Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh come on, LW 2019.1 and still Modeler does not connect to the Hub

Oh come on, LW 2019.1 and still Modeler does not connect to the Hub

We now have 2019.1, but still Modeler does not attach to the hub when i try to run layout from modeler.

Windows 10 permissions no doubt but its not MS problem to fix it.

You can see that the hub is running when i start modeler but still the layout button is greyed out.

Same with Layout, hub is running but clicking modeler or pressing F12 does not start modeler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modeler Not Attached to Hub.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	780.8 KB 
ID:	145461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modeler Not Attached to Hub 2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	722.0 KB 
ID:	145462  
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 07-17-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Frequenter
    just installed and checked: Works here. :-\
    Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1809 (29-Dec-18), OS Build 17763.615
    (What might make a difference, or not, I don´t know: Installed by "Run As Administrator" and in C:\Newtek\... as opposed to what probably most do: C:\Program Files\Newtek\...)

Yes that was it i have to set them to run as administrator. Bloody Windows 10.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

I'm not getting any sort of error message, but NOPE! Have a model in Modeler, click Send To Layout. Layout opens, but nothing gets sent. Once Layout is open though, then it's happy to receive the object.

And as I mention in another thread, Sync Layout doesn't work either.

About all I'm using the Hub for these days is to simply open an object from Layout, then close it & Exit Modeler. Once I close Layout & start Modeler, that object is in the Recently Opened list.

That's all I care to risk.

Not exactly an efficient workflow but beats having your model all phuqued up & loosing hours of work because Layout & the Hub can't figure it out.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Well by the looks of it this is a LW problem and not a W10 problem. I have no other software that has a problem getting through the firewall or communicating with others through a network.

This must be an install issue.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

I'm having no issues with either. Switch to Layout as well as Send Object to Layout both open Layout and sends the object to Layout as well as just sending the object to Layout if Layout is open. And in reverse going to Modeler from Layout works as expected in all combinations. This was definitely not the case with 2019.0.2 and .3 so I am happy to say that for me at least it's perfect.

Not sure if it's appropriate or not but why can't they use their NDI protocol for the communication between the two apps - it seems it's being used in the Unreal Bridge. Quote from website "LightWave 3DŽ enters the Real-Time Age for interchange with this workflow link between the Unreal Engine and LightWave 3DŽ, focusing on LightWave driving Unreal changes iteratively. Multiple LightWave seats are able to connect to the same Unreal Editor simultaneously to enable real-time collaboration between artists. The bridge uses NewTek's proven NDIŽ network discovery mechanism for easy automatic configuration, and can be limited to single project use in Unreal, or installed as a general plugin for use in all Unreal projects."
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Not so sure about NDI as i dont really know it but as you said if its used for Unreal Bridge then maybe there is no reason why not Tim.

Hub for better or worse is fundamental to the way LW works, it's the bridge between the two apps we have to deal with and all this "oh switch it off -0", or i just don't run it is really is just not good enough.

It should work all the time, but as we can see even now, years afterwards we are still wrangling with it, for some it works for others it does not.

You would not accept a new car if one of the indicators did not work.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Hub for better or worse is fundamental to the way LW works, it's the bridge between the two apps we have to deal with and all this "oh switch it off -0", or i just don't run it is really is just not good enough. It should work all the time, but as we can see even now, years afterwards we are still wrangling with it, for some it works for others it does not.
    I hear ya John. I have not been a Hub basher over the years because it has always worked for me. But 2018 and especially 2019 have not been a good experience for me. Hopefully 2019.1 will correct the issues I've had, but I need to do more work with it to see.
    One of the issues that cropped up for me with 2108 and above has been making surface changes in Layout and then going back to the model in Modeler and losing those changes. Pre 2018 you never had to save the object in Layout for fear of losing those changes when going back to Modeler. Keeping fingers crossed. I'm not working this week so I have not done any heavy duty testing.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

See its funny, i never had this problem in 2018 as i recall, for me it cropped up in 2019 the first time i installed it. I have however periodically had the problem before in much older versions of it not working sometimes. 2019 has really been a problem for me as far as hub goes. Every itteration just does not work between the two apps. Running as administrator is frankly not good enough as a work around. You should not have to do that with all the security implications that it has for the OS as a whole. I can transfer models from LW to ZBrush no problem at all, ive not really tried Unreal but if i can manage it through Modeler and ZBrush then why cant it happen between LW's 2 apps.

Using -0 is just disabling the hub which is also not the solution at all. Yes it works but then whats the point of having the hub then. Several tools in modeler dont work very well if at all or are destructive but i dont just go in and delete those that dont.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Immediately after installation, I manually launch each of the programs, after which the hub remembers their location and links them during operation.

Newbie Member
    Im feeling your pain. Ive installed lightwave 2019.3 as an Administrator, tried installing it directly to the C: drive. Nothing. Ive been a lightwave user since the Amiga days and havent run into this much toruble in a very long time. I can send an obect from lightwave to Modeler and it will open Modeler and load the object. I can load an object into Modeler and send it to Layout and as long as Layout is open, it will send the object. If Layout is closed, sending the object from Modeler to Layout will launch Layout but will not load the obect. If the object is sent a second time after it failed to load, Layout will load the object twice! After that any changes made from either app will not apear in the other.

This all seems to be a reccent problem and could be due to a windows update??? Either way Im half way through a project built in LW 2019 that was working fine at one point and now I have to run both programs separately, saving and reloading everytime I switch. Very frustrating!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly apreciated!
    Last edited by jgrennell; 07-18-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Oh indeed its a windows 10 permissions issue, im fairly sure of that. However its not MS's problem its NewTeks problem. I have no other apps that have a permissions issue with Windows 10 and some of them communicated with other Apps, like Adobe CC, ZBrush, Substance.

I tried to run them as administrator but now when i want to run them the UAC pops up asking me if i want to run these apps.

Its frankly laughable to say oh use the -0 switch or disable the UAC or run as administrator to get LightWave to run the way it is meant to run. No other app on my computer requires these tricks to be used to run.

Jeez.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 07-18-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Have you guys tried launching both apps independently, then doing the sync ups? When sync'ing between Layout and Modeler, and I do the same with GoZ/ZBrush interactions, I always manually launch the apps beforehand. Man of little faith, I suppose... :\

John, I agree with you that a user should generally never have to "Run as Administrator" to use an application -- that's usually a sign of problems the app vendor needs to correct. And installing as Admin is always a bad idea because it sets the user up for non-Admin access privileges errors down the line. If you think there's any chance you might have done that at some point, the best remedy would be a clean uninstall/reinstall.

The only other thought I had was differences in virus software and their differing firewall protections.
    Last edited by tburbage; 07-18-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Well, i have standard windows defender and also malwarebytes as well. Thing is all my other software can set itself up correctly with no issues at all, its only LightWave and the Hub that has this issue.

A full reinstall, do you mean of LW, well i could do. If you mean the OS, well that's not going to happen, everything else i have works flawlessly and im not going to go through the whole process of
    reinstalling the OS and then 800GB of software, when i am pretty sure it won't sort out the issue. I have never had a problem with Unreal or Goz Bridge at all.

We have been banging on about various hub issues for years now and still some of us seem to have problems. I agree Run As Admin or anything else like shutting off the UAC is a bad idea.

Funny thing talking about bad ideas, Blender puts everything in the AppData folder, when in mentioned it to a Blender Dev they saw no problem with it, the fact that its a hidden folder meaning
    it's not something you should be going into on a regular basis did not dissuade him at all. Since i installed Blender i have spent more time in AppData than i have since AppData was a thing.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 07-18-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Well, i have standard windows defender and also malwarebytes as well. Thing is all my other software can set itself up correctly with no issues at all, its only LightWave and the Hub that has this issue.

A full reinstall, do you mean of LW, well i could do. If you mean the OS, well that's not going to happen, everything else i have works flawlessly and im not going to go through the whole process of
    reinstalling the OS and then 800GB of software, when i am pretty sure it won't sort out the issue. I have never had a problem with Unreal or Goz Bridge at all.

We have been banging on about various hub issues for years now and still some of us seem to have problems. I agree Run As Admin or anything else like shutting off the UAC is a bad idea.

Funny thing talking about bad ideas, Blender puts everything in the AppData folder, when in mentioned it to a Blender Dev they saw no problem with it, the fact that its a hidden folder meaning
    it's not something you should be going into on a regular basis did not dissuade him at all. Since i installed Blender i have spent more time in AppData than i have since AppData was a thing.
    Only a Windows Support "helper" (who end up never helping) would offer up reinstalling the OS to fix a problem -- though I've seen it done!
    No, I meant, if somebody ran the LW installer as Administrator, that's almost always a bad idea.
    Yeah, I've never understood the AppData thing -- something should not be hidden when users commonly need to access it.
    I think the LW team needs to work with users who are having issues and figure out what the underlying problems really are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast