Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Vertex Normal Maps

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Irving, Tx.
    Posts
    570

    Vertex Normal Maps

    Does anyone know how to delete a vertex normal map from an .obj AND have LW take over smoothing? I can delete a map but can't think of a way to have LW control the smoothing without cutting geometry and pasting it back in. Pretty tedious that way...
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

    I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Irving, Tx.
    Posts
    570
    Got it... Assign smoothing groups to all geometry then unassign. Releases geometry from previous smoothing attachments.
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

    I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Irving, Tx.
    Posts
    570
    Or just select all geometry and hit unassign in smoothing groups... Duh...
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

    I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

  4. #4
    I wish your brain had come with a manual! You can also just select "None" in the Surface Editor Vertex Normal Map selection pop-up.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 07-24-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

    http://www.sauder.com

  5. #5
    TrueArt Support
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    7,897
    You can get rid of any, including internal, vertex map using my tool Delete Vertex Maps:

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Irving, Tx.
    Posts
    570
    When an obj file comes with a vertex normal map selecting none in the surface editor ignores the map but lightwave's smoothing won't take over either. The only way to disengage the map and let LW take over smoothing was to unassign the surface in the smoothing groups editor... at least that's what I am encountering.
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

    I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hebert View Post
    When an obj file comes with a vertex normal map selecting none in the surface editor ignores the map but lightwave's smoothing won't take over either. The only way to disengage the map and let LW take over smoothing was to unassign the surface in the smoothing groups editor... at least that's what I am encountering.
    Interesting - however that has not been my experience. Even before LW had smoothing group controls I don't recall needing to do anything other than changing that field to "none". I'll keep an eye on it as I have been downloading a number of assets lately.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

    http://www.sauder.com

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Irving, Tx.
    Posts
    570
    I'm on a Mac, know of any issues in that regard?
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

    I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

  9. #9
    Curmudgeon in Training Ma3rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Near Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Interesting - however that has not been my experience. Even before LW had smoothing group controls I don't recall needing to do anything other than changing that field to "none". I'll keep an eye on it as I have been downloading a number of assets lately.
    Interesting, interesting.

    From an unrelated question I had for Oliver Hotz a couple weeks ago, I checked my OBJ options & found somewhere along the line things had changed. Oh I remenber; I mentioned that every surface of the objects I was importing getting its own unique UV name. As such I couldn't just copy & paste surfaces en masse. A real pain. Anyway, these are the settings I currently use and have minimal issues now:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OBJSets.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	145621

    But as for the rest, my routine whether OBJ or FBX import is to Select all surfaces in the Surf Editor, then change Vertex Normal map to None as mentioned, change the Shading Model so Glossy Reflections are OFF & Reflection Options to Raytrace Only. I've no idea how to globally change those to the defaults in Lightwave in general so if anyone knows, shout out please. These are the basic settings RH uses if I've followed his tuts corretly, but they seem to take care of most situations. There are of course surfaces that you due what those attributes, but I find it easier to spot them & enable on a case by case.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Irving, Tx.
    Posts
    570
    There may be another factor in play... In this version 2019.0.3 the windows tend to "stick" when going from one window to another. I have several up on one display and bounce between them to create. Never had any problems having multiple windows open before but in this version when I try to enter data in another window, the previous window is still active or is not 'releasing'. This could be happening when selecting 'none' for the vertex normal map. The map is no longer selected but that sticking issue could be keeping LW smoothing from activating. Just a thought. Tried to upgrade to the latest version but for some reason my computer wouldn't install it. That's for another day anyway.
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

    I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

  11. #11
    TrueArt Support
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hebert View Post
    There may be another factor in play... In this version 2019.0.3 the windows tend to "stick" when going from one window to another. I have several up on one display and bounce between them to create. Never had any problems having multiple windows open before but in this version when I try to enter data in another window, the previous window is still active or is not 'releasing'. This could be happening when selecting 'none' for the vertex normal map. The map is no longer selected but that sticking issue could be keeping LW smoothing from activating. Just a thought. Tried to upgrade to the latest version but for some reason my computer wouldn't install it. That's for another day anyway.
    Are you talking about Vertex Maps window, or the all windows?
    If there is really huge number of vmaps in object, and in routine of deactivation of window, there is e.g. refresh of vmaps list view (in e.g. ghosted state or so), but it takes a long time to finish, you could have such impression that window does not want to deactivate and activate other window (visible as delay). Just a thought.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Irving, Tx.
    Posts
    570
    All windows. Most apparent when adjusting the gamma on an .hdr file in the Image Editor but the gamma change is not updated in the background palette until you click on the palette to make it the new active window or sometimes I even have to deactivate and reactivate the hdr in the Backdrop tab to get the lighting info. to update. Just presumed this was one of the many fixes in the latest release. Just not able to verify that yet. The 'sticking' issue is across all palettes to varying degrees.

    - - - Updated - - -

    So far, objects have had only 1 vertex map listed in the vmap dropdown.
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

    I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •