Thread: Confirming succesful import of EPS from Inkscape To Lightwave 2019

Confirming succesful import of EPS from Inkscape To Lightwave 2019

Well..I think we discussed this in another thread..but canīt find it now.
    Anyway, I had issues before that Lightwave didnīt read in EPS files from Inkscape, I am not sure if it was Rayek or Xswampy who showed me that it should work, I think I tried with 2019 demo, but no sucess.

Since I now have the full 2019 version, I was trying that out again, and yes..it now works to import the eps file, so it doesnīt seem to be an Inkscape issue, but rather that 2015 eps loader couldnīt deal with it, or the 2019 demo version at that time.

So all good now, though I would like an SVG format importer as well.

So that is a free alternative for shapes and paths if not using Illustrator, but you got to upgrade to 2019 most likely.

Notes...
    Not fully working..still have issues with holes not autodrilled properly, will have to check inkscape options of combining and flattening, flatten beziers etc, with svg to blender I have no issues with that though.

FWIW, I have ALWAYS had issues with holes not being auto-drilled with the EPS loader. The most important thing with the EPS was saving it as the version 8. After version 8 Adobe was putting in additional information that no other program (even Adobe After Effects) knew what to do with.

EPS, although a standard, is still owned by Adobe. It is one of the reasons I have requested in the past for the support of SVG files. But it is difficult to convince anyone to buck "the standard".

As I recall...I could get autodrill to work with illustrator and Lightwave, but I do not have acess to illustrator currently.

Got it working now with autoaxis drill.

must have missed the proper steps when preparing the inkscape file for export.

Anyway..the process is if you draw a rectangle, then a circle...select them both and use path difference, that will make a hole in the rectangle, but go to path combine before you save it to eps.

if you have letīs say 2 holes, then you need to select both circles and use path combine, then difference to have the both circles drill away in the inkscape drawing, then select all and go to path combine again, then save out as eps.

SVG is cooler though, at least how blender handles it, It maintains color per shape, I can edit the curves as I see fit with handles, I can add thickness in one go, or wireframe thickness etc, and you can of course animate any of the paths in one go.
    This is due to how it is maintained as shape curves, while lightwave simply imports it with closed polys or splines, if closed polys that is already setup to modify with any modeling tool, while in blender you have to convert it to a mesh first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eps import.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	145445

Are you on a PC or Mac? If you are on a Mac I got this program called Image Vectorizer which I can use to convert a bitmap to a vector then I save it out as a dxf file then upload it to DXF to AI website and it will allow Lightwave to load it in. I think the software is like $2.99 real expensive

Quote Originally Posted by grafxstudio View Post
    Are you on a PC or Mac? If you are on a Mac I got this program called Image Vectorizer which I can use to convert a bitmap to a vector then I save it out as a dxf file then upload it to DXF to AI website and it will allow Lightwave to load it in. I think the software is like $2.99 real expensive
    im not sure you understood..that its all good now with inkscape and eps...and it imports ok in lightwave.

and i also use inkscape to svg to blender ..then export to lightwave..

so buying into what you suggest and also upload to a website is just out of question.
    and further more..i am on a pc...

converting bitmaps can be done in inkscape by tracing bitmap.