Thread: Did these Lightwave books ever exist in print ?

Did these Lightwave books ever exist in print ?

Just curious, did these Lightwave books ever actually exist, or were they terminated before going to print ?

Mastering Lightwave Modeler by Bill Fleming
    LightWave 3D 8 Lscript for Artists by Emanuele Salvucci
    LightWave Modeling - A Definitive Guide by Steve Warner (third picture on the left)

Any other "mythological" LW books ?

i don't remember seeing any of those. other bill flemming ones are good and were in print.

The Bill Fleming book has an ISBN number, but I looked it up on ISBN search and there were no results. Perhaps it was ready to publish, but for some reason just never got published?

The Steve Warner book actually shows up in ISBN search, but it doesn't appear that any retailers have it, new or used.

The Emanuele Salvucci book also shows up in ISBN search, but similarly doesn't appear to be available, new or used.

So I'm guessing two of the books actually existed, but one (the Bill Fleming book) may have been prepared right up to its publishing run, and then for whatever reason wasn't published.

Just guesses based on the ISBN data, though.

not so sure, i don't think they ever were released.
    (zero reviews and zero comments on those books)

old LightWave books can still be of use though, like "1001 tips" and the "jonny gorden" ones
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I have quite a few LW books but none of those. For me, one of the things that sets LW apart is its legacy of excellent training books, many of which are still relevant, especially with regard to modeler. The 1001 Tips and Tricks is a treasure chest of 3D wisdom, and you can buy it for $5. LW 3D Applied and Essential LightWave v9 are very good too. I know everything is online now, but I still enjoy reading and referencing books.

there is also a new one that covers LightWave partly, by William Vaughan
    haven't bought it... [yet...]
    https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Model.../dp/0321700899

worth a look

edit; just read that the actual book comes with a DVD containing LightWave tutorials.
    Last edited by erikals; 07-19-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    there is also a new one that covers LightWave partly, by William Vaughan
    haven't bought it... [yet...]
    https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Model.../dp/0321700899

worth a look

edit; just read that the actual book comes with a DVD containing LightWave tutorials.
    I have this book and it's a very good at covering the principles, techniques, theory and practicalities of modelling. It's not written with any particular 3D software as it's focus but (even though I haven't opened and used) the accompanying DVD does indeed have training material utilises LightWave and Zbrush. I believe William Vaughan conducts the video tutorials and for that alone it's well worth the money, given his excellent teaching skills.

William's book is a must-read for anyone interested in getting into the industry. The majority of the topics presented were essentially verbatim lessons he gave us at the DAVE School.

CCC

If anyone is interested in Mr. Vaughan's book, I have one I can part with. Excellent condition. Just cover the postage and it's yours.

Edit: Sold!
    Last edited by sadkkf; 07-23-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Here's the publisher's preview of Digital Modeling:
    http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/image...0321700899.pdf
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I have that book (somewhere ), and William Vaughan is a genius for sure. Add to that his Modo topology book with principles quite applicable to Lightwave. Regarding video, William seems to opt for dense information-rich short bursts in the timeframe of a minute or so, but I always felt that for a man of his immense talents, a hardcore character modelling-scenarios masterclass would have been the go-to for years and years, like a chapter from the book massively blown out and expanded (even the Modo character class is by another teacher). But I guess WV is a very busy guy and we should be very grateful for what we have, which I am... My original post was chasing LW museum pieces for curiosity and interest, but it's a bit sad they never quite made it to print for whatever reason.

I'm pretty sure the L script one did.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    I have quite a few LW books but none of those. For me, one of the things that sets LW apart is its legacy of excellent training books, many of which are still relevant, especially with regard to modeler. The 1001 Tips and Tricks is a treasure chest of 3D wisdom, and you can buy it for $5.
    After reading this, I ordered a copy last week and within seconds of receiving it I had learned something new.

Apparently Rob Powers had contributed to it and in the 'About The Authors' section it mentions that he was "working on an upcoming James Cameron project".

I wonder what that could have been. Hmm?