Thread: NDI issues with TC1

NDI issues with TC1

TC1 has serious issues with NDI inputs through the switcher to Line.
    Link shows the issues easily.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=16e...6ESlMiJJEwAFRv

NDI streams viewed within Studio Monitor Tools 3.8 are okay but through the TC1 the problem is evident. See Time mark of 29sec.
    The TC1 has latest F/W as well as the NC1 I/O. Updated GFX driver as well as NDI Tools 3.8 on each device.
    The video made above was with current operational network. Bandwidth required is suitable, as Studio cameras are 2160 50p into NC1 with TC1 Session setup as a 1080 50p Session.
    The severe picture breakup occurs easily through the PTZ camera and disappears when NDI sources are not to Line or P/V (obviously) or Studio cameras brought in to TC1 via SDI instead.
    The NDI output of Studio cameras show evidence through the TC1 as picture output having 'dropped frames' which is evident when there is movement ie, Pan.
    Checked system with another local 1Gb switch with TC1 and NC1 connected. Problem is still evident.
    CCU setup can output Quadlink for NC1 as well as 1080 50p in SDI format.
    Need to resolve into why the NDI is failing as SDI is our fall back mode.
    Any solutions to why this is being experienced would be appreciated?

How are the NICs on the TC1 connected? Do you have both NICs connected or just one? Did you turn on multicast (Unicast would be the default)?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for the info, I was waiting to here back from the people that look after the networks at the University where the equipment is located.
    Changes to their switch to operate in Multicast has now been done.
    A quick check of TC1 output shows the issue still on some older created Session Templates (10 months ago) almost instantaneously -? Not so on others done recently.
    The TC1 only has 1 NIC connection as is with the NC1's? Is this enough or should the other NIC be connected as well from the University 1GB switch.
    As mentioned should older created Sessions show this problem, I assumed if Multicast was now operational, it would have fixed the problem all together on signal flow to TC1?
    Last edited by Muzzman; 08-01-2019 at 03:43 AM.

I'd start troubleshooting with all of the NDI equipment set to unicast transmission. Multicast adds another layer than can make is more difficult to troubleshoot. Once you have things working in unicast, you can turn on multicast if is required for this configuration.

The TC1 and NC1 both have two NICs. While you can get operation with a single NIC connected, if the second isn't being used for another purpose connect it as well. NDI will automatically take advantage of the second port to double the bandwidth. When working in 4K/UHD, having both NICs connected is highly recommended. You don't need to turn on 802.3ad, just connect both NIC and they will each get an IP., NDI will automatically see that and use them.

As for the sessions, it possible they could have gotten corrupted, but I'm not aware of any issues using earlier (older) TC1 session with current TC1 software. However, if that appears to be fixing the issue then I would create new sessions.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Problem still exists even under New Session created. Fortunately having SDI as local input allows for operational use.
    NDI setup is obviously difficult to get signal workflow until a fix is found.
    Connecting the 2nd NIC will be tried at some stage, when I can arrange it with the University.
    Last edited by Muzzman; 08-01-2019 at 10:21 PM.

The 2nd NIC are now connected on TC1 and both NC1's.
    Problem still evident. Multicast setup as suggested across the Switch for the Units and still no clear solution?
    New Sessions or Old still show the problem.
    Stumped....

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    Please open up a support case withour team https://www.newtek.com/support/get-support/.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call