Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Pro Render Plugin for Lightwave 3d 2020

AMD Pro Render Plugin for Lightwave 3d 2020

AMD ProRender Plugins

AMD ProRender SDK

C'mon, Lightwave... all the cool kids are doing it.

Post it as a feature request.
    Even the uncool kids (grown ups?) have it like Solidworks, for mechanical engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Free4Ever View Post
    Post it as a feature request.
    Even the uncool kids (grown ups?) have it like Solidworks, for mechanical engineering.
    I know, right?

If the top level nerds can have it, why can't lower level nerds get it?

Well it makes sense that LW would go this route as they no longer have a dedicated rendering developer.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Well it makes sense that LW would go this route as they no longer have a dedicated rendering developer.
    Do they not? I thought they had one dedicated render dev.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Do they not? I thought they had one dedicated render dev.
    Mark Granger was responsible for the 2018 render engine and Antti Järvelä created the PBR shading system. Mark left a few months after the release of 2018. Can others pick up the slack? Maybe. The de-noiser was added in 2019, but have there been any render improvements or optimizations? Not to my knowledge. As shown by the Kray development, developing an all purpose rendering engine is quite the undertaking and Mark did a fine job (He works at Otoy now). If NT doesn't maintain and improve their native rendering I think they lose a valuable asset, but that doesn't mean 3rd party solutions like AMD should be ignored.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

I never use ProRender even tough it's integrated natively into my app. It's a slow render engine with mediocre quality. Cycles would be a better choice in my opinion.

Not sure how much Mark did really. Makes me wonder if things can move faster without someone else slowing down the development? Maybe

Anyway... Back on topic. I've never used AMDs renderer, but wouldn't mock a LW version if there was one available. I'd definitely give it a go!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    I never use ProRender even tough it's integrated natively into my app. It's a slow render engine with mediocre quality. Cycles would be a better choice in my opinion.
    Hmmm... well, different results are always a possibility depending on how textures and lighting are set up, but this gent seems to have gotten great results just a wee bit faster than Cycles using base PBR textures across all three tests.

Radeon Pro Render vs Foundry Modo vs Blender Cycles - PBR Comparison

Honestly, in the end I just want a GPU renderer; one that combines CPU+GPU is a bonus. Extra points for being free, if one could be developed for Lightwave.

The unique advantage or AMDs Prorender is that it can render on anything, CPU, AMD GPU and nvidia GPU, even combined CPU+GPU. No need to buy a new graphics card.

Also unique is that AMD drives it, meaning resources second only to Nvidia and at a much higher budget than any software company.
    Last edited by Free4Ever; 07-16-2019 at 01:08 PM.

the more the merrier ... make lightwave awesome again native renderer / kray renderer / octane renderer ....... why not add one more
    it really sucks ......

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Hmmm... well, different results are always a possibility depending on how textures and lighting are set up, but this gent seems to have gotten great results just a wee bit faster than Cycles using base PBR textures across all three tests.

Radeon Pro Render vs Foundry Modo vs Blender Cycles - PBR Comparison

Honestly, in the end I just want a GPU renderer; one that combines CPU+GPU is a bonus. Extra points for being free, if one could be developed for Lightwave.
    Interesting find thanks!

Depends how Cycles was rendered. Cycles CUDA is twice as fast as OpenCL in my tests. Rendertimes with more then 2min for Full HD is much for a GPU renderer with a simple model but there is almost no details about the settings and specs in that comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    AMD ProRender Plugins

AMD ProRender SDK

C'mon, Lightwave... all the cool kids are doing it.

ProRender is a waste.
    I wouldn't touch it if it was integrated in lw.

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Not sure how much Mark did really. Makes me wonder if things can move faster without someone else slowing down the development? Maybe

Anyway... Back on topic. I've never used AMDs renderer, but wouldn't mock a LW version if there was one available. I'd definitely give it a go!
    Antti is responsible for the new shading engine. Mark Granger developed the previous renderer , made VPR, fully replaced previous renderer with the tile renderer that it is now with support for the many render channel buffers. And he was interested in developing a GPU rendering solution so its a good thing he got that job at Otoy. So Mark did an awful lot and he's of big of loss to NT as David Ikeda was for Modeler.

Here's a quote of what he was contributed.
    "My area was the renderer itself. That is things like the ray intersections, the acceleration structures (both for the polygons and the primitive/objects), the edge intersections, the tiles, the multithreading model, the render buffers and the overall feature support of the renderer. I supported Antti's new shading system by making large changes to the new renderer as requested. Antti realized early on in the project that he could not implement the new shading system in the old LW renderer. Implementing the new one based on the VPR (which came from Core originally) was very time consuming and unfortunately not very exciting to talk about along the way. You would have seen it as more and more features supported by VPR in each new version. I had hoped to make the next version all about the renderer again and had recently been researching GPU ray tracing which looked like a sure thing to me."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast