Thread: SSD Drive for LW

SSD Drive for LW

I was wondering if using an SSD drive would help with Lightwave's performance and render times? I hear these things are supposed to help dramatcially increase machine performance. My machine currently has 32GB RAM and is an i7 with a decent graphics card (can't remember which one off the top of my head) so my system is not exactly slow but as I've just been given a Samsung 1TB V-NAND SSD 860 EVO SSD drive I wondered if it was worth the hassle of cloning my existing HDD and installing the SSD? If not I'll use it on another machine which is used for general PC use.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

yeah its worth it. Samsung evo's are great. It's not gonna help render times but it will speed up overall system performance.
    It will help significantly with video editing. I've cloned two systems to evo's and it makes a big difference. would never use HDD now.

Probably has a great deal of impact when writing cache from bullet simulations, or VDB gas solver, TFD etc...and setting save path to a SSD, if using cpu for simulation mostly, GPU will probably be much faster though, up to a certain memory amount, where the CPU kicks in.

While you won't notice any direct performance boost while using your applications, anything that involves reading or writing to your hard drive will be noticeably faster. The only thing people should be using the old platter-type disk drives for nowadays is for bulk data storage, preferably not your main partition.

As a related note, be aware that a lot of the viewport performance in Lightwave is determined by the single-core speed of your CPU as many functions in many programs only ever utilize one core at at time.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 07-26-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Yes, seems to be what others say,

https://www.google.no/search?&q=ssd+...drive+for+maya
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Great, thanks for the advice. I do have TFD so it will interesting to see if the SSD improves performance on that front.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

Quote Originally Posted by adrian View Post
    Great, thanks for the advice. I do have TFD so it will interesting to see if the SSD improves performance on that front.
    And GPU cuda cards effects it also.

Loading anything will be 5x faster.
    Windows boot, LW startup, scene loading...

Totally worth the hassle.
    You will also have a full backup on your old HDD.

Wary Lamb Rejoining Flock Scott Gammans's Avatar
    Replacing your spinning platters with an SSD is a no-brainer and one of the easiest performance boosts you can give your PC (well, besides having to clone your HDD).

One other suggestion: Look into buying a couple of Samsung T5 portable SSDs somewhere down the line for backup storage. I have two of the 2 TB models and rotate them on a regular backup schedule. The things are ridiculously tiny, nearly indestructible, and amazingly fast, especially if your PC motherboard is of recent enough vintage to sport a USB-C 3.0 connector.

But yeah, for your original question, pop that badboy 860 EVO into your computer, stat!