Thread: Can I backup LiveText files for upgrade from TC-460 to Advanced Edition ?

Can I backup LiveText files for upgrade from TC-460 to Advanced Edition ?

Hi,

We are upgrading our TriCaster TC-460 to the Advanced Edition soon. In order to avoid having to recreate all of our LiveText graphics for the new new system, I am wondering if there is a way to backup and restore the LiveText graphics in their editable form from the old version to the new version of LiveText? I'm not even clear on what the file extensions are for the files associated with each session that contain all the editable lower thirds, credits etc.

All of our (video) clips are backed up. The LiveText files are the issue here.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.

You shouldn't have to do anything with the titles, should work the same - I've never had any issue going between various software versions, SE to AE and such.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Thanks for the info.

So you're saying that if I create a backup for each session in the older version, I should be able to import or restore it into the new version?

Your SE Sessions may or may not work in AE, not sure. No need to make Session backups as updating the system - even doing a RESTORE - will never erase Sessions or Media. For best results though, I would make NEW Sessions in AE for any work you want to do and not re-use old ones (if they even open). Remember that you can save certain PRESETS out of a Session, for instance saving a list on contents from a Media Player from a MEM slot so those assets can be easily imported into a New Session later. Or saving the Audio Mixer layout the same way. Of course, SAVE the PRESETS before you update!

TITLES - create a NEW FOLDER on your hard drive. Go into LiveText and make a quick lower third, just a bar and some text over it. SAVE AS using .cgxml option. Now go to your folder and see what is there - should have "mytitle.cgxml" along with a file folder named "mytitle". Any title created in SE is still going to work in AE. You can OPEN the .cgxml file using Notepad, and you will see that it calls upon the graphics saved in the "mytitle folder". So in the event that you did want to "back up" or move any titles, the above let's you know the format and components/pieces involved.

If not familiar with saving DDR or GFX bin contents - move mouse to far left of DDR1 or GFX1 and see will see the MEM slot pop-outs. Assuming your currently select MEM is 1, right-click and EXPORT. This will save a link to the clips in that bin. In another Session, right-click any MEM slot and IMPORT that preset. All the clips/images/titles come right back! Note that exporting does NOT copy the media, it is only a pointer, so media must not be deleted or moved on hard drive or you break that linkage. Also note that DEFAULT save location for Presets might be C: drive, perhaps better to use another drive/folder since a RESTORE wipes the C: drive and you'd lose those presets (but not original media).

Speaking of RESTORE - if upgrading from SE to AE, I would recommend doing a RESTORE first, so starting with a nice clean error-free system. But remember that any CUSTOM WIPES or CUSTOM VIRTUAL SETS, any USER stuff needs to be backed up to another drive first since C: does get wiped. Will likely need an nVidia GPU driver update as well when upgrading Newtek software, can be downloaded at https://www.geforce.com/drivers and look what graphics card you have first and make sure to download for correct OS, likely Windows 7 64-bit for most users (TC1, 410 Plus, and some latest Minis have Windows 10)

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Thank you.