Thread: What am I missing?

What am I missing?

It's been a few years since I've needed to do an animation and I know I've run into this problem before but can't remember how to resolve it. Well I guess I have 3 Questions:

1) The reflections in my windows are flashing when rendered via NRC. It's like different computers are rendering the scene differently but I can't figure out why. All files are on a central server. All computes are Intel running windows 10 Except for a server that is running windows server 2012. I am getting no Errors but I get this weird flashing of the reflections on the windows and tail lights. Global Illumination is Turned off.

2) Possibly related - some frames render with an object missing. See the grass disappear toward the end of the clip.

3) I am just re-rendering the frames with missing objects but is there a way to tell NR to render random frames like render from 1301, 1407, and 1500?

Mp4 and Screen shots of settings in the link.

Thanks

Don

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h6cecjzr0...0zyeb1Cra?dl=0

Well I am stumped

I would really appreciate any ideas. It is definitely a problem with different computers rendering the scene differently but I have no idea why. I rendered the same 30 frames 4 different times and it was always the same computers that rendered incorrectly regardless of what frame number they were assigned. RAM, CPU, OS version don't seem to make any difference. All nodes were installed from the same LW install file. They are all on the same network - I don't know what to try next.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	145648

Frequenter
    The link seems not to work for me... But I might have seen the anim sometime earlier in another thread...
    Sounds like those computers somehow have no access rights to some data - are they all using the same user-account for accessing all necessary files for rendering?
    Are the files stored all in the same place?
    Is the used background image identical to the one used in reflections? That might give a hint if it is found by the render machines in question.

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    The link seems not to work for me... But I might have seen the anim sometime earlier in another thread...
    Sounds like those computers somehow have no access rights to some data - are they all using the same user-account for accessing all necessary files for rendering?
    Are the files stored all in the same place?
    Is the used background image identical to the one used in reflections? That might give a hint if it is found by the render machines in question.
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah all nodes are installed as a service - so all should be using the same user account and have the same permissions. all files are on the same server (RDS) I'll start looking into whether somehow the permissions could be different for these machines but I don't think its going to be that.

I did another limited region render last night only using the good machines and it turned out fine - without the flashing.

here is the dropbox links again.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h6cecjzr0...0zyeb1Cra?dl=0

My render settings have changed some from what is shown there but it made no difference.

Frequenter
    hard to tell as the compression of the video is really heavy but I am pretty sure it is that - for whatever reason - some render nodes are not using the backdrop or Environmental image for the reflection. In the cars mirror and also the doors window I believe I notice the reflection of the car itself. So the render seems technically okay to me its just an asset that the render nodes in question do not seem to have in RAM.
    Have you checked all image pathīs in the scene file? In Notepad for instance?!? Are there any oddities/inconsistancies? Like one path pointing to an absolute path that is not mapped on those machines maybe?

This is still DCJENKINS777 just signed in under a dif account. If you download the MP4 rather than play it through the Dropbox link it shouldn’t be too compressed.

That was what I am trying to do now - check the paths for the images. I wasn’t sure how to do that. I’ll try opening it in notepad - hadn’t tried that before. Thanks
    Last edited by DCJ; 07-30-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks!

I think that may be it - Opened scene file in Notpad+ and it looks like it is referencing an old w:/ path rather than the correct \\RDS\RENDER\CONTENT\IMAGES\ path for the HDR environment image..

my only question is how are any of the computers rendering correctly with that path in the scene?

I am in a meeting now but will change the path and recheck later today

Thanks for the notepad tip.

Been using LW for over 20 years and have never opened a Scene file in notepad

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	145651

Well re-rendered with that image path corrected and saw no change - still getting the flashing windows.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6ubt2gfev...0-930.mp4?dl=0

Look at the reflection of the Mirror in the window

This is a render of a different portion of the animation that shows what is happening a little better - anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

I don’t think it is a background image issue - looks more like its rendering the reflections at different angles - don’t know how to describe it better than that.

Don

Frequenter
    hmm, thatīs really odd - it appears as if the reflection on the window is also distorted. I have absolutely no idea of an explanation for that... :-\

Name:	DJC_DistortedReflection_Comparison.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	145652

Just one thing that came to mind after looking at your screengrab of the path. There are spaces in the images name -it has probably nothing to do with the oddity as it seems to find everything it needs - but I/we normally try to avoid spaces in filenames as for some odd reason some Win-systems had problems dealing with it that at times in the past...

Well, Time for a face palm. I meticulously went back over my setup and found that 4 of the 5 computers that were rendering differently had v 19.0.1 nodes installed. All the computers that rendered correctly had v 19.0.3. However one of the ones that was rendering incorrectly had 19.0.3 installed??? I Uninstalled/reinstalled 19.0.3 on all 5 and did a test render - Just 30 frames - but Zero errors. I'm doing a full render tonight and will hope for good results.

not enough Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by DCJ View Post
    Well, Time for a face palm. I meticulously went back over my setup and found that 4 of the 5 computers that were rendering differently had v 19.0.1 nodes installed. All the computers that rendered correctly had v 19.0.3. However one of the ones that was rendering incorrectly had 19.0.3 installed??? I Uninstalled/reinstalled 19.0.3 on all 5 and did a test render - Just 30 frames - but Zero errors. I'm doing a full render tonight and will hope for good results.
    That appears to have resolved the problem. A lot of head scratching and stress for nothing.

Thanks for the help.

Don

Frequenter
    :-) Glad you got it solved! :-)