Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GPU in Lightwave question

The latest Win10 looks nice.

I still like Win7 tho'  :P
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Win10 is a piece of **** - one of the many reasons is that you have no control over it.

In any event, there's a good chance I'll replace the GTX 2080 with one of the new AMD cards anyway - I had forgotten how rotten image / video quality is on NVidia cards compared to AMD. Still have 47 days left of the open-purchase period...
    - Ignorance is bliss...

well yeah, the forced updates suck.   

and more on Win10 issues > https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=win10+sucks
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

The latest 1903 update includes update delays and scheduling for up to 5 weeks. MS is also switching back to one annual big update and one small update every 6 months. So things are improving...

The studio driver brings 30bit color support to OpenGL, if that is one of quality problems you noticed.

I hook up the PC to a plasma TV for movies and series, and picture quality is just worse, as it as always been with NVidia over Radeon cards, even after doing all the tweaks one has to do in the NVidia settings to make it acceptable.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

"Rotten" image? Please explain, share a link, a video or something. Perhaps I'm missing out on something.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post
    "Rotten" image? Please explain, share a link, a video or something. Perhaps I'm missing out on something.
    ...just means there's a general better picture quality on AMD cards than NVidia, still. Easily noticeable on 2D and videos. I thought maybe it was just a thing of the past, but I noticed it immediately when replacing the R9 290 with the GTX 2080. Colour balance is off, contrasts not as good. And yes, I know of all the tweaks one has to do in the NVidia drivers to get things looking ok.

The GTX is insanely fast on games, but I recon I'll replace it with one of the 3rd party RX 5700 that are arriving ere long. I got the expensive GTX card in hope of it would improve Modeler performance, but it did nothing at all in that respect.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Ever try to get one to talk to a Win7 system?
    Never had a reason to.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    The latest Win10 looks nice.

I still like Win7 tho'  :P
    I was just thinking about the new release and how horrible the start menu looks. Hopefully we have an option to keep the live tiles at least.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

If video quality is important, then there is HDR support in recent Win 10 and newer drivers with for example Netflix and PowerDVD. Not available in older Windows.
    How about trying win10 1903 for 90 days for free on a separate partition? Just to make sure that you don't regret the switch from the green team to the red.
    https://www.pcmag.com/article/345799...ee-for-90-days

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    ...just means there's a general better picture quality on AMD cards than NVidia, still. Easily noticeable on 2D and videos. I thought maybe it was just a thing of the past, but I noticed it immediately when replacing the R9 290 with the GTX 2080. Colour balance is off, contrasts not as good. And yes, I know of all the tweaks one has to do in the NVidia drivers to get things looking ok.

The GTX is insanely fast on games, but I recon I'll replace it with one of the 3rd party RX 5700 that are arriving ere long. I got the expensive GTX card in hope of it would improve Modeler performance, but it did nothing at all in that respect.

Well...unfortunately you should have read up on wether or not modeler take advantages of GTX card or not before you bought it, I also bought one, the GTX 1080, fully aware of that it wouldnt..but also aware of itīs benefit with other things like simulations, or using other software that uses the GPU.

Sounds like you need a new TV or a pair of glasses at the very least.

...just means there's a general better picture quality on AMD cards than NVidia, still. Easily noticeable on 2D and videos. (...)
    Colour balance is off, contrasts not as good. And yes, I know of all the tweaks one has to do in the NVidia drivers to get things looking ok.
    I'm puzzled.. You mean to say that the GPU is the source of bad colors and contrast? Regardless, if color is such a big and pressing issue, and you're serious about color, you should and must calibrate your monitor. And I don't mean with a standard color bar with pluge, blue only, squinting eyes.. Get a decent piece of hardware and accompany with at least DisplayCal (which is free).

Forgive me, I find it hard to believe you can see the difference between AMD and Geforce. On the other hand, I only know so much; I've only used nvidia gpu's for 20 years.

Do you know if there's any articles or videos describing what you find in quality between the two? (I'm interested, would definitely consider AMD for a second workstation if it's a thing)
    Last edited by OlaHaldor; 08-02-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Here is a good article about how both Nvidia and AMD drivers screw up the simple color settings for HDTVs. It has been an issue forever. Once these basics are covered, more advanced calibration helps.
    https://pcmonitors.info/articles/cor...-and-amd-gpus/

I am not familiar with the current differences with the AMD and NVidia cards. So, the information I offer is probably outdated.

NVidia, for almost 15 years now, has made a clear delineation between their professional cards (the Quadro) and their consumer end cards. They have in the past specifically crippled aspects of consumer cards to prevent them from being used in professional (usually CAD) systems. Back in the day, there were a number of people hacking the consumer cards to get the higher end OpenGL performance.

Now, there are specific design differences between the cards. Wire/mesh modeling requirements are different from GPU game engine playback.

What I'm getting at is, if want a gaming card, buy a gaming card. And they may work well with the GPU rendering of Layout (if you have that ability). But don't buy a gaming card and expect it to enhance your modeler experience. And, don't buy a card to enhance your modeling and expect to game on it.

Apples and oranges.

Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast