Thread: Import Rman Collection

Import Rman Collection

Hello All,

Hoping to get a bit of assistance. I see a few on here have installed the Rman Collection and I am currently running into an issue (most likely due to ineptitude on my part)
    I have followed the instructions on the site to get the various bits and pieces and then import them into LW (I am running 2015.1 if that is required)
    I have loaded up the plugins (76 files get added from the plugin) and I have (I believe) extracted the textures to the correct locations.
    I open up Layout, check the texture presets, all the textures seem to be there.
    However, I am attempting to follow Prometheus' tutorial for baking clouds and when I open up my hypervoxel settings and proceed to the HyperTexture tab, the GardnerClouds textures is not there.

Is there a separate location that I need to install the SkyTracer files in the Rman Collection to?

I have tried them in the 'Skytracer2' folder and also the 'Surface Preset/Textures' folder, but neither seem to activate the option for GardnerClouds.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

There are two kinds of Rman collection textures, one of the is node textures, if you have installed those only..they will not show up in the hypertexture tab...you will have to hypervoxels node editor to gain acess to them..and initially also locate the Rman collection section in the nodes and add them from there.

Have you installed the Rman collection textures...then they should appear in the hypertexture drop down list...but be careful, it depends on what Lightwave version you use, you may have installed 64 bit textures and used lightwave 32 bit, or the opposite.
    You want these for them to show up directly within surface texturing or directly in the hypervoxels hypertexture drop down list..TEXTURES:

Download (Win32) Plugins RmanCollect_x32.zip
    (Updated 05-30-19)
    Download (Win64) Plugins RmanCollect_x64.zip
    (Updated 05-30-19)

The other ones is for when you go deeper with nodes, but they are essential if you use the newer volumetrics in 2019 since they rely on nodes initially, though you can access the above standard rman textures through nodes color and scalar layer nodes.
    The nodes are

NODES:

Download (LW9 Win32) Nodes RmanNodeCollect_x32.zip
    (Updated 05-30-19)
    Download (LW9 Win64) Nodes RmanNodeCollect_x64.zip

I always create a third party folder in Lightwaves plugins folder, and not mixing them with default plugins, just put them in there and add them manually through add plugins or scan that folder.
    But be aware of 64 bit and 32 bit, and the difference between rman textures..and rman node textures.

Sky tracer files? you donīt install anything there....or with that...skytracer is already installed, and it will just find any textures you have installed accordingly to the above procedure.

Thank you Prometheus.
    You are correct, I had failed to install the node plugin too, that was why it wasn't showing up.
    Seems to all be working correctly now thank you.

Also, awesome Cloud Tutorial btw. They look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic Budha View Post
    Thank you Prometheus.
    You are correct, I had failed to install the node plugin too, that was why it wasn't showing up.
    Seems to all be working correctly now thank you.

Also, awesome Cloud Tutorial btw. They look amazing.
    Thanks..which cloud tutorials?

The newer system will be better..hope to do some of that.

I believe I was following an old one. It was a post you made back in 2012.

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...ervoxel+clouds

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic Budha View Post
    I believe I was following an old one. It was a post you made back in 2012.

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...ervoxel+clouds
    huhh..those looks horrible with todays standard and what I know I can do with the new volumetrics, hvīs old legacy had a certain charm though, one thing to note is that gardner clouds detail is easier to get with the older system..in the new system
    they would need to implement a much better and advanced deep scattering light model than what we have now, something similar to what Terragen can do..so you can get both edges of a bulging procedural volume quite dard and also some mid parts..that is hard to accomplish with the new volumetrics since it tends to smooth out detail a lot, you can connect the texture itself in to various channels like emission absorbtion etc..to attenuate those kinds of detail.

But overall the lighting shading etc is much better with the volumetrics, much smoother edges, and more realistic..and the fact that we can use a cube plane item helps with larger skyscapes.