Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD Pro Render Plugin for Lightwave 3d 2020

I see some would not touch it, why is that?

Been testing it myself trough blender, one thing is for sure. Its much much faster then native lw. And the renderings are good. Lw native is sadly not good enough for us who works with archviz stuff. its way to slow .
    I'm a Norwegian photographer, check out my web site www.fotofashion.no

I’ve tested out blender pro render extensively. It is very fast and equal cycles render speed. The main thing that is slowing it down is the fact that it is a external render engine and need to take time to export the blender scene to the prorender engine. This adds 30-60 sec to the render time when you render for the first time. If they do decide to add native pro render support they will need to add it in a way that doesn’t require a scene conversion to the render engine.

Keep in mind, this can end up being dangerous for Lightwave if AMD decides to EOL Pro Render. This is probably the main reason that C4D Purchase Redshift even though they included native support for Pro Render. It would be best to support the current Lightwave solution while also supporting Pro Render.
    Last edited by thomascheng; 07-17-2019 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotofashion View Post
    I see some would not touch it, why is that?

Been testing it myself trough blender, one thing is for sure. Its much much faster then native lw. And the renderings are good. Lw native is sadly not good enough for us who works with archviz stuff. its way to slow .
    - it doesn't support all the shading yet, baking of procedurals
    - no nodal shading yet
    - limitations dor volume rendering and displacement
    - Speed, noise and stability
    - I have Redshift, Cycles and Vray with tons of material libraries

Having said that I never used the latest version of ProRender that now supports SSS, Motion Blur, OutofCore and AOVs so it got much more usable but I still see no reason using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    - it doesn't support all the shading yet, baking of procedurals
    - no nodal shading yet
    - limitations dor volume rendering and displacement
    - Speed, noise and stability
    - I have Redshift, Cycles and Vray with tons of material libraries

Having said that I never used the latest version of ProRender that now supports SSS, Motion Blur, OutofCore and AOVs so it got much more usable but I still see no reason using it.
    yes. and it is still in beta.

and still in its beta stage, its performing better then our native renderer for archviz stuff.. Maybe more then me are looking at moving their rendering work outside of LW. Sad that there is so many hybrid renders out there. And none is supported in LW.
    Last edited by Fotofashion; 07-17-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thomascheng View Post
    Keep in mind, this can end up being dangerous for Lightwave if AMD decides to EOL Pro Render. This is probably the main reason that C4D Purchase Redshift even though they included native support for Pro Render. It would be best to support the current Lightwave solution while also supporting Pro Render.
    Ending Pro Render would be problematic, but not necessarily a show-stopper, if AMD continues to provide SDK development tools up until EOL and releases it to open source if/when they made the decision.

Lightwave's renderer is good; but it is excruciatingly, painfully slow. Not JUST slow, but slow in a way that makes me want to punch my monitor.

The worst part of my day is telling a client how long it's going to take to complete a product, especially when I know that it is solely due to rendering.

I don't have the option to get an external renderer like Octane; it's just not feasible in my work environment for numerous reasons, Octane's subscription model being one primary consideration, although not the only one.

On a personal note, I dislike their entire sales model.

Unfortunately, so many other external render solutions are following the same business model, at least gearing toward subscription-based software as a service.

I agree that LWDG should continue to support the current renderer; but I desperately need a "native" GPU rendering solution. Barring that, I need a generational leap in CPU rendering speed that is software-driven and not reliant on innovations in CPU technology.

There are many things that LW needs work in; but I honestly feel like this one is huge.

It could also go the other way around, AMD ProRender gets frequent updates and can introduce killer functions as fast as the best out there. Just around the corner is real time raytracing GPUs that can be another revolution, that Nvidia and AMD drives into new areas like gaming and rendering.
    It could be a matter of survival for Lightwave, to keep up with the rapid GPU development.

Comment regarding materials. Latest ProRender for Blender 2.80 ships with a material translator and a library of 300 materials:
    "Blender native shader nodes are supported out of the box. Including the Blender Principled Shader node."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12