesign, if I can put aside investments on that..will see.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    That kind of settles it then, no use waiting a lot of years ..well maybe 10 years or a bit more to retirement, better opt for keeping up to date with indesign, if I can put aside investments on that..will see.
    I don't work in print anymore. I only make the occasional toast to what was once a great program for publishing.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Affinity Publisher has great potential, but...
    I use CS6 so I do not need to look for any alternative to CC (CS6 is the best competition to CC). However, I still bought the 3 Affinity apps because they're too much of a value at less than $50 each (InDesign 1.5 cost $699).

For what my company publishes (catalogs/brochures/flyers), Affinity Publisher would work well. We just have no need to move to it yet because ID CS still works without any recurring cost. Affinity's lack of 1-bit image support is sad but workable for the very few instances I'd need to use it.

There's very little new ground for developers to explore with photo/draw/layout apps, which is why companies like Adobe are moving to "services" (Affinity is only joining the game because they can compete on price). Conversely, 3D is constantly evolving so there's plenty of growth (upgrade revenue) available to LightWave. It wouldn't hurt NewTek to also offer some services to generate revenue as well.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567