Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LW2019 .1 to .3, "New folder" button crashes Layout, am I alone?

LW2019 .1 to .3, "New folder" button crashes Layout, am I alone?

As the title says, LW2019 version .1 to .3... If I click the "New folder" button (when you click save, and the dialog box appears ...windows shell) it crashes Layout (but not modeler). Is this unique to me? I've searched and not found any similar complaint.

LW 2015 works fine, but 2019, crashes. It's very frustrating, as the only time you generally make new folders is when saving something. Thus, I keep losing work by clicking it while saving, then remembering moments later with a hail of swearing as Lw goes to desktop and a good deal of time is lost in the void.

I had to vent somewhere as my missus has had to leave the room, so grand was my frustration. Deeeep breath.

So does anyone else have this issue? Windows 10 Pro Version 1803/OS build 17134.885 (If that means anything to anyone anywhere). I didn't want to submit it as a bug, unless it is something firmly with Lightwave. It seems strange no one else has mentioned it. Cheers.

Edit : Hmmm, it also happens if I right click too.
    Last edited by Kaptive; 07-22-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Is not happening to me...
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

chrome does this as well, wonder if an os thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptive View Post
    As the title says, LW2019 version .1 to .3...
    Are you sure about these versions? .3 does not exist. Current versions are 2019.0.1, 2019.0.2, 2019.0.3 and 2019.1. If you are referring to .0.1 thru .0.3 you should download .1, there are a ton of fixes in it.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Are you sure about these versions? .3 does not exist. Current versions are 2019.0.1, 2019.0.2, 2019.0.3 and 2019.1. If you are referring to .0.1 thru .0.3 you should download .1, there are a ton of fixes in it.
    You know what... you get a medal. Yep, totally messed up. I actually already have .1 release installed but after a strange turn of events I now recall me installing new versions at a late stage (that being the .0.3 release) THEN literally minutes later finding out Newtek have released .1!
    I think I installed it and went to bed then just forgot the whole thing.

The good news....... .1 has it working fine Case closed.

Well spotted Tim, and sorry for the dumbness... I think I had it in my head that the .0.3 release must be the new one because that was the shortcuts I'd laced on my taskbar. Simple mistakes. Thank you also for the other replies.

Have a good week y'all!

Ignore this, (said it was still happening in .1) ....think I solved it. Not LWs fault. Cheers for the help.
    Last edited by Kaptive; 07-23-2019 at 05:35 AM.

Hmmm, right, I'm yo-yoing again. It is still happening, and does seem LW specific. I can't get anything else to crash in this way.
    It doesn't happen straight away though. You have to right click a few times in the save/load window, or click the new folder button.... it seems more like you have to wait for about a minute of Lightwave being open before I can trigger it.
    Seems associated with the right-click context menu in some way...

In fact, it seems to be getting worse???? Once LW crashes, it stays alive in task manager, but after ending task on both hub and layout, I can no longer open layout.... and just as I type this, Layout pops up (about 2-3 minute wait) in discovery mode!

What on Earth is going on with this. Feel like I'm going mad.
    Last edited by Kaptive; 07-23-2019 at 06:13 AM.

I feel for ya! I have not run into this but I'm not making any new folders from with LW either. I'll keep an eye on it though.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Well, I'm thankful it isn't anything directly LW pipeline essential. I mean 2019.1 seems solid, so no complaints there (only commendations), but this is a weird bug that just gets in the way of normal win system operations. I'm just being far more cautious with anything file related and doing it outside LW when required. Hopefully something will turn up, or fix itself. It could so easily be a windows thing.
    Again, thanks for your input.

Run Lightwave as administrator?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ritchie View Post
    Run Lightwave as administrator?
    Not a reasonable solution, because it just opens up a long list of other problems (admin can't access user's mounts, for example).

There's absolutely no acceptable / excusable reason for UI actions crashing an app, period. Having it happen during filesystem mgmt. is yet worse, because that maximizes potential for global resource damage/corruption.
    Last edited by jwiede; 07-23-2019 at 07:16 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Damn, Mr Wiede, you made it sound far worse than I ever could haha. But, I suppose you're right. I'll submit it as a bug to the team, as I've not seen this in an other application so far.
    I'm no programmer so it can be hard to tell where the buck lies.

Out of interest, why would running LW as administrator have any chance of fixing this problem? Is it more of a "try it and see if it works" type idea, or is there more to it?

I.T. as a practice isn't something I invest too much time in these days. It used to matter, but things have got much easier over the years when it comes to PCs/windows etc.

So as well as having this strange interface problem, I also started having problems with LW2015 and the hub (old project). I found the following that fixed my hub issue immediately. I thought I'd try it on my 2019 problem... because why not...

Works so far, I think... maybe! I'll repost the simple fix below.

Make sure nothing is running. No layout, modeler, or hub.

Delete configs:
    Go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\.NewTek\LightWave\LIGHTWAVE_ VERSION

and delete all files except the license folder.

Then, launch Layout - then Modeler. Allowing the hub to launch, but launch each application directly. Then try to see if they will sync.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    2019.1 fixed the broken undo in ikbooster, it fixed rotational halting when using icon orbit, zoom and pan, But Sadly... to me it introduced random crashes to such degree I have never experienced before with Lightwave, I had to re-install 2019.0.3 in order to work with it properly and actually avoid the new release as much I can till a new fix is out, I need to at least file bugreport on this issue below.
    I will have to do a new install of 2019.1 and reboot immediately and see if something might have gone wrong when installing etc.

The new release also screwed up the particle velocity recognition when trying to drive the gas solvers force grid with a particle velocity, this is at least confirmed by one other user..the scenefile is on this thread..post 87
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...able-Now/page7

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Not a reasonable solution, because it just opens up a long list of other problems (admin can't access user's mounts, for example).

There's absolutely no acceptable / excusable reason for UI actions crashing an app, period. Having it happen during filesystem mgmt. is yet worse, because that maximizes potential for global resource damage/corruption.
    Clicking to close node editor or other window modules that has been miminized caused a lot of crashing for me (2019.1) 15 crashes within a couple of hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast