Thread: complete cast shadows as a render buffer?

complete cast shadows as a render buffer?

I do a lot of product renders for print and render out the shadow buffer to create a separate shadow layer in photoshop when supplying final layered files. If I want the full shadow without the product's silhouette cut out of it, I can set up an extra render with the product object "unseen by camera."

I was messing around today and trying to come up with a way to set this up as a custom render buffer on the "floor" material, so that extra renders wouldn't be necessary. I have not figured it out yet. Maybe there's another trick I'm not aware of. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

"Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

No. I want the complete shadow behind the object. Imagine rendering the shadow pass with the car set to unseen by camera. How do I render that as a render buffer, without setting up a second render?

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cwarden View Post
    No. I want the complete shadow behind the object. Imagine rendering the shadow pass with the car set to unseen by camera. How do I render that as a render buffer, without setting up a second render?
    You don't. Those shadows don't actually exist in the renderer - until the area that receives the shadow is actually visible.

Cheers,
    Mike

And Mike would certainly know, but perhaps there's some combo of Surface or Object ID buffers you can massage to get that.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

My solution was just to have a second frame where the product is dissolved 100% and a product copy set to unseen by camera casts a full shadow. Since unseen by camera is not keyframe-able, this seems like the only way.
    I was sure there would have been a way with custom buffers though.