Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Millennuim Falcon _ 3D model the Movie Prop Replica

Millennuim Falcon _ 3D model the Movie Prop Replica

hello

i spent 2 years collecting the millennium falcon movie prop replica, in weekly installments. the scale is length 80cm (32inch) , width 60cm (23inch) , height 19cm (7inch).
    one pic is me happy about finally getting all the issues, and setting them out in the lounge.

what i decided to do for fun (i hope), is to model all the pieces in 3D. this will take time, as there are soooo many pieces.... thought i will share this journey with you.
    the other pics are of the cockpit interior.

the advantage i have is i can hold and measure the pieces, using a digital caliper, and also using my printer with the scanner/photocopier built in so i can scan them, then trace them in modeler.
    * the 3D model i am making is as accurate as i can, to the prop model (not the life size set models). so the interior details don't have individual coloured lights etc, but it does have a good amount of detail.

i will post more whenever i make sets, and i need you to keep me motivated if i don't post in a while. it's a big project, but i want to see this through **looks to heaven with hope**.
    so far i am enjoying this project, and i am also thinking of making an animation of the parts assembling together in the correct build guide order.
    also, i am very happy to share this model with the community.

enjoy stevmjon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Millenium Falcon_sets_Cockpit_01.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	458.0 KB 
ID:	145529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Millenium Falcon_sets_Cockpit 2_01.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	584.1 KB 
ID:	145530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180208_130500.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	145531  
    Windows 10 , i7 Quad Core 3.5Ghz , GTX 970 4Gig graphics , 16 Gig RAM.

the next set i have made is the main hold interior.

i am happy with the detail, and have matched the colours as best i can, keeping on default global illumination.
    i am using principled BSDF for the plastic surfaces, and using conductor for metal. i have always used the old surface settings, but it's time i moved on to the new surfaces and nodes.
    so far i have enjoyed learning these, and see how easy and powerful they are.

to get rid of noise in shadows, do i need to just increase the 'anti-aliasing' maximum samples setting in the camera properties?
    older lightwave used to have the shading & lighting value you could increase for this... can't see them in 2019 version.

enjoy stevmjon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Millenium Falcon_sets_Interior Main 2_02.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	944.5 KB 
ID:	145532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Millenium Falcon_sets_Interior Main_03.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	965.3 KB 
ID:	145533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Millenium Falcon_sets_Interior Main 3_01.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	472.0 KB 
ID:	145534

the next set is some of the hull. they are the pilot exterior with passageway, and some hull pieces that go on top and underneath.

it was a challenge to do these, as the straighter pieces are all slightly different where the grooves are etc. so it was copy/paste and a lot of tweaking involved.
    there are a lot of 'greeblies' too. these are the added on detail pieces. i can appreciate the level of detail the movie designers went through.

enjoy stevmjon

Name:	Millenium Falcon_sets_Hull 3_01.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	433.9 KB 
ID:	145538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Millenium Falcon_sets_Hull 2_02.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	492.9 KB 
ID:	145537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Millenium Falcon_sets_Hull_01.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	513.1 KB 
ID:	145539  

Wow thats some work you have assigned yourself. Good luck and look forward to the updates.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

When your done.......are you going to build the physical model also.....
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

johnmarchant
    i am looking forward to modelling more of this also. the more you do, the more motivated you get. i will post whenever i finish sets of parts.

markc
    i have built part of the physical model already. i have assembled the whole lower metal inner support frame. i needed to do this so i could measure the arc of the top/bottom hull.
    this way i can make a half circle with the correct slope, then slice in the details of the grooves etc, then cut out the individual hull pieces.
    it's lucky i got a poster sized blueprint of the upper hull & interior. i scanned this and stiched it together. i can trace out the grooves & details. for the bottom, i will need to scan in the individual hull parts, then stich these together. well, that's my plan for the bottom...

Are you going to try and match model parts for those used in the various films. I assume this is based on the 32" from ESB.

Not sure if you have seen these refs.

https://sites.google.com/site/millenniumfalconnotes/

http://millenniumfalcona.blogspot.com/
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

One of the finest physical replicas of the Falcon is the one just finished by my friend Sean Sides. It is based off the original 5' model from Episode 4, and just returned from being used as a stand in last month for the original model at the Academy Arts and Sciences presentation on ILM's original effects vs the new CGI techniques.

I was fortunate to have a very early sneak peek with my friend Dan Durda, and I made a video that night as Sean shows it off to Dan and explains how he built it. Many good reference shots for you in my video, along with hints on the various model kit parts used...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=GpzW3t2wzXM

Here's the Prop Forum page with the details of the event, and many pictures of Sean, his Falcon and the original ILM crew...

https://www.therpf.com/forums/thread...282530/page-21

I hope this helps in your work and research!

thanks for the links guys. i hadn't seen these before. very good references.
    sean sides made a beaut model too. lots of work went into that.

i am going to 3D model all the parts based off the physical model i bought, from company DeAgostini. the designer of the kit model had researched all the movies to get the most complete details. he even noticed missing parts from the original prop model too (parts falling off from being handled over time). i watched a video of the kit designer a few years ago, but can't seem to find it again. it took him 18 months to research and make the kit. it has partial interior, and full exterior.

i am currently 3D modelling the remainder of the interior corridors that lead off the main hold (see post #2).
    i am getting a little carried away in the detail though. i am including connection grooves where parts join together and screw holes etc into the model. it's adding time, but it looks better.

thanks for the replies (keeps me motivated), stevmjon

I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Some things worth remembering though, none of the falcons are the same. DeAgsostini's is based on the 32" studio model in ESB (EPV), its different to the 5 Foot version and totally different to the actual build models especially in ANH (EPIV).

There are even some inaccuracies on the DeAgostini model, which is why the likes of shapeways are building replacement parts for it, or updated parts. The interior and exterior are also different not least of all they dont fit really. There are no landing lights on the ESB 32" model, but there are on the DeAgostini model.

They basically tried to reproduce the model as screen accurate as possible but a combination of the two from ESB. This is probably as definitive as you are going to get for the MF from the original movies.

Take a look at Grabcad, someone has actually put up some modeles of the various bits used from the model kits, like sealab and also someone put up a very good cockpit model and accurate seats based off of the original seats used.

Got to love Seans model, its fantastic.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

According to Sean, the Bandai "Perfect Scale 1/72" Falcon is the most accurate "kit" from anyone, based off the 5' Falcon. I've examined the parts, it has detail inside detail...

Regards

Yes and its probably true for one based off of the 5 Foot model from ESB. DeAgostini is based off of the 32" model in ESB, but contains elements of the 5 foot model as well, not least of all landing lights, which i think were not on the original 32" model, so DeAgostini is a mixture of the two really. Anyway only people like us saddo's would probably know such things.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

howdy

this update finishes off the interior, by completing the corridors that lead out from the main hold interior room.

next will be the lower frame & lower hull including the ramp. a bit more exciting now.

Name:	Millenium Falcon_sets_Corridors 2_02.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	505.2 KB 
ID:	145772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Millenium Falcon_sets_Corridors 2_03.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	707.3 KB 
ID:	145773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Millenium Falcon_sets_Corridors 2_04.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	590.6 KB 
ID:	145774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Millenium Falcon_sets_Corridors 2_05.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	661.0 KB 
ID:	145775  

Looking good mate, i take it this is going to be a somewhat clean version so to speak.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Wow, what a cool project to set yourself... and going great guns so far
    Keep it up, and cannot wait to see the final thing assembled and rendered
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation