Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh come on, LW 2019.1 and still Modeler does not connect to the Hub

there is no sanctuary....
    I've often found I have to do the operations twice the first time to let LW or windows get the configs setup. Just installed 2019.1 and the first time I tried to send something to layout nothing happened. Second time, layout started, the object didn't go. Third time everything worked and it will continue to do so. Same going from layout to modeler. I've done that for new installs for years, has always worked for me.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 417.71
    LW 2019.1 x64
    Space Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by tburbage View Post
    ...No, I meant, if somebody ran the LW installer as Administrator, that's almost always a bad idea....
    There's some confusion about security. You should absolutely want installers to require admin access. If you executed the LW installer without granting it admin access or getting a UAC prompt for that admin access, then your system is not configured securely.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 07-20-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I've often found I have to do the operations twice the first time to let LW or windows get the configs setup. Just installed 2019.1 and the first time I tried to send something to layout nothing happened. Second time, layout started, the object didn't go. Third time everything worked and it will continue to do so. Same going from layout to modeler. I've done that for new installs for years, has always worked for me.
    I've seen that but it's intermittent.

Tried that specifically after installing .1 and didn't work. Tried a couple days later and it did. Just tried moments ago and Nope.

For me, intermittent = unreliable.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Agreed Tom,

This is an ongoing thing, effects some people and not others and it seems the solutions are always different for different people. LWG3D really need to get this sorted out once and for all.

I spoke to a dev from MS and he said people should not have to access data on a regular basis in the AppData folder, this is the reason its hidden. Apps put stuff there but not stuff you need to acess and change all the time. When i showed them what Blender does he was astounded but said well we cant stop them but there are lots of security implications to doing it.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    ...there are lots of security implications to doing it.
    The AppData folder exists per user to store user settings and content (cache) for their programs. It is the secure alternative to what Windows apps did in the past: store that same rewiteable data in the Program Files where multiple system users could access. In current Windows systems, the Program Files folder is protected from standard user modification.

The reason the AppData folder is hidden by default is to prevent users from casual/accidental tinkering with their settings. However, it is easy to expose its contents. The hiding of the folder has nothing to do with security. The folder is owned by the user.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

And thats the problem. With Blender by default all your addons are stored there. When you do updates sometimes the old stuff is not cleeared out properly so you have to do it manually. Also, some addons require assets to be put there as well, which in many cases you have to do yourself. I have never spent so much time in the AppData folder as i have since using Blender. Although now i have learned how to get around this default addons to AppData. By default this should not happen, Adobe, LW, Maya and many others do not stick plugins and or content in the AppData folder.

I did not say the the AppData folder is hidden because of security, it does according to MS Dev have implications for security, especially apparently putting python scripts in there that can contain virus or other undesirable stuff in them. Which when you run Blender can be executed. Anyway i dont know enough about these things, but dont like the idea of being in AppData so much.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Adobe, LW, and Maya all support executable scripting from outside of the Program Files folder.

In LW, you can store plugins/scripts in "C:\user\[yourname]\.NewTek\LightWave\[version]". This folder has no difference in security from the AppData folder. It is adjacent to it in the user folder (.NewTek / AppData).

If you have any script interpreter (python, etc) you're open to executing malware, regardless of where the script is stored.

Well it would seem for me at least that uninstalling 2019.0.3 did the trick. I had 2019.0.3 and 2019.1 installed, now ive uninstalled 2019.0.3 the hub SEEMS to be working now. Go figure.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12