Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave Marketplace

Lightwave Marketplace

https://blendermarket.com

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/store

>> should lightwave not have its own marketplace and content store with prebuilt scenes models demos etc .... like above, I know theres liberty3d but
    that site layout is very dated in comparison to the above links.
    Last edited by 3dhotshot; 07-29-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Blender and Unreal Markets are Huge compared to LightWave. Blender Marketplace alone is donating usually 2 to 3 grand a month just in a tiny percentage of actual sales to the Blender Foundation for Blender development. I doubt you would get much traction with something like that.

Daz Studio has Daz marketplace, Poser has Renderosity and several others. Sounds like a good idea, although sales might be really slow.....

LightWave needs more users.

So,...  

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Yeah it does have a small user base ... also content may not have to be all paid for ... these other platforms have all that going on for them jus saying

I would buy LW stuff from an LW store.

/Edit. There are many small Poser stores. Everything starts small...

yeah, it should have the plugin db built in. with easy install and removal, like unity.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Blender and Unreal Markets are Huge compared to LightWave. Blender Marketplace alone is donating usually 2 to 3 grand a month just in a tiny percentage of actual sales to the Blender Foundation for Blender development. I doubt you would get much traction with something like that.
    The last I checked, Blender's "Cloud" service is pulling in 40K USD a month.

These marketplaces (and the apps that they support) crawled before they walked. There is merit in being critical of LW's terrible marketing but there's no reason to dismiss opportunity for LW.

A content and plugin store (offering free and paid content) is what drives community/adoption/growth. That's why every other app has one and LW does not.

Ideally, this service is best managed by the software developer (see Flay, SetupTab, etc). At least one feature request/bug report was offered on this topic in June 2018 (LWB-4021). It included an offer to help NT. The ticket remains open.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Oliver Hotz presets system would help a lot for that, as everything is self-contained in the preset.

2 rather big content stores, daz3d and renderosity, started as content stores only, without owning any software.
    (Now they own and develop their sw, to drive the content store sales further).

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    The last I checked, Blender's "Cloud" service is pulling in 40K USD a month.
    I'm not talking about the Blender cloud(and the blender fund is now pulling in over 80k a month) I'm talking about a fraction of the proceeds that come from the sale of addons and content for Blender off the Blender market. And if that small fraction is 2 or three grand, you can imagine what the Blender Market is doing in sales a month?

"Daz 3d has $34.5M in estimated revenue annually."
    Not sure if google found a fact or fiction, but content stores can generate a lot of income.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    I'm not talking about the Blender cloud(and the blender fund is now pulling in over 80k a month) I'm talking about a fraction of the proceeds that come from the sale of addons and content for Blender off the Blender market. And if that small fraction is 2 or three grand, you can imagine what the Blender Market is doing in sales a month?
    Right, I meant to address your "traction" comment and a later comment about "sales might be really slow". A LW store will inherently be several days late and many dollars short but it is still necessary to make the first step. These stores have a symbiotic relationship with the program.

If NT had a store like this, they could better track how their host software is being used and develop for that use. They can see which free and paid add-ons are most popular and what users care about. All NT appears to do now is issue a crude surveymonkey form every 10 years to guess what markets that they serve.

A LW plugin developer must maintain their own web site and do their own marketing. Blender add-on developers don't need to work that hard (self-hosting is optional). They can focus on developing.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Well the Blender Market was started by CGCookie back in 2007. Just a passionate user and some friends who made it into a business. Its not run or owned by the Blender Foundation so if LightWave users want something similar, they would have to step up and do it. Pixel Fondue which started out of the Modo community in much the same way (albeit less well known and haven't capitalized on their service)
    Newtek hasn't shown much interest in investing in or advertising LW, I wouldn't be expecting them or VizRT to start an online marketplace. You need someone like a William Vaughan or Andrew Price(Wes Burke in the case of CGCookie) to make such things happen and those people need to be supported.
    Its not coming from NT/VizRT.

Its not coming from NT
    Agree. (Based on previous years). But we know that. Been said 100+ times.

I'll unsubscribe from this thread, cause i know where this is heading.  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast